Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just how badly do our special teams suck?
Badly enough that Marwan Maalouf better polish that resume.  Consider:
  • Football Outsiders ranks our special teams #28 overall
  • We are DEAD LAST in punt returns
  • We are DEAD LAST in net punting
  • We are the only team to have 2 or more punts blocked
  • Our best ranking is 18th in KO returns
  • 23rd in gross punting average
  • 23rd in FG %
  • 20th in punt return defense
And the fact of the matter is that our kicker and punter aren't that bad -- but the blocking and schemes have been awful.

I'd be a lot more concerned with Special Teams if our defense didnt rank 29th in yards allowed and 25th in points per game

yeah the special teams arent to special.

Quote: @"PSBLAKE" said:
yeah the special teams arent to special.
Maalouf probably ain't sleeping very soundly these days. If there was going to be some house-cleaning on Zimmer's staff, he's going to top that list. 

Another question this begs though - how poor is the quality of depth on this roster? 

Fans were quick to run Cordarrelle Patterson outta town for being a bust, which he kind of was, but he was a great kick returner. The ones we've had since have been bad and/or terrible.
Same for punt returners. Mike Hughes was decent if I remember correctly, but you can't have a guy made of glass taking those. The return positions don't seem to be too highly valued by Spielman and Zimmer.

I think the schemes and blocking have failed us.  All teams are dealing with roster turnover and lack of preseason, etc.  Take punt returns -- mostly we have singled the other teams gunners.  We get no pressure on the punter and the gunner's easily beat one-one-one blocking to force a high degree of fair catches.  Seems every other team doubles our gunners, who get stoned, leaving plenty of room for returns.  I can't tell if KJ Osborn can return kicks or not.  He doesn't look too explosive or shifty, but the blocking has been atrocious.

Just how badly do our special teams suck?  Monumentally...
mon·u·men·tal·ly
/ˈˌmänyəˈmen(t)əlē/
adverb
  1. 1. 
    to a very great or extreme degree.  Confused