Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Elijah McClain
McClain’s death here in Denver is starting to get a little more attention. But I think once the facts get out, this one will be far more upsetting to the world than even the George Floyd murder. 

George Floyd didn’t deserve to die, but he was not without his flaws. Elijah McClain’s story is so nuts, it defies belief. In fact, I didn’t believe it when I first heard about it. I thought it sounded made up, as if his friends and family were mythologizing his gentle personality to make his death by cop sound even more despicable. 

Come on, he plays violin for stray kittens? Right. But true. His last words were requests for forgiveness, repeated apologies and telling the police that he loved them and that they were beautiful? Gimme a break. But also true. Confirmed by body cam sound. 

His last words are HERE.
We don’t know the whole story. Elijah clearly was a "different" kid. And he was probably panicking and agitated, which led to the Ketamine injection. But some things just don’t add up, do they? We’re supposed to believe that this gentle, unarmed, 140 lb. vegetarian violin player who was simply walking home, was such a huge threat to the THREE police officers they had to put him in a chokehold so strong it forced him to vomit? And inject him with Ketamine, which would eventually kill him?

[Image: c807f0b66b584996b37b81376147432c_18.jpg]

I have been following this. It was absolutely grotesque what happened to him. No we don't know the whole story but from what we do know it was a complete and utter overreaction. I am hoping for justice.

injected with ketamine. wtf 

Quote: @"Viking1987" said:
injected with ketamine. wtf 
500 milligrams.  Because they estimated his weight at 220 lbs. McClain weighed 140 lbs. 

I've been following this as well. I watched the compilation of all of the body cam footage which was absolutely heartbreaking. It's beyond comprehension to me. They could have simply observed him for a bit where they would have seen he was just walking home. Yes, he was a bit different. The first thing he said when approached was that he was an introvert and most could see that the situation would need to be handled differently as well. 

Instead it gets physical and one cop tells the other that Elijah was going for the other's gun. Later, the second cop said he didn't see him going for his gun as he was looking elsewhere. But by then it's too late. After he's on the ground and cuffed another cop keeps asking him what drugs he took, while another yells at him to stop moving. He's still being held down while cuffed, though they eventually help to position him while he throws up. 

What I didn't understand was why it was necessary to continue this after he is cuffed and on the ground. Why on earth did a responder inject him with anything at all. The compilation of footage ended with the notification of Elijah's family members at the hospital where he was in ICU on life support.

3 Aurora Police Officers Fired Over Elijah McClain Photo Scandal, 1 Resigned

AURORA, Colo. (CBS4) — The Aurora Police Department has fired two of the three officers who posed for photos at the Elijah McClain memorial. The other officer resigned. One photo shows the officers reenacting the chokehold used on McClain, who later died.
[Image: elijah-mcclain-aurora-police-photo-2.jpg](courtesy: Aurora Police)
“To even think about doing such a thing, it’s beyond comprehension, and it’s reprehensible. It shows a lack of morals values and integrity, and a judgment that I can no longer trust to allow them to wear this badge,” Interim Police Chief Vanessa Wilson said in a news conference Friday.

More at Link: https://denver.cbslocal.com/2020/07/03/3-aurora-police-officers-fired-over-elijah-mcclain-photo-scandal/

As if what happened wasnt bad enough...

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/12791...75907?s=20

So I'm going to say this and I'm sure it won't be popular. And I say this being a fan of police and their job is VERY difficult. But for some, being a police officer is like being in the Army: its a last resort move. A chunk of any police force has members that aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. It also draws others that want to be dominate or be in control of people. Maturity isn't high on their list of personal attributes. So horrible optics like the picture of the officers at the memorial are going to happen unfortunately. 

I will say it one more time...

If I was the parent of a black, male child? I'd be pretty damn concerned.

"The Talk?"  pretty sad the talk still has to happen these days. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
So I'm going to say this and I'm sure it won't be popular. And I say this being a fan of police and their job is VERY difficult. But for some, being a police officer is like being in the Army: its a last resort move. A chunk of any police force has members that aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. It also draws others that want to be dominate or be in control of people. Maturity isn't high on their list of personal attributes. So horrible optics like the picture of the officers at the memorial are going to happen unfortunately. 

This probably wont be popular either....

Any organization needs strong leaders and a culture that reflects what work gets done and how that work gets done. Tasks that support an organizations charter. One could argue this is even more important with work forces carrying guns and tasked with taking down bad people with guns. 

In the case of the police, their charter is a simple & important one; They are here to protect and serve their communities. 

We all know there is some bad apples in police forces everywhere and those individuals need to be weeded out and kicked to the curb.

But more importantly, I believe there are leaders in many of these police forces who are fostering cultures that are resulting in some really, really bad behavior. I hold them 100% accountable.

In The Mpls PD that culture has been broken for a while.  Aridondo seems like a wonderful man, someone you'd want as your neighbor. But I'm not sure he has the kahuna's to be a change agent, a disruptor and go toe to toe with a really bad and influential person in Bob Kroll (union head).