Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No playoff's 2 of the last 3 seasons...
2/8 against GB and Chicago. 

What we've been going through as fans is a far cry from the bright days of the franchise.

Time for some house-cleaning Zyg's...

not happening

Quote: @rf54 said:
not happening
House cleaning can take many forms...The hightlight of the last 3 years was KC to Rudie vs Saints and that seems like a long time ago. 

The malaise for the Viking franchise transcends a Covid season with 95% of the D's front 7 gone.

I've defended Zimmer here recently for certain aspects that were being unfairly put against him, but yeah.....its time to move on after next season. He's not going anywhere until after the 2021 season. I'd like to see Minnesota take a swing at a young modern QB by the end of round 3, but not sure that happens. I also think its possible that the Wilfs could dismiss Zimmer and keep Spielman after next year. I think the HC position would be attractive to potential candidates as the Wilfs are patient. 

I think the most likely scenario is that Minnesota becomes a 10 or 11 win team next year and nobody goes anywhere. Perpetual purgatory for Viking's fans. 

I said yesterday that if they don't reach at least the NFC Championship next year Zimmer will be gone. Spielman stays I believe.

So here is one perspective...
Why The Vikings Should Fire... Nobody Important 

Vikings Hall of Fame coach Bud Grant said it’s better to have good players than good coaches, and the proof of that wisdom has been on display this season. Bill Belichick, lord of the rings and master of the Patriots dynasty, but faced with the loss of several core players this season, finds himself out of the postseason, as does Kyle Shanahan (and Robert Saleh), who were coaching in the Super Bowl last February. Are these suddenly bad coaches? Shanahan has dealt with more than one injury-plagued season, but somehow regained his coaching prowess last season when his core players returned to health, and were joined by draft picks from a top draft position. Funny how that works. 
Mike Zimmer has endured similar cycles. In 2016 he started out 5-0 despite losing his starting QB the week before the season opener. But then injuries ravaged the offensive line and he ended up 8-8 for the season. The following year he once again lost his starting QB early on, but managed to stay relatively healthy otherwise, and ended up 13-3. 
The NFL is at least partly a demolition derby, where the teams that make the playoffs and advance the farthest are often the ones with the fewest injuries to core players. This year Covid and opt-outs have added to the inactive lists across the league. Every team has been effected to some degree, but the Vikings defense has been among the hardest hit. 

And so the best way forward is to allow injured players to heal and get ready for the off-season, and begin the process of roster evaluation, identifying the weak links, getting rid of the dead wood, and identifying options for bringing in needed talent. 

This is not an off-season for sweeping changes, but objective evaluations of player performance and future outlook, with the objective of bolstering the weak spots in the roster - which are not so numerous once injured players return. Importantly, it’s also an off-season to catch-up on lost time in developing young players.
The evaluation process should begin with GM and coaching staff, again identifying weak links, and eliminating those after considering and securing better alternatives. Some consideration of overall hierarchy is worthwhile as well.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/12/26...-important

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
So here is one perspective...
Why The Vikings Should Fire... Nobody Important 

Vikings Hall of Fame coach Bud Grant said it’s better to have good players than good coaches, and the proof of that wisdom has been on display this season. Bill Belichick, lord of the rings and master of the Patriots dynasty, but faced with the loss of several core players this season, finds himself out of the postseason, as does Kyle Shanahan (and Robert Saleh), who were coaching in the Super Bowl last February. Are these suddenly bad coaches? Shanahan has dealt with more than one injury-plagued season, but somehow regained his coaching prowess last season when his core players returned to health, and were joined by draft picks from a top draft position. Funny how that works. 
Mike Zimmer has endured similar cycles. In 2016 he started out 5-0 despite losing his starting QB the week before the season opener. But then injuries ravaged the offensive line and he ended up 8-8 for the season. The following year he once again lost his starting QB early on, but managed to stay relatively healthy otherwise, and ended up 13-3. 
The NFL is at least partly a demolition derby, where the teams that make the playoffs and advance the farthest are often the ones with the fewest injuries to core players. This year Covid and opt-outs have added to the inactive lists across the league. Every team has been effected to some degree, but the Vikings defense has been among the hardest hit. 

And so the best way forward is to allow injured players to heal and get ready for the off-season, and begin the process of roster evaluation, identifying the weak links, getting rid of the dead wood, and identifying options for bringing in needed talent. 

This is not an off-season for sweeping changes, but objective evaluations of player performance and future outlook, with the objective of bolstering the weak spots in the roster - which are not so numerous once injured players return. Importantly, it’s also an off-season to catch-up on lost time in developing young players.
The evaluation process should begin with GM and coaching staff, again identifying weak links, and eliminating those after considering and securing better alternatives. Some consideration of overall hierarchy is worthwhile as well.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/12/26...-important
This!/\   /\   /\   /\   /\   

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I've defended Zimmer here recently for certain aspects that were being unfairly put against him, but yeah.....its time to move on after next season. He's not going anywhere until after the 2021 season. I'd like to see Minnesota take a swing at a young modern QB by the end of round 3, but not sure that happens. I also think its possible that the Wilfs could dismiss Zimmer and keep Spielman after next year. I think the HC position would be attractive to potential candidates as the Wilfs are patient. 

I think the most likely scenario is that Minnesota becomes a 10 or 11 win team next year and nobody goes anywhere. Perpetual purgatory for Viking's fans. 
Looking at next year's schedule I'd say 6-7 wins is more realistic.

next years team will be very different from the team you saw Friday against the Saints

No worries, it’s an odd year next season...  Wink B)