Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Samia...
Right guard Dru Samia had a horrific night, getting flagged four times (one declined) while Seahawks defensive tackle Jarran Reed did just about whatever he wanted in moments. Samia drew three holding penalties, continuing to look out of sorts while filling in for injured Pat Elflein.
Zimmer said he felt good overall about the offensive line’s play against Seattle, but he told the NBC broadcast at halftime they needed to “change protections” to deal with Reed.

Last night was a close as I have heard a set of announcers call out a bad player...I hate CC, but he's right they need Elflein back. GULP.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Right guard Dru Samia had a horrific night, getting flagged four times (one declined) while Seahawks defensive tackle Jarran Reed did just about whatever he wanted in moments. Samia drew three holding penalties, continuing to look out of sorts while filling in for injured Pat Elflein.
Zimmer said he felt good overall about the offensive line’s play against Seattle, but he told the NBC broadcast at halftime they needed to “change protections” to deal with Reed.
The crazy thing is that Zimmer's right. The OL played well last night, especially in the running game. What would happen if you replaced Samia, the one obvious leak in the boat, with any moderately competent, league average player? Maybe good things. It's strange to me that this seems off the table. Pat Elflein can't get healthy fast enough. 

I didnt think it could be any worse with Elflein, but I was wrong. Samia is the worst Vikings OL I have ever seen, but hopefully he finds a way to improve. That being said, we have to find someone to replace him ASAP

How can a scouting dept be competent in so many other areas except OG?

We haven't exactly had chopped liver @ OL coaches around here most years either. 

I know it's been said a million times, an NFL team can trip over themselves and find a competent NFL OG, but not these Vikings. 

It was brutal from Collinsworth but he was right. Yeah I am not so excited about Elflein. They need actual guards. Bradbury is doing well. O'Neill and Reiff are too. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

We haven't exactly had chopped liver @ OL coaches around here most years either. 

I know it's been said a million times, an NFL team can trip over themselves and find a competent NFL OG, but not these Vikings. 

I have been trying to think of a player's name. We actually did "trip over" a RG a few years back, someone who had come in on waivers from a different team and played really well- but then he sat out for a year with a pretty serious health issue, and we wondered for a year, and then he retired. Sad for him personally and absolute proof that if we find an OL he will disappear.
Who remembers his name??

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@purplefaithful said:

I have been trying to think of a player's name. We actually did "trip over" a RG a few years back, someone who had come in on waivers from a different team and played really well- but then he sat out for a year with a pretty serious health issue, and we wondered for a year, and then he retired. Sad for him personally and absolute proof that if we find an OL he will disappear.
Who remembers his name??
Mike Harris

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@purplefaithful said:

Who remembers his name??
Mike Harris?

Mike Harris, yes! Thanks guys. Arguable our last good RG...