Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome back Riley Reiff!
....is what I would say if he gets cut. But that hasn't happened yet so lets stay patient and see how it goes. 

edit: surprise! he agreed to the restructure.

Time to turn the young dogs loose and see what they got.  Opinions around here are the same...he's not worth 11 million.  Spend the money elsewhere...

Sounds like a deal is getting ironed out with Reiff. He stays.

Restructure so the Vikes can trade him before the deadline? I'm good with that Smile 

I'm in agreement that Reiff is not worth $11M, and probably not even $8M. I would like to see what O'Neill can do at LT and Udoh at RT, but.....let's remember that Spielman is about 1-for-40 in identifying successful offensive linemen. That might sound harsh but my judgment is that an OL has to have more than 1 good year, and so far that is only Brian O'Neill - not Elflein, or Kalil, or Fusco, or any of the duds who didn't have any good seasons (which appears likely to include Samia as well). So I am hopeful but not confident.

Just saw on NFLN "finalizing restructured contract".  What they're saying is that yesterday Reiff was telling teammates goodbye, then his agent got on the phone calling teams and found out nobody else wanted to pay him $11mil either.  So Reiff swallowed his ego (and a TBD chunk of his paycheck) and stayed. 

Think on it... if not for COVID trashing everyone's likely 2020 revenue and 2021 salary cap, Reiff probably finds a taker and is gone. So COVID lost us Pierce but let us keep Reiff.  Hmmm... think I'd rather have Pierce.  On second thought, screw you COVID, again :p

We're a better team with him, so why am I not excited about keeping him? I think I'm ready to start the future.

What we've learned from this is that the Vikings are not at all afraid to put O'Neill on the left and this is likely going to happen next season. OR....do the Vikings put O'Neill there now, with Hill and Udoh competing on the right, and a lower-paid Reiff at left guard? 

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
https://twitter.com/NickOlsonNFL/status/...1008523264

I don't buy this. Why wouldn't O'Neill ask for LT money anyway? He's a superb athlete for the position, he played LT in college, has great pass blocking grades - another team would sign him in free agency as their projected LT without hesitation. He won't sign if the Vikings lowball him. Besides, won't they be plugging him in at LT next fall anyway, or is Reiff here long-term? So we will offer him an extension suitable for a RT just as we ask him to move to LT? Nonsense.

Or look at it this way: our 31-year-old below-average declining OT is modestly happy to stay, but it might make our 24-year-old potential star OT unhappy.