Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Captain Clutch!
Way to win it today, Kirk - great throws when the team needed it![Image: Cc5-fmzE_400x400.jpg]

He has been playing well lately and has done a better iob of taking care of the ball. He kept the passing attack moving without Thielen and Smith and he has cut down on the dumb interceptions, though the fumbles are still a problem. The hard part with Cousins is a lack of consistency, he can be your best friend and lead a clutch game winning drive or your worst enemy and implode with turnovers. He’s done enough to quiet a lot of people wanting him gone, but I still think we should draft a development QB and maybe even take one early if one of the top QBs falls to us.

You can tell the coaching staff doesn't trust him to throw (or the O line) early in the game.  THEN when we fall behind substantially, they expect him to come back and win the game, which is a tall order, knowing that EVERYONE knows you're throwing. 

Honestly Cousins gets way more $hit than he deserves IMO.  I honestly think our coaching handcuffs our QB's.
Mix it up a little. TE's, screens, Play-action, slants, and chuck that sucker deep once in a while & keep defenses honest. 
You don't give Mario Andretti the keys to a Ferrari, and tell him to drive in LA bumper to bumper traffic during rush hour.

Just my opinion.

Need to get Cleveland back

In a different universe with a decent team, Cousins could have been viewed in a better light and more weight would be given to his accomplishments. He's not perfect, but he's an accurate passer that will stand in the pocket and make plays. Underrated arm. The media has decided to slam Cousins over the course of his career instead of highlighting things like what Vikergirl posted. When you are in the company of Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers in some category you are doing something very right. 

Wonder if not having his top target on the field, let's him look at the field more.

To me, I think Cousins is good enough to win us a SB with most of the other pieces in place.  But all the other pieces are not nearly in place.  The Defense is a shell of itself from being Top 5ish for most of Zimmer stint.  ST are horrible but just like the defense we are in rebuild mode with a lot of youth.  Coaching is another area that I am convinced is not good enough in clutch games more so then Cousins.  Just when our Offense is clicking the other phases of the game fell/fall apart.

If we limp into a playoff scenario it will be because of Cousins and the offense.  Not that I think we will.

Cousins is so close to being a Top QB instead of a fringe Top 10 IMO.  If he just had a better pocket presence and a little more athleticism to move around in the pocket he would be a Top QB - IMO.  But those are not learnable skills especially 9 years in.  He seems to scramble right into pass pressure or fall back into the pocket instead of stepping up on many occasions.  With better pass protection he can overcome those limitations and win the big one, again my opinion.  

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Need to get Cleveland back
This x 100. The entire first half it felt like Cousins was being pressured and I thought a lot of pressure came from the middle. Not having Irv or Thielen definitely hurt, but Jefferson and Bisi were getting open. I think Carolina's DL was gassed on that last drive as the OL held up pretty good and Kirk picked them apart.

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
You can tell the coaching staff doesn't trust him to throw (or the O line) early in the game.  THEN when we fall behind substantially, they expect him to come back and win the game, which is a tall order, knowing that EVERYONE knows you're throwing. 

Honestly Cousins gets way more $hit than he deserves IMO.  I honestly think our coaching handcuffs our QB's.
Mix it up a little. TE's, screens, Play-action, slants, and chuck that sucker deep once in a while & keep defenses honest. 
You don't give Mario Andretti the keys to a Ferrari, and tell him to drive in LA bumper to bumper traffic during rush hour.

Just my opinion.
That is the Zimmer idea of offense. Run the ball and run it some more. So long as Zimmer is here get used to that its not the lack of trust. The head coach does not want it. You have to stay in line or you will be fired/made to quit or called out in public then later fired. He is not a fan of a throwing offense. That's the reason I worry about drafting a QB while he is head coach. Maybe he will change his philosophy but I doubt it. 
He is doing one thing right though...if he is going to be a head coach, he will do it his way.... a true Parcells disciple.