Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I Bitch
A poster that I respect and like to read recently
said that I criticize the Vikings “again (and again) in a vacuum without
looking at other teams' draft results”. I know that many think I have
nothing but negative to say, and that remark made me think about
why I criticize. But I’m sure many people here just want to say, “Quit
your bitching” and not even call it criticism, so…I’ll own that.

I don’t hate this franchise. I don’t live in New Jersey and have some obscure grudge against the Wilfs. I have
said here that loyalty isn’t really deserved by a professional NFL team
and agree with Jerry Seinfeld’s observation
that, “You’re just cheering for the laundry.” Yep, it’s true. But the
Vikings have been MY laundry for over 50 years, I like that laundry, I
sure as hell don’t plan on switching to Packer or Chief laundry. BUT – I
would really like to see that Vikings laundry
holding up a Lombardi trophy, and…it ain’t happening any time soon.

My father made me a Vikings fan, like many of your
fathers probably did. He watched or listened to 99% of their games from
founding day of Tarkenton beating the Bears until Dad died 7 years ago at
88. He saw 62 years of them, AND every NFL playoff game and Super Bowl, but no Vikings championship. He
saw them get to 4 championships – ages ago. In 1977, a few days after
the big game, he cheered up and said, “We’ve been to 4 of the 11 Super
Bowls, we’ll get to a lot more and win some.”

Oops. For those of you believing in jinxes, I’ll apologize on his behalf for that remark.

I want a great season and a championship. I think
you all do, too. And why I bitch, mostly, is that I think too many of
you let this franchise placate you with consolation prizes and
rationalizations.

One consolation we heard throughout Adrian Peterson’s career was, “We have the best running back in the NFL!
OK, great, and no argument. So: why didn’t we win a championship?
Doesn’t having a transcendent talent make everything else
about winning easier? Other GMs and coaches won championships with
backs that couldn’t lace Peterson’s shoes. So why don’t we hold our
ownership, management, and coaches to that standard? Instead we acted like
our team was OK because they managed to find ONE
piece of a team. Peterson’s 2K season was celebrated like a Super Bowl
by a lot of fans. Sure, enjoy it, but keep demanding a championship. The
current ownership and GM were here while this franchise
wasted the enormous advantage Peterson gave them…do you think the same people will win with Dalvin Cook?

Some of the consolations are just rationalizations or myths. “The Vikings are one of the best drafting teams in the league!” OK, I’ll take your word for that, but – shouldn’t that mean they have better players and win more games
than most of the league and a championship or two? “Rick Spielman is one of the best GMs in the NFL!”
Great – and that’s based on what? Because his team has won the most
Super Bowls? Playoff games? 8 different GMs have won Super Bowls since
Spielman
became sole Vikings GM a decade ago; did most of them do that with
worse playoff records than his (2-4)??

People scrounge desperately for rationalizations. “Rob Brzezinski is a genius salary cap manager!” That’s wonderful – so that means we should have cap room to get better players than anyone else and win championships, right??
“Eric Sugarman is the best team doctor in the NFL!” Fine, so our team must be the picture of health and consistently beat all those broken-down teams with inferior doctors.
“US Bank Stadium is the best in the league and so is our practice facility!”
Oh, kinda don’t care, unless it means free agent players are so eager
to be here that they take less money and we sign more of them and – yes,
I’m a broken record – it makes
the Vikings win championships.

All those accolades would be just fine – if we also
won championships. Don’t let all the BS distract you from that goal. Do
you really think fans of the Seahawks, Broncos, Packers, Eagles, Colts,
Patriots, or Steelers are patting themselves
on the back for having a great team doctor?? Try gloating about that
next time some Packer-Backer talks about their titles.

Maybe it doesn’t matter, and we should accept that
the Vikings are essentially the same as the Lions and just take a bit of
comfort in these consolation prizes. I don’t like that and I’ll keep
asking for results ON THE FIELD. So I bitch
because I want all of you to do the same. We might have absolutely zero
influence on how the Wilfs and Spielman and Zimmer manage this team –
but we sure as hell don’t need to make up their excuses for them.
Thanks to anyone who made it through this long scree..

There is always room to find fault and good...After a loss like last week, its easier to find the fault, I'm guilty as hell for doing it..

I've been following the team for over 4 decades now. Yah, yah - stay off my lawn. 

I remember watching the last SB where the Raiduh's crushed the over the hill vikings of 1976/77.

Over the hill and made it to a SB? Yah, they were getting old by then - still damn good. But Shell, Upshaw, Cliff Branch, Dave Casper, The snake, The stork had their way with our Vikings. 

I was 17 back then. A 1/2 a lifetime ago now.  No better than NFCCG soul crushing defeats since then. 

I guess each of us as fans have to decide if we can find some joy in the journey, the smaller victories, the human stories of these players, the strategies that work or don't, the comaraderie of friends and tailgating when there isn't a pandemic etc. 

If that is enough for fun???  Great have a blast, enjoy the ride. If not? Probably time to not have the Vikings saga in a life anymore. 

Didn't quite make it all the way through, but I get your general notion.  It boils down to a simpler question, why are we fans?  (or why WERE we fans for some). 

We chose to be fans for whatever reason, but as a fan we connect our emotions to the well being of the team.  It doesn't matter one iota in my life whether a pro team wins or loses, but still we bind our emotions to that simple fact. 

How we react kind of boils down to how we approach life.  It used to ruin my day/week when they would lose.  And bitching certainly seems appropriate then.  We are entitled to bitch because invest a portion of ourselves.  I think we all bitch.  But back to the life approach, we can encounter an inconvenience, a disturbance or injury and look at it in different ways.  We can go negative and swear and break things or we can consider our blessings and how fortunate it wasn't worse.  Being stuck in traffic because of a bad accident is annoying, but certainly not as bad as being in the accident.  And we can often take part in both, bitching at the moment, but then after reflection we count our blessings.
I am thankful for my time as a Viking fan.  Watching Adrian was a joy, as was Moss, Randle, Thielen and many others.  The Minneapolis Miracle is something I will never forget.  Being on that side of history is rare for a Viking fan, so it is treasured.
yes we failed to end the season as champ, but I have learned to enjoy the journey a bit more than I used to.  Savor the moment, be thankful for that moment, that moment is why we are fans and why we put up with the heartbreak.

I just want it on record that I've lived in Jersey my entire life and have no obscure grudge against the Wilfs, unlike some other former poster  :p .

But to your point, I think everyone rationalizes or tries to substantiate what happens on the field in their own eyes. Some see things as the glass is half full, some the other way. It doesn't make one right and the other wrong. Sure, some folks are a bit more extreme in how they look at the team (as long as you don't scour social media), but for the most part I've found a majority of fans as rational.

I'm pretty sure everyone here wants to see the Vikings win a title in our lifetime. In the meantime, I'll enjoy every win and have a near heart attack after every loss.

I think this really just comes down to perspective.  Taking myself as an example here, football is a happy outlet for me.  I watch it to bring me enjoyment.  While I can acknowledge many of the very relevant points you make, they aren't what I focus on.  Does it suck when we lose?  Yeah, of course, but I look through that.  I get my 3 and 1/2 hours a week, where I tune everything out and I just get to watch this frustrating team.  Will I defend everything the FO does?  No, but at the same time, I won't ignore positives either. 

That being said, it isn't anybody's right to question how you enjoy it.  If you want to be critical, go for it.  I will also say though, you have to accept that other people don't share your mindset.  It doesn't make them right or you wrong, its just how it is.  Its the age old "Is the glass half full, or half empty?"
I'm not referring to you directly here, but I will say the negative voices here usually carry a heavier weight.  What happened when we started 0-3?  "We won't win a game this year!", "This team is garbage!" etc... Flip the script.  How would have people felt if we were 3-0 and people started with the "We can't lose!" "Superbowl"?  Its just like head count in the chat.  Winning at halftime?  ghost town.  Losing at half time? Different story.

Anyways, well thought out post with a lot of very valid points. Hopefully we will all see the Vikes host the trophy once before we go. 

First of all I would like to welcome you to the bitch club. I see you are on 50 years, wow, what a true fan. Can you imagine the Packers not going to the SB in 44 years? Their fan base would be cut to pieces. This is my 46th year (1975) but many years ago I changed my goal. That is correct, I am no longer dreaming of a Superbowl Trophy. My goal; Just get there once before I die. Take a look at this list:

Detroit Lions (1930)

Minnesota Vikings  76

Washington Redskins  91

Dallas Cowboys  95

Tampa Bay
Buccaneers  02

Chicago Bears  06

Arizona Cardinals  08

New
Orleans Saints  09

Green
Bay Packers  10

New
York Giants  11

Seattle Seahawks  14

Carolina Panthers  15

Atlanta Falcons  16

Philadelphia Eagles  17

L.A. Rams  18

San
Francisco 49ers  19
 Not too long ago we were close to the middle. Now we are only one team from the top. And if you add the AFC we only drop down 2 more spots below the Browns & Jets but the Jets have a trophy.

Oh, one more thing; I didn't mind Zim going for it on 4th down to try and win the game but right after Madison didn't make it Zim still thought we had a good chance to win. Most of us didn't.

I don't mind your bitching, I'm a big bitch myself lol.   And it's mostly about ownership.  From the start these guys have peddled manure at the fanbase while making mistake after mistake on the football side.  But the nice buildings and the rest of the faux greatness you reference seems to be what fans cling to.   Maybe it's because winning a title seems so hopeless here, in spite of having a team that from the late 60's to late 90's made the playoffs as often as anyone.   

Nowadays fans and maybe ownership as well are hanging on to some false hope in year 7 of Zimmer as his squad stumbles around.   Well, he'll right the ship and probably win 10 games next year and then lose a playoff game on the road.   It's just rinse repeat with Spielman/Zimmer.  Bad oline, draft a lot of db's, qb is an issue, the new wrinkle is cap issues which didn't used to be a problem but all the win-now mistakes are adding up.   Good year, bad year, good year bad year, over and over with Mike.   

What is there to say or do but bitch?  It doesn't change yet the organization keeps trying pump sunshine up every fan's ass about how close they are.  One miracle-assisted trip to the NFCC in 7 years where you got waxed like a linoleum floor is not "close to a title" Zygmunt.   Maybe you'll awake from your 100-year-old cognac stupor over there on Park Avenue and figure it out.   I'm not holding my breath.

The Vikes are my lovable losers.  I don't think they'll ever win a SB, but I don't really give a sh!t.  Do I want them to?  Of course, but I've been a Vikings fan since '74, so if winning championships was so important to keep me as a fan, I would've jumped ship long ago.
To this day I always relish the big wins, but have learned to hang my head and move on after all the losses.  Every team experiences the disappointments, it just seems like we've had so many.
Win or lose, I'll always love the Vikes.  I'm a homer, and they're my hometown team - SKOL!

There will be another song for me
For I will sing it
There will be another dream for me
Someone will bring it
I will drink the wine while it is warm
And never let you catch me looking at the sun
And after all the loves of my life
After all the loves of my life
You'll still be the one

Quote: @FLVike said:
There will be another song for me
For I will sing it