Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GM Does About Face...
General Motors is changing course and will no longer back President Donald Trump's effort to stop California from setting its own emissions rules in an ongoing court fight.
GM CEO Mary Barra said Monday that GM is withdrawing from preemption litigation between California, the Trump Administration and other non-government groups. In reaction to the move, President-elect Joe Biden said innovation and manufacturing will be priorities in his administration.
The move comes days after GM said it is increasing the number of electric vehicles it will bring to market. GM will offer 30 new EVs by 2025, up from its previous goal to offer 20 by 2023.
Barra said GM's EV goals align with Biden's endorsement of EVs.
In a letter from Barra to 11 environmental leaders, she wrote, "We are confident that the Biden Administration, California, and the U.S. auto industry, which supports 10.3 million jobs, can collaboratively find the pathway that will deliver an all-electric future. To better foster the necessary dialogue, we are immediately withdrawing from the preemption litigation and inviting other automakers to join us."
Barra said GM is "inspired" by Biden’s Build Back Better plan, which looks to expand EV adoption, create one million jobs, install 550,000 charging stations, and "position American autoworkers and manufacturers to win the race for electrification." 
Biden, California and GM "are aligned to address climate change" by reducing emissions, Barra also wrote.
Political praiseBiden said the automaker's decision is good for the economy, the planet and the long-term success of autoworkers. 
"GM’s decision reinforces how shortsighted the Trump Administration’s efforts to erode American ingenuity and America’s defenses against the climate threat truly are," Biden said in a statement. "In addition to advancing our ambitious climate goals, this decision will have a positive ripple effect as our nation strives to outcompete our global competitors, create good-paying union jobs here at home, and reclaim our place as leaders in innovation and manufacturing — all of which will be priorities in my administration."
GM’s choice to work with Biden and California is central to Biden's Build Back Better plan, he said, noting that he discussed it with Barra and UAW President Rory Gamble last week along with other business and labor leaders.
GM's electric futureGM unveiled its ambitious EV plan last week for Wall Street. Of the 30 new EVs GM brings to market by 2025, two-thirds of them will be sold in the United States. GM also said it will invest $27 billion in electric vehicle and self-driving car development, which exceeds GM’s combined gas and diesel planned investments for the first time in its history. 
GM also moved up the launch dates for the all-electric Cadillac Lyriq SUV and the GMC Hummer pickup. It is hiring 3,000 people to help speed up its electric vehicle production.
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, along with Toyota Motor Corp., also backed the Trump administration's effort to bar California from setting its own fuel efficiency rules or zero-emission requirements. FCA did not respond to a request for a comment.
California, 22 other states and environmental groups had challenged the Trump administration’s claim that federal law forbids California from setting harsh emission standards and zero-emission mandates.
In September, California said all new passenger cars sold in the state must be all-electric by 2035, and no new internal combustion engine vehicles will be permitted to be sold there. 
Ford Motor Co., Honda Motor Co. and Volkswagen AG did not back the administration’s side. Volkswagen announced a voluntary deal with California in 2019 on emissions rules
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/car...401627002/

GM knows which way the wind is blowing. Kids really don't care about cars now and the ones that do think about how gas powered vehicles affect climate change. Electric vehicles are here to stay. Denying climate change at this point is the same as not wearing masks or not vaccinating your kids: Dark Ages thinking and ignorance. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
GM knows which way the wind is blowing. Kids really don't care about cars now and the ones that do think about how gas powered vehicles affect climate change. Electric vehicles are here to stay. Denying climate change at this point is the same as not wearing masks or not vaccinating your kids: Dark Ages thinking and ignorance. 

I dont think most of America realizes how really near we are to electrification in a really big way. 

Maybe they will when F150 & Silverado EV's hit and not just Tesla and Prius. 

I know the German company I work for has over 20 in the pipeline. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

I dont think most of America realizes how really near we are to electrification in a really big way. 

Maybe they will when F150 & Silverado EV's hit and not just Tesla and Prius. 

I know the German company I work for has over 20 in the pipeline. 
when those F150s become F250s and F350s,  and they can pull a stock trailer loaded with animals a couple hundred miles or more, and dont cost a shit ton more than their diesel or gas options.  Maybe electric will be coming soon to the more urban areas,  but I think we are likely still at least a decade or more away from it becoming a viable option in rural America.  If govt tries to force it,  people will be more apt to reject it, and if its to expensive or not realistic then people will just stop buying the newer vehicles and some auto maker will then cater to that niche.

Oh the torque/hp will be there Jimmy...The electrification infrastructure will most certainly hit rural last though. 

The business model dictates the mass vehicles first (i.e. 150) and not 250/350's. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Oh the torque/hp will be there Jimmy...The electrification infrastructure will most certainly hit rural last though. 

The business model dictates the mass vehicles first (i.e. 150) and not 250/350's. 
I know the power will be there,  its the distance and the drive train that has to be able to handle it though.... and the price,  new trucks have gotten ridiculous on their own without adding the additional expenses that seem to accompany electric vehicles.  Weight will also become a concern,  what weighs more an internal combustion engine and a fuel tank to take the truck 300 miles,  or an electric engine with batteries to carry it the same?

Good news, but a lot of time has been wasted ignoring science and playing silly political games. 

Tesla Cybertruck can tow 14,000 lbs and do 0-60 in under 4 secs.  

In case you need to escape a zombie attack with some livestock ...

Quote: @"SFVikeFan" said:
Tesla Cybertruck can tow 14,000 lbs and do 0-60 in under 4 secs.  

In case you need to escape a zombie attack with some livestock ...
for $70K,  and for how far can it pull that 14,000 pound load?  how much of that can be tongue weight?  I am very interested in the cyber truck,  but I need to see how much truck it really is vs electric sports car under a truck looking body.  For those of use that actually need a truck, there is much more to a truck than just the appearance and towing capacity.  I am sure that Musk wants to get it right,  but I am not sure yet that he is actually building trucks.  HELL the companies that have been building trucks for decades are starting to forget how to build a real truck.

edit: and we are still a year away from seeing if that projected information becomes a reality.  late 2021 is when they are expecting to start production on them.

edit 2:  I am also going to be curious to see how our winters up here affect the electric vehicles, most directly the batteries.  I replace my batteries on my tractors about every 2 years because some dont get used regularly and the heat of the summers and then the cold of the winters takes it toll on batteries that just sit for extended periods.  I wonder how long those big truck batteries will last and how much it will cost to replace them vs oil changed on internal combustion engines.

That is all great and stuff, but what source will produce the electricity to charge these vehicles?