Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Close but not close enough

(yawn)

Always the case in Vikingland. The shitty end of the stick comes either sooner or later, but bet the mortgage that it indeed will come. 

While fans often say the bad teams are so close, they are just getting bad breaks, etc., it seems to me that they are just bad teams.   They can't hold a late lead in Seattle, can't make 1 yard, can't stop the opps from going the length of the field in no time flat, etc.  They can't drive a short distance for a winning f.g. against a Titans D that already gave up 30 points.   That drive looked like the proverbial Chinese fire drill as Hank Stram once put it.   They were a bobbled ball away from o.t. and a possible 0-5 record at Houston.   

After Seattle they got praised for their "effort" etc. but reality is when push comes to shove and it's on the line, they stumble and fail.  That has become the Mike Zimmer m.o. in most of the games that really matter.  It's like a systemic issue and until you amputate the head coach it's going to remain like a gangrenous limb imho.    Sorry for the graphic metaphor lol.

Quote: @comet52 said:
While fans often say the bad teams are so close, they are just getting bad breaks, etc., it seems to me that they are just bad teams.   They can't hold a late lead in Seattle, can't make 1 yard, can't stop the opps from going the length of the field in no time flat, etc.  They can't drive a short distance for a winning f.g. against a Titans D that already gave up 30 points.   That drive looked like the proverbial Chinese fire drill as Hank Stram once put it.   They were a bobbled ball away from o.t. and a possible 0-5 record at Houston.   

After Seattle they got praised for their "effort" etc. but reality is when push comes to shove and it's on the line, they stumble and fail.  That has become the Mike Zimmer m.o. in most of the games that really matter.  It's like a systemic issue and until you amputate the head coach it's going to remain like a gangrenous limb imho.    Sorry for the graphic metaphor lol.
Name one Viking coach in their entire history that has won more SBs than Zimmer, just one.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@comet52 said:

Name one Viking coach in their entire history that has won more SBs than Zimmer, just one.
Why?  He's not going to win one, ever.   The fact that the team has never found the guy to win one, well that doesn't excuse Mike's issues or mean we should let him coach for 20 years while we grow old with no shot at a SB title.  Bud at least got to the SB which is more than we can say for Mike.

Quote: @comet52 said:
Why?  He's not going to win one, ever.   The fact that the team has never found the guy to win one, well that doesn't excuse Mike's issues or mean we should let him coach for 20 years while we grow old with no shot at a SB title.  Bud at least got to the SB which is more than we can say for Mike.
Do you know that for sure?  I wonder how many said that very same thing about guys like Dick Vermeil or Andy Reid.  You might be right too, but I think the roster has as much to do with this season as coaching. 

@comet52 said:
Do you know that for sure?  I wonder how many said that very same thing about guys like Dick Vermeil or Andy Reid.  You might be right too, but I think the roster has as much to do with this season as coaching. 
So does that mean we should fire Spielman also?

@comet52 said:
7 years of Mike going nowhere is more than enough for me, but I get that some fans want to wait 20 years to really know for absolutely sure that he won't get it done.   Dick Vermeil, Andy Reid, hell why not talk about George Halas.   None of these guys or past Vikings coaches have anything to do with Zimmer.  I judge him on his record, not imaginary comparisons to other guys.  His record against winning teams is 16-27-1 for a .367 win rate.  You don't win a SB by only beating weak teams, losing to your division rivals all the time (1-7-1 vs Bears/Packers last 9 games), making the playoffs every other year as a wild card, then going on the road where some good team mops the floor with you.

@comet52 said:

True. Now name one Viking coach who has won more SBs than Les Steckel or Leslie Frazier.