Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My surprise disappointment: DL Datone Jones
I thought this guy would flourish in Minnesota.....not the case. This dude has been invisible and disappointing. After a brief stint on the nose, the Vikings quickly figured out Jaleel Johnson is a 3-technique and he's flourished. Tom Johnson is very solid and the defensive line in general is stacked. No time for a weak link when you've got the talent in that unit like the Viking's have. 

Chris Tomasson‏ @christomasson  4m4 minutes ago
More
Mike Zimmer said Datone Jones has been up and down
0 replies0 retweets0 likes

I feel the same way. If Jaleel can truly do well at 3T, all is well.

Not certain Tom Johnson is still solid. I could still see the team keeping Jones instead of Tom J: more upside and more dead cap $.

johnson is an exciting prospect

I don't think either Jones or T Johnson is going to make the cut.  I think Johnson is now in noticeable decline which started last season and Jones was just an experiment.  It did not work out and that's too bad, but I don't recall many DEs being moved to DT success stories.  He probably needs another 25 pounds and I doubt he could handle that kind of weight.  Oh well.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
I feel the same way. If Jaleel can truly do well at 3T, all is well.

Not certain Tom Johnson is still solid. I could still see the team keeping Jones instead of Tom J: more upside and more dead cap $.
I like Tom, but he is what he is, a nickle DT.  BRob will fill many of those snaps so, what is left?

As to Jones, I wonder if it bad habits?  Guy was a high pick wasn't he?

Major disappointment to date...young, talented guy, playing on a one year deal with one of the better DL coaches in the game...not good...

Quote:
Chris Tomasson‏ @christomasson  4m4 minutes ago
More
Mike Zimmer said Datone Jones has been up and down
0 replies0 retweets0 likes
I wonder if this is just Zim brushing off Tomasson?  Again. 

Zimmer said he's struggling at the DT position. The Packers weren't sure where to play him. He's got 2 weeks to show something, per Zimmer. 

He was worth the gamble imo...The upside promise was there. 

Jones might be best as a 4-3 base DE: he's 6-4, 285. But we don't need that. It's still possible the Vikings keep him, because some OTAs and a month of TC might not tell the tale. If he's working hard and they think the potential is still there, I bet he beats Tom Johnson.