Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Online Cheating
https://www.yahoo.com/news/west-point-ca...15653.html

I put this story up only as an example of a WAY more systemic issue going on everywhere. Elementary, high school and college kids are cheating their way thru COVID online schooling. Its insane, we are going to raise the dumbest class of students graduating than maybe ever. Its either the kids are cheating themselves or even more disgusting, parents are DOING THEIR KIDS tests in elementary and junior high at home. I've read at least a half dozen articles about this phenomenon, spoke to one teacher and 2 college students who brazenly admitted they do it and so does everyone else. Teachers are also under pressure to give 'better' grades because of the pandemic. Remember 'everyone gets a trophy?.  Well now 'everyone gets an A'. 

It's rampant. This is Penn, an Ivy League School.

https://www.thedp.com/article/2020/10/ch...penn-covid

It's awful but some people are going to do this. The fact that parents are doing it says a lot about the lack of morals and principles and that has nothing to do with rich or poor, single or married (Lori McLaughlin, Felicity Huffman), it's setting a horrible example. The ripple effect will be felt. The article said that some teachers are trying to put measures in place. I think the best they can do is open book.

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
It's awful but some people are going to do this. The fact that parents are doing it says a lot about the lack of morals and principles and that has nothing to do with rich or poor, single or married (Lori McLaughlin, Felicity Huffman), it's setting a horrible example. The ripple effect will be felt. The article said that some teachers are trying to put measures in place. I think the best they can do is open book.
Cheating academically has been going on since education was a thing, but now its crazy bad. Had a buddy in college who paid for someone to take his Final in a class he was struggling in....just straight up gave him his I.D., paid him $50 (this was 20+ years ago) and it was done. A V.P. I worked with years ago did his daughter's Marketing presentation final her senior year of college for her. 100% all of it. A friend just recently had someone do her daughter's college entrance essay for her, paid $250. Rationalized it the whole time. There's a cottage industry out there for this stuff now. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Vikergirl said:
Cheating academically has been going on since education was a thing, but now its crazy bad. Had a buddy in college who paid for someone to take his Final in a class he was struggling in....just straight up gave him his I.D., paid him $50 (this was 20+ years ago) and it was done. A V.P. I worked with years ago did his daughter's Marketing presentation final her senior year of college for her. 100% all of it. A friend just recently had someone do her daughter's college entrance essay for her, paid $250. Rationalized it the whole time. There's a cottage industry out there for this stuff now. 
Yeah I know. I remember being asked if I would write papers for people but I refused. I remember some of the football team stole the economics exam from the teacher. He was also a coach on the team so nothing happened to them. There will always be someone trying to find an unfair advantage and it sucks for those who don't cheat. 

We are told, taught in fact, that Cheaters never prosper.  As I have aged and worked in the corporate world, followed religious leaders, politicians, athletes, students etc,  I realize that the opposite is closer to the truth.  

I don't regret having/attempting to have higher morals and passing that on to my children but I also want my kids to know that in many cases cheaters do prosper.  It is evident every day and our culture turns a blind eye or even glorifies it some ways.  

Quote: @minny65 said:
We are told, taught in fact, that Cheaters never prosper.  As I have aged and worked in the corporate world, followed religious leaders, politicians, athletes, students etc,  I realize that the opposite is closer to the truth.  

I don't regret having/attempting to have higher morals and passing that on to my children but I also want my kids to know that in many cases cheaters do prosper.  It is evident every day and our culture turns a blind eye or even glorifies it some ways.  
Its very situation dependent as adults, but almost universally those that cheat when younger are only cheating themselves. The amount of rationalizing and enabling that parents do on a daily basis about their kids is another thing altogether. If you teach your kids that cheating is ok, that leads down a slippery slope for them in other facets of their lives. Cheating on the golf course and kicking your ball out of a divot is harmless.....but doesn't it tell you something about that person's character? It does a little. It doesn't matter in the grand scheme and high view at 30,000 feet but on the ground level that is our daily lives, it matters. Doing things the right way matters....and it always will. I love the term 'do the right thing when nobody is looking'....it really says it all for me. I don't always succeed in that, but I strive too. 

I cheated in high school and often had other kids asking for help.  But a teacher made an impact when she told me I wasn't really helping them when I allowed them to cheat off me.  It truly is only cheating yourself when you deny yourself the opportunity to be educated.  I made it through because I was smart enough, but had to learn the lessons on the impact of cheating later on.  Raising kids opens your eyes in many ways, mostly to the shortcomings in ourselves.