Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tidbits from JJ Watt

The replies on twitter are always priceless, ok sometimes priceless...

NFL players seem to be in the same spot as teachers about now. 

I'm just getting the impression the NFL is not going to happen. Sucks.

Quote: @StickyBun said:

Maybe not...But if I HAD TO place a bet, it would be on they'll give it a go somehow, too much $ on the line. I can't imagine fans in the stands. The metrics are still bad and going the wrong direction. 

Seems like the NFL is struggling with how to do this (if at all) like the rest of the planet.  NBA, the neighborhood hardware store, any restaurant, gymnasium, Church, Mosque, Disneyland, AMC Theaters..

World ain't wired for it and neither are people.

I suppose this fall there will be no new releases of some of the little tv we watch? And there has to be a dearth of new movies coming out for a while too. This is one of the burdens of this generation I guess.

It really makes me marvel at the resiliency and courage of generations like the hero generation of WW2...Fighting the Alt Right/Facism, death and dying in war overseas - FOR 4 YEARS!!!

Big D1 schools may be able to absorb this kind of cost, but a little regional school like St Johns? Probably not and at what cost to paying staff etc? Its very tough situation:
Per the NCAA’s guidelines, which aren’t requirements, student-athletes in high-contact risk sports such as football, soccer and volleyball will need COVID-19 testing within 72 hours of every game. The cost of that, as St. John’s football coach Gary Fasching put it, is “astronomical.”
“It’s incredible costs that I don’t know that we could absorb at this time,” Fasching said.
Across the NCAA, several conferences, including the Division I Ivy League and Patriot League, have already canceled fall sports. In Minnesota, D-III Carleton College has canceled fall sports, but the rest of the MIAC has yet to do more than cancel nonconference games for the fall.
The cost of testing could become a tipping point. Brooks estimated for just his D-III fall sports high-risk teams — men’s and women’s soccer, football and volleyball — testing would cost more than $300,000.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@StickyBun said:

It really makes me marvel at the resiliency and courage of generations like the hero generation of WW2...Fighting the Alt Right/Facism, death and dying in war overseas - FOR 4 YEARS!!!

The thing that many people either don't know or forget is that the U.S. public was very against getting involved in WW2. Our armed services were undermanned and lacked experience, and it seemed a distant issue that we didn't have to worry about. Roosevelt was continually bombarded with pleading private requests from Churchill to help the Allies and get involved in the war. What galvanized the country was the attack on Pearl Harbor, everything changed then. It was a foe that you could see and threatened American life in a concrete way. COVID is completely different and we live in a VERY different society with social media and all that entails. 

The isolationists were very prevalent and powerful after WW1. Tied Roosevelts hands for years. He had to pull teeth just to lend-lease Britain some boats and planes. That was Europes war and we werent going to lose American men and women again over there.

I was just discussing this with my wife last night...Covid seems to be what other people are dealing with and it's kind of invisible - even the funerals are. 

Now what if peoples faces fell off from it? Or limbs? Or you ended-up in an iron lung or wheelchair for life?

Something more tangible and petrifying than a quiet, lonely death in a hospital icu followed by a small, quiet and socially distanced funeral?

The populations perspective may be different? Polio scared the F out of people. 

Individualism v. Collectivism. The country is very divided. There are some states that are doing well and there are reasons for that. The NFL is waiting to see what happens like the rest of us. The United States is still behind in so many areas regarding COVID 19.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Yep, that is what I've been thinking for awhile. Sucks but I get it. Some states probably won't allow it at this point.

Quote: @1VikesFan said:
@StickyBun said:
Yep, that is what I've been thinking for awhile. Sucks but I get it. Some states probably won't allow it at this point.
Well, earlier this week Philadelphia canceled all large public events through February and said that no fans should be at Eagles games. After a brief panic by the fans, they walked it back and said MAYBE fans will still be allowed at Eagles games but a lot will need to improve. Personally, I still have no expectations of anything.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/philly-covid-19-events-canceled-mummers-2021-thanksgiving-parade-coronavirus/
All large public events in Philadelphia will be canceled over the next seven months as the city attempts to avoid a surge in coronavirus infections, a city spokesperson confirmed. 
The moratorium, announced during the city's COVID-19 briefing on Tuesday, affects everything from the Thanksgiving Day Parade to the 2021 Mummers Parade.
Philadelphia lately has seen modest increases in COVID-19 cases, but has not experienced the rampant outbreaks reported in cities such as Miami, Houston and Los Angeles.

Still, city officials have preemptively canceled all large events on public property through Feb. 28, 2021.