Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So what do you draftniks think of QB Kellen Mond?
He's creeping up the boards, but is he a viable option in your opinion? I go back and forth on the guy. He's a 4 year starter, I believe, so he's played a lot of games which is important I think. Young kid, will be only 21 when drafted. 6'3", 220 lbs with upside to carry some more muscle. Mobile. Pretty good arm. Not saying he's a 1st round guy, but he seems to gathering some good press lately. Highly recruited coming out of high school. Calm and cool in the pocket.

It you watch the Florida vs TX A&M game, Mond had the better game, and I thought he had more zip on his passes (stronger arm) that Trask did.

Now with that said, the Florida game may have been his best game of his career. You can see Mond's upside in that game, but the knock on him is he is NOT always that consistently good.

Jimbo Fisher has him more of a pocket passer this year. The thing I like about Mond is he has improved every year and is an athletic QB who has done a great job protecting the football this year.

The Aggies have a great offensive line and a dominant running game which helps any QB. Mond has not really had to win games or throw a lot this year compared to other QBs like Trask, Wilson or Mac Jones

Mond's style of play this year kind of fits how the Vikings like to win games. I can see him being a good fit in Minnesota.

Because this draft class is loaded at QB... I can see Mond dropping to the mid to late rounds... and some team getting GREAT value with him.

I could be wrong, but I see a Dak Precott type of ceiling in Mond.

I have a man crush on the 2021 QB class. I don't know if I have ever liked the top 10 QB's the way I do this group. Yes, I would love to land a Trey Lance or Zach Wilson in round 1, but this class has talent in the mid to late rounds too when you consider Mond, Mac Jones, Jamie Newman and Desmond Ridder among others who might still be on the board when the Vikings are on the clock in the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds.

Because we are locked into Cousins for 2 more years, I think it makes sense to draft an athletic "developmental" QB with upside in the later rounds... and I would love to see Mond as that selection.       

Quote: @Carl Knowles said:

I have a man crush on the 2021 QB class. I don't know if I have ever liked the top 10 QB's the way I do this group. Yes, I would love to land a Trey Lance or Zach Wilson in round 1, but this class has talent in the mid to late rounds too when you consider Mond, Mac Jones, Jamie Newman and Desmond Ridder among others who might still be on the board when the Vikings are on the clock in the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds.

Because we are locked into Cousins for 2 more years, I think it makes sense to draft an athletic "developmental" QB with upside in the later rounds... and I would love to see Mond as that selection.       
Good stuff here, Carl. I totally agree. 

Kellen has played in some big games. Good kid!

Hard pass

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
Hard pass
Yeah, I flip back and forth on the kid. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
Hard pass
Yeah, I flip back and forth on the kid. 
Just isnt accurate enough for me. Also, he has a weird throwing motion. He legit reminds me of Kaepernick

Not sure what you mean about his throwing motion? It's compact and very quick and the ball comes out with zip. Philip Rivers has a weird throwing motion!!

What QB in the mid to late rounds of the draft would you take over Mond??? Kaepernick was a second round pick with little football IQ. 

The Elite 11 is the nations's premier quarterback competition and Elite 11 QB coach Tony Ballard said this about Mond: 
  1. Balllard’s Breakdown
    "His intelligence and cerebral nature to his game, that came out here in this setting. He’s a very smart kid who understands coverages and things of that nature. One thing that I kind of pushed him on and worked with him on is his footwork: speeding up his drops and getting set up quickly so he can understand what the defensive is trying to do to him. He did a great job. I was very impressed with him from start to finish. He did an excellent job. In my opinion, he was the best quarterback here, period."

4th or 5th rounder, if you want to draft a back-up with a chance to develop.  If you are looking at him to be your QB of the future... no thanks 

Quote: @Carl Knowles said:
Not sure what you mean about his throwing motion? It's compact and very quick and the ball comes out with zip. Philip Rivers has a weird throwing motion!!

What QB in the mid to late rounds of the draft would you take over Mond??? Kaepernick was a second round pick with little football IQ. 

The Elite 11 is the nations's premier quarterback competition and Elite 11 QB coach Tony Ballard said this about Mond: 
  1. Balllard’s Breakdown
    "His intelligence and cerebral nature to his game, that came out here in this setting. He’s a very smart kid who understands coverages and things of that nature. One thing that I kind of pushed him on and worked with him on is his footwork: speeding up his drops and getting set up quickly so he can understand what the defensive is trying to do to him. He did a great job. I was very impressed with him from start to finish. He did an excellent job. In my opinion, he was the best quarterback here, period."

I retract my weird motion statement, I must have been thinking about someone else. My issue with Mond is he can come out and look good or he can be really really bad. I believe LSU this year and last year he looked like he couldnt even throw a football. If we are talking 3-4th round for a QB then i'm open to Ridder from Cincinnati or Sam Ehlinger. Ehlinger had a bad year this year throwing the ball % wise, but the two years prior he was much better.