Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zimmer Time Up Fact
Zimmer is in his 7th year as head coach. Name the last coach who was with a team that long, didn’t reach Super Bowl by year 7 but did afterwards?  I’m having hard time finding one. 
I think Wilf’s should thank him for his service and move on.

From the top of my head: Bill Cowher

Wrong: he reached it after his 4th season, just didn't win it. It took him 10 years to get there again though.

Tom Landry.  But this is a stupid argument.  

Marvin Lewis was with the Bengals 16 years and didn't win a playoff game. Jim Mora is another.

Dennis Green was Vikes coach for 9 years and never went to a Super Bowl, much less win one. Just pointing out that being with a team seven years and not going to a Super Bowl is not that rare.

Well, Andy Reid joined the Chiefs in 2013 and reached the Super Bowl in his 7th season (2019). So Zimmer could match that by winning the SB this season. I'm not holding my breath..

I think the similarities between Reid and Zimmer end with his years of service. First, Reid had 14 years as an NFL HC before joining the Chiefs. A lot of coaches (Pete Carrol, Bill Belichick to name a couple) were far better in their second term as a coach - I've often thought Zimmer could be a better coach if we fired him and he took that experience elsewhere.

More importantly, look at the Chiefs' record during Reid's tenure: 11-5, 9-7, 11-5, 12-4, 10-6, 12-4, 12-4. The team stayed strong, generally improving. But Zimmer's is 7-9, 11-5, 8-8, 13-3, 8-7-1, 10-6. He's up and down every other season, and that follows his strength of schedule. His better years happen when he gets to play a 3rd-place schedule.

I'm in agreement, just had to cite the Reid comparison.

My point is that Zimmer is never going to get this team to the Super Bowl. Never.

Based on your many years of NFL coaching and GM experience?  What team are you coaching or GMing for?

Name 4 team fan groups that have waited at least 45 years to get to a superbowl?

I've been alive forever
And I wrote the very first song
I put the words and the melodies together
I am music and I write the songs