Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
19 years ago today

Nineteen years, wow. RIP Korey.

Fifty-four years, and waiting.  Not sure Ill be around to see the dream realized gang.

Exceptionally sad day. Who doesn't remember those heart-wrenching news conferences by Moss, The Sheriff, Carter...

damn time flies. 

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
damn time flies. 
Faster the older we get...

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Exceptionally sad day. Who doesn't remember those heart-wrenching news conferences by Moss, The Sheriff, Carter...
Yep. Definitely the saddest day I've had as a fan. And that includes all the Super Bowl and playoff losses. When Teddy went down, it was oddly similar. "We need to pray for Teddy," I kept hearing. What?! Why? Non-contact knee injury? But It reminded me so much of Korey. The first pieces of news I heard that day were about "praying for Korey." What??? Heat exhaustion? Why are you making it sound like something serious??

When I heard he passed away, I was so incredibly shocked and devastated. I cried like a baby. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
Yep. Definitely the saddest day I've had as a fan. And that includes all the Super Bowl and playoff losses. When Teddy went down, it was oddly similar. "We need to pray for Teddy," I kept hearing. What?! Why? Non-contact knee injury? But It reminded me so much of Korey. The first pieces of news I heard that day were about "praying for Korey." What??? Heat exhaustion? Why are you making it sound like something serious??

When I heard he passed away, I was so incredibly shocked and devastated. I cried like a baby. 
Big K had really grown into his own too...What an OL in those days. I remember The Preacher in GB having his way with Stringer his first few years in the league. That script flipped by 98.

Those news conferences after his passing can be found on youtube. But I wont watch em and didnt feel like it was the best for our fans to post em up here either. 

Big K's kid has got to be in his twenty's by now. I wonder if he's playing ball?

Answered my own question, found this Seifert article from 2015

[Image: nfl_e_stringer_b1_1296x729.jpg]

Inside Slant: Kodie Stringer finds his own way
It took Kodie Stringer more than 10 years to say the words.
I'm not a football player.
The son of the NFL's most tragic figure is a rising senior at Atlanta's Grady High School. He is 6-foot-3, weighs 340 pounds and so closely resembles his late father that family friends burst into tears when they see him. A world of opportunity and a storybook narrative lies gilded before him, but Korey Stringer's only child is respectfully divesting himself from the world his father left behind.
"I've been playing football since I was 6 years old," Kodie, 17, said over the phone recently. "And throughout those years, people always told me football was in my blood. To be honest, I find that whole idea to be false. You have your parents' traits, but it's up to you what you do with it. I'm not taking anything away from people who play football and love it. I just don't. It's not everything to me. You can't make a life out of football if you don't love it."
This is a story about football, loss and true love, the dogma a young man and his mother have wrestled since Aug. 1, 2001. On that day, Korey Stringer died from complications of heat stroke following a Minnesota Vikings training camp practice. Beyond tragic, his death was senseless; fatal heat stroke is 100 percent preventable. In their grief, his widow and son soon packed up and moved to Atlanta to cope, heal and find their place in the world.
https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/174991/inside-slant-son-of-former-nfl-lineman-korey-stringer-who-died-of-heat-stroke-finds-his-own-way

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

Big K's kid has got to be in his twenty's by now. I wonder if he's playing ball?

Yeah, wow, he was just a toddler then! Man, time is flying. I remember someone saying that once you graduate high school, time starts to fly. Get married, buy a house, kicks it into 3rd gear. Have kids, full on TURBO. I'm ready for it to slow down a bit. 

Never been a day the news from the sports world jolted me more.  R.I.P., still missed.