Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A minute of your time, please....
Hey Viking fans. Yep, Vikings fans....that's what we all are and why we are here. The political dialogue here has really turned toxic. We are in strange times indeed with COVID and an election year with a very polarizing POTUS. Tempers are quick and run hot. We're all stressed out. Not to mention any other normal, everyday problems we have to deal with as human beings. I'm going to ask everyone to do something. You can certainly tell me to pound sand, ignore this post, etc. Its your right, of course, and I'm not TELLING you to do anything. I'm asking. Lets all stop posting about politics. Its a road to nowhere here. It puts people at odds in an angry way that joined this board over their love of the Vikings. 

I never wanted political talk allowed on this board as many of you know, and you can see why. Its worthless and only causes harm and stress in a time we don't need to add any of that to our plates. It looks like the NFL is going to happen and that's a good thing. We have other things to talk about now. If you need to vent about politics, there are only about a million other places to go for that. I say this as a poster that has stirred the shit as much as almost anyone, not as a holier than thou, high horse condescender. 

Thanks for the time, have a great day! 

Nice sentiment, but damage is way done...

There was a lot of discussion some time ago about whether to have an off-topics board or just keep it a free for all on one. This was especially for politics and incendiary topics like that.

Lots of Viking sites out there. Very few would allow politics. 

None of them really have very much traffic. Typically 5-10 "regular posters". That could very well change if there is a football season - I'm still not convinced there will be one myself.

I dont see the value in a sensitive topics board anymore, I used to. On-line forums popularity isn't what it used to be either, regardless of topic, not with social media. 

Hell, the folks who started this place rarely if ever post here.

Sometimes I'll see a post where I'd love to respond, but think better of it. Now I just try my best to ignore all political posts because it takes away from why I'm here...to talk Vikings football. There's enough crap out in the world to make one lose their mind, so why add to it by spewing vitriol on a forum?

Anyway...Zim for Prez! (watch this blurb get hate lol)

Everything is political. It's sad that it's so divisive, but everything is political right now because of the pandemic. We see everything now through the lens of the pandemic: the election, schools, sports, family, relationships, jobs, vacations, etc. And because the pandemic is extremely political, all of the other things are as well. The funny thing is that the Coronavirus thread is the one topic not on the political board. 

If it weren't for the politics and the other off topic posts, this board probably would've died this offseason. The problem isn't politics, it's that there are too many last word freaks who can't walk away from a thread. 

I'm not seeing any political posts, so I'm not sure what you're referencing.  I use the "Catagories" menu item filter then click the "Longship" discussion, and I only see those posts.  Every now and then some politics is brought to the Longship, but it usually is moved sooner than later.
This actually works very well for me, and I avoid all the "discussions" from all the political posts.  You all should try this, if you don't already and want to stick to Longship posts.

I get to interact with people that I wouldn't be able to otherwise.  I stir the pot to see the reactions, gain some insight into a point of view.  And where else could I find out about the anti-christ and how he's working, no one else in my sphere can provide me with information like that.  I have dropped all social media and this is the only place I interact with folk not like me, great insight, helps make sense of another side of issues I would be clueless to why people take the positions they do.  I have yet to be convinced of anything and I doubt I have changed anyone's mind, but I can probe the divisions with out having to worry about CC permits and stand your ground laws.

If I hadn't already made up my mind who to vote for Zim would be next followed by a comet.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Hey Viking fans. Yep, Vikings fans....that's what we all are and why we are here. The political dialogue here has really turned toxic. We are in strange times indeed with COVID and an election year with a very polarizing POTUS. Tempers are quick and run hot. We're all stressed out. Not to mention any other normal, everyday problems we have to deal with as human beings. I'm going to ask everyone to do something. You can certainly tell me to pound sand, ignore this post, etc. Its your right, of course, and I'm not TELLING you to do anything. I'm asking. Lets all stop posting about politics. Its a road to nowhere here. It puts people at odds in an angry way that joined this board over their love of the Vikings. 

I never wanted political talk allowed on this board as many of you know, and you can see why. Its worthless and only causes harm and stress in a time we don't need to add any of that to our plates. It looks like the NFL is going to happen and that's a good thing. We have other things to talk about now. If you need to vent about politics, there are only about a million other places to go for that. I say this as a poster that has stirred the shit as much as almost anyone, not as a holier than thou, high horse condescender. 

Might want to try not expressing your political opinion when you’re imploring us to not talk politics.  I personally see libs telling us illegals should receive free medical and college as “polarizing”.

Quote: @Waterboy said:
@StickyBun said:

Might want to try not expressing your political opinion when you’re imploring us to not talk politics.  I personally see libs telling us illegals should receive free medical and college as “polarizing”.

Sorry you have been so victimized, the internet is a tough place.  Thoughts and prayers to you in your struggles with polarization.

yeah this is why I rarely visit this board anymore.  Well said Sticky.

Quote: @PSBLAKE said:
yeah this is why I rarely visit this board anymore.  Well said Sticky.
You do know that you don't have to see the political posts though right?  You can change your settings pretty easy to just see the Longship forum.