Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Easton or Boone?
Let me start by saying that I am not a fan of Alex Boone.  My opinions on who should start at LG are probably a little bias just based on the fact that I simply don't like Boone.  With that said, I think Nick Easton is making a case to take his job.  I realize it was only one preseason game, but the starting OL unit looked as good as we've seen in quite some time.  I'm all for a complete overhaul of a the worst unit in football over the past 2 seasons.  Sure, Boone was one of the better pieces of the line, but he still wasn't good.  Reiff/Hill, Easton, Elflein, Berger, Remmers would make 5 new starters along the line.  As long as Reiff returns, you're going to have some pretty good depth with Sirles, Hill and Isadora. 
At the end of the day, I do think Boone will start just based on his salary alone.  He has a pretty good size dead cap number, so i dont think he will be cut and im not sure anyone would trade for him.  Just based on his contract though, I do expect this will be his last season with the team.  He has 0 dead money after this year.  Baring a major step up in his play, of course.  The coaches have been saying they are going to play the 5 best guys.  I will be interested to see if they see Boone as a better option than Easton.  I'm not sure he is?

boone is all talk give easton a shot

Unfortunately, I think Boone is still the front runner when healthy. I'm also not a Boone fan, he's overrated and his height works against him at guard IMO.

I don't see any way Easton supplants Boone yet.  Boone is better than most give him credit for.  I mean look what he had to deal with at LT last year.  Hard for him to block for 2 positions at once.     He isn't great but he is solid.  I don't know at this point if Easton is even solid there.   Not enough time yet playing the position.

Boone has been nothing but glib sound bites to date, but it's way too early too move Easton in...for now...

Boone talks the talk, just wish he'd walk the walk.  I agree with Barr...Easton hasn't seen much combat yet

At this point I think we know what we have in Easton at Center and Boone at LG, but I don't think we have enough information about Easton at either G spot or Elflein at C or G.  I'd hope that over the next 2 games we get to see an extended look at those 2 guys in those positions, especially given Easton's limited experience at G.

I didn't go back and watch how Elflein or Easton did individually against the Seahawks...  but my initial impression was both played well.  I was worried that Michael Bennett and a talented Seahawks defensive line was going to cause the Vikings a lot of issues, but the opposite happened.  The line opened up some nice holes, got good push in the running game, and Bradford never got sacked.

I thought the line looked the best it has looked in.....well....too damn long. I know it was preseason and it's vanilla defense time, but a vanilla Seahawks D is better than a lot of other defenses in the regular season. It gave me a whole lot of hope seeing Hill, Easton, and Elflein perform the way they did. I honestly think the Vikings may have found a great combo.

Zero sacks, and some good running lanes. Until Easton is proven to be a fake leave him be. Tempted to leave Hill at LT too. Maybe put Reiff back to RT if Remmers continues to struggle. We already know the ceiling of Boone, and his 6'8" head has bumped against it multiple times.