Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
one tired Zimsu...
GREEN BAY, WIS. – Mike Zimmer looked mentally fried Sunday afternoon. He joked that he needed to buy some product to remove all his new gray hairs.
“It was very, very hectic on the sideline today,” he said.
Hectic is one way to put it. Bizarre works, too.
Zimmer's maligned defense  finished the game with only two healthy cornerbacks against Aaron Rodgers.

Two. Not even enough for a true nickel package.
The Vikings lost so many defensive backs before and during an out-of-nowhere 28-22 win over the Packers that Zimmer looked like a guy trying to patch five holes in the bottom of a boat.
“I’m worn out,” he said.
Dalvin Cook’s brilliance deserves top billing on the marquee, but the Vikings defense surrendered only 22 points to the NFL’s second-highest-scoring offense, holding the Packers 10 points below their season average.
Who saw that coming?
Yes, winds registering 23 miles per hour at kickoff with gusts reaching 40 mph had a definite impact on play-calling and Rodgers’ ability to air out deep passes. But the Packers looked like they might score 40 points without breaking a sweat after opening the game with back-to-back long touchdown drives.
The Vikings regrouped. Then they started losing cornerbacks.
The secondary already was without Mike Hughes and Holton Hill because of injuries. Rookie cornerback Cameron Dantzler suffered a neck injury and possible concussion on a scary collision with teammate Anthony Harris in the first half.
Dantzler was taken from the field on a stretcher. The team announced that Dantzler has full body movement and was expected to travel home with the team after being evaluated at a hospital.
Mark Fields, who was promoted from the practice squad this week, replaced Dantzler, but he limped off the field late in the third quarter.
That left only three healthy cornerbacks available — rookies Jeff Gladney and Harrison Hand and second-year man Kris Boyd — until Boyd went down with an injury with about three minutes left in the game.
“It was almost like a revolving door,” linebacker Eric Kendricks said. “We just had to communicate, see who’s where, act calm.”
And improvise. Zimmer inserted rookie Josh Metellus at safety and moved Harris to nickel back for the final drive. That’s three rookies in the secondary against a quarterback whom Zimmer called “the best in the business.”
“I never felt like the game was in our grasp,” Zimmer said. “Even with 57 seconds left and he’s got the ball in his hands and no timeouts and all the young guys I’ve got [on the field] and playing different spots. It was pretty rough.”
His rookies held up in coverage, and another fellow rookie, D.J. Wonnum, sacked Rodgers from behind on a last gasp attempt, causing a fumble that the Vikings recovered as time expired.
Put this one in the stunner category.
The Vikings defense has been one of the NFL’s worst this season. The combination of injuries and youth movement have gutted Zimmer’s pride and joy and created a matchup against Rodgers that looked, on paper, like another rout on the docket.
The defense held up this time. Not perfect, but there were timely stops. The wind helped both defenses, the Packers hurt themselves with penalties and the Vikings benefited from some fortunate breaks.
Rodgers overthrew a wide-open receiver on what would have been a long gain in the third quarter. In the fourth quarter, Harris was called for pass interference on fourth-and-9 incompletion, but the officials huddled and picked up the flag. \
“I was surprised they threw the flag, how about that?” Kendricks said.
The defense need not apologize after that performance. Zimmer’s staff tweaked a few things schematically at halftime that helped limit Green Bay’s running game. And his players showed poise when the secondary started losing bodies.
“I rode them pretty hard in practice this week,” Zimmer said. “We have so many young guys that we’re trying to get ready for prime time is the best way to say it.”
They didn’t flinch this time.
https://www.startribune.com/mike-zimmer-...572943712/

Zimmer and the coaching staff deserve credit for getting all those young corners ready to play & weathering through all of the injuries. Keeping the game close would have been impressive, but beating Rodgers in Lambeau with such a banged up and inexperienced secondary was really impressive. They had a really good game plan with Kendricks and Harris stepping up big today to take pressure off of the secondary. I also thought that the DL had a really good day. Wonnum is looking like a steal and I'm impressed that they are finally getting production out of Holmes.

Absolutely...Zimm and staff deserve the accolades.

Bravo from me. 

Quote: @"Tyr" said:
Zimmer and the coaching staff deserve credit for getting all those young corners ready to play & weathering through all of the injuries. Keeping the game close would have been impressive, but beating Rodgers in Lambeau with such a banged up and inexperienced secondary was really impressive. They had a really good game plan with Kendricks and Harris stepping up big today to take pressure off of the secondary. I also thought that the DL had a really good day. Wonnum is looking like a steal and I'm impressed that they are finally getting production out of Holmes.
This is what I talk about when some rip Z a little too harshly: the guy can coach up a D. The secondary is ridiculously decimated and they went into Lambeau and won.

I dont know if it was the looks that Zims D was giving confusing Rogers,  or the winds,  or maybe the Danica curse,   but Rogers was off yesterday,   even his demeanor was off.  It looked at many times like he wasn't even trying. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
I dont know if it was the looks that Zims D was giving confusing Rogers,  or the winds,  or maybe the Danica curse,   but Rogers was off yesterday,   even his demeanor was off.  It looked at many times like he wasn't even trying. 
I think it's a little bit of everything. I definitely think the wind impacted their game plan with some of the routes they usually won

Something tells me they all took the Vikings a little too lightly...

They'll never admit it though. 

ALWAYS toss the records out the window with an inter-divisional game. I made a real nice chunk of vegas $$ yesterday taking the Vikings AND points. Candy from a baby damn near. 

Will say, even though I spent my time doing other better things yesterday, I had a notion the Vikings could beat the Pukers.  When all seems to be going against you, rallying the troops to a cause is much easier.
Congrats Zim.  You done well.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
Rodgers said last week that he wanted Zimmer to remain in Minnesota. He did his part.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
Rodgers said last week that he wanted Zimmer to remain in Minnesota. He did his part.
apparently he doesnt want us to be in position to draft a QB either.