Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zimmer on defense

Ouch...

I know its been a tough year, but I can read into that statement and begin to start concluding things are kinda rotting around there in Eagan. 

Not sure how that endears you to the troops. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Ouch...

I know its been a tough year, but I can read into that statement and begin to start concluding things are kinda rotting around there in Eagan. 

I don't think that's his focus. He has been known as the defensive guru and now there is this. He can't hide. He has a lot of questions to answer and work to do.

Ouch...

A defense that plays that poorly does not deserve soft selling the debacle, they totally sucked.  I don't believe they would expect anything less.  Coaches better develop a plan that at least attempts to resolve the problems and return some pride in their play.

the majority of that front 7 were coveted draft picks by Spelly and Zim, to me it looks like most are not even backup level.

Pierce opts out,
Hunter is in limbo with neck injury,
Kendricks has been out several games,
patchwork DL,
Rookie DBs (although they have played better than expected)

Really miss the leadership & moxy of guys like Griff & Linvall Jospeh.  

Ouch...

I think the troops know what's going on. As does Zimmer. You could see it in his body language on the sideline. There's just nothing he can do. Linebackers stop the run. Barr is out. Kendricks is out, Kendricks' backup is out. Kendricks' backup's backup is out. 

I'm actually more surprised by people's reaction to it. As if, I guess, they expected the Vikings to somehow stop Alvin Kamara and the Saints with 3rd and 4th string linebackers? One of which was playing wide receiver 2 years ago? LOL

It's just a lost season and it has been since Pierce opted out and the injuries to an already young defense started to pile up. Draft season starts early this year. 

Quote: @"Vanguard83" said:
Pierce opts out,
patchwork DL,

Excuse me did this just happen? We knew all these (minus the Kendrick's injury) going into the start of the season so this sounds more like an excuse. Other teams lose players left and right and still manage to compete.

Quote: @"mblack" said:
@"Vanguard83" said:
Pierce opts out,
patchwork DL,

Excuse me did this just happen? We knew all these (minus the Kendrick's injury) going into the start of the season so this sounds more like an excuse. Other teams lose players left and right and still manage to compete.
A win wasn't necessarily a possibility,   but surrendering that kind of ass whooping to a known commodity for 60 minutes with no answer,    thats not all about lack of talent.  Other teams with inferior talent haven't laid down like this defense did to Kamara.

Zimmer said when he got here if he ever got fired it would be for doing it his way,  I have to respect him for his conviction at least.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"mblack" said:
@"Vanguard83" said:
Pierce opts out,
patchwork DL,

A win wasn't necessarily a possibility,   but surrendering that kind of ass whooping to a known commodity for 60 minutes with no answer,    thats not all about lack of talent.  Other teams with inferior talent haven't laid down like this defense did to Kamara.

Zimmer said when he got here if he ever got fired it would be for doing it his way,  I have to respect him for his conviction at least.
Agreed. I went onto the game knowing it was going to be tough - hence a close game that would go either way. Well it was close for the first 10 minutes after that it was like one team was playing a CFL game. Those are not my words. They are Sean Payton's. He said they were converting first downs in first and second tries. I don't know how else to call that besides a no show from the Vikings. Zimmer is completely out of his depth and should be relieved of his duties. It was fun while it lasted.