Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calling BS on Kicking
In the past ~30 hours I have seen many posts on this board, other boards, and in news articles which assert: "Vikings would have defeated Tampa if Dan Bailey hadn't screwed up". We lost by 12 and Bailey failed on kicks which could have totaled 10. I know people are already typing furiously to tell me how Tampa would not have kicked the first half FG if they hadn't taken over so close (because you are certain they wouldn't have run it back at least as far against our ace coverage units?) or the momentum or team morale would have been different (because guessing the enthusiasm of Vikings teams is such an exact science?) Time of possession, yardage...football isn't about either of those, it is about points, and even if Bailey was perfect, looks like a 26-24 loss by my math.

I'm not here to defend Bailey really. Keep him, replace him...I don't personally believe there is anyone on this staff able to either help him fix his issues or able to identify and manage another kicker, so they may as well wait. But there is another angle to many of these rants, which is basically: "Poor Mike Zimmer would have a better record and probably a couple championships if not for bad kicking."

Seriously? First, kickers are unpredictable (if not nuts). What coach pins his career and his team's fate on kicking? Do you think maybe Zimmer should know that, because maybe he got a pretty strong lesson in that around January 2016?? So if he is counting on kicking to win games, he is either stupid, or has a team that can barely compete and has to take that risk. So he's not coaching a team that can compete for a championship.

Besides: Field Goals are CONSOLATION PRIZES. Hey Zimmer, the point of football is to get ALL THE WAY to the end zone - sorry if that means building an offense that can consistently drive 50, 60, 70 yards and punch it in. I guess it would be nicer just take a punt somewhere like your own 35, get a couple first downs and get to the opponents 40 and get 3 points. Should we call the 40 yard line the "Nice Try Zone" and make 3 points automatic?

My hunch is that Spielman and Zimmer are secretly happy to have the kicker kerfuffle, because they can cut Bailey and fire Malouf and say, "We were just a kicker away from the playoffs!" It will be another excuse to present to the Wilfs.

It sucks that Bailey has been off. I think they have to have different play options for those long kicks when they don't trust their kicker. But I didn't think putting him out there for the long kick was a good idea. There were a lot of points left on the field. They could have sustained some drives too. The kicking issue has reared its ugly head. You have to have a reliable kicker. I prefer the touchdowns. I prefer aggressive play calling but Zimmer doesn't and at this moment he is still the coach. The momentum shift from all the misses was not good. The shot to Bailey's confidence was not good. But here we are again waiting to see what happens next.

what I wouldnt give to have a young ho

Every missed kick including the extra point totally deflated the team, it was a lot more than just the points.  Ultimately, we lost the game because we didn't punch in TDs when we had the chance which has been a problem all year, but to say that the the missed FGs would have only accounted for 10 points is not taking the totality of the game into consideration. 

Did you see Bailey's body language on his first XP attempt?? Horrible. I looked at my wife and said, 'Look at him....he's going to miss it'. 

Punting is consolation defense.....
We should not have any punters Just give the opponent the ball at the 50,40 or 30 yard line and play good defense. That's what the defense is supposed to do - stop the opponent from scoring. Right? Sorry if that means building a defense that consistently stops opponents from scoring and not letting them reach the "nice try zone" even so they can't get the "automatic" three points.
Back to kickers....They are all unpredictable and no coach pins his teams faith on them or counts on the kicker to win a game. Not Bill Belichick who had two superbowl wins decided by the leg of a kicker
As a matter of fact using your thought process no one should care about special teams... not John Harbaugh, not Joe Judge and certainly not Zimmer.

Quote: @JR44 said:
Every missed kick including the extra point totally deflated the team, it was a lot more than just the points.  Ultimately, we lost the game because we didn't punch in TDs when we had the chance which has been a problem all year, but to say that the the missed FGs would have only accounted for 10 points is not taking the totality of the game into consideration. 
This. But it's not just about the psychology of it. The missed kicks also took us out of our game plan, which was working well. 

Quote: @Jor-El said:

Hey Zimmer, the point of football is to get ALL THE WAY to the end zone - sorry if that means building an offense that can consistently drive 50, 60, 70 yards and punch it in. 
Well then, you'll be pleased to know that offense has been, indeed, built.  

You know there are sites that track Red Zone efficiency?  
Before the Tampa game, the Vikes O was ranked 3rd in the league in "TD only" efficiency, less than 1% point of the league best. 

NFL Football Stats - NFL Team Red Zone Scoring Percentage (TD only) on TeamRankings.com

After the Tampa game, they've dropped to 5th. 
(adjust the date on the link) 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Did you see Bailey's body language on his first XP attempt?? Horrible. I looked at my wife and said, 'Look at him....he's going to miss it'. 
I noticed this too. When he trotted out for the first field goal attempt I was thinking oh boy, there is a very good chance he misses this. I knew he stood no chance with the 50 yarder, but we should have punted that anyway.

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@StickyBun said:
I noticed this too. When he trotted out for the first field goal attempt I was thinking oh boy, there is a very good chance he misses this. I knew he stood no chance with the 50 yarder, but we should have punted that anyway.
I said punt it when I was watching the game. Each miss was a huge momentum killer.