Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Were these possible trade targets?
We all have read about the attempted trade up that Tampa shot down (Wirfs?). Here's one that's not been substantiated, but interesting nevertheless:

JJDEMARAY
Minnesota VIkings fans, sounds like the team had a trade in place to move up from #89 to #84 to land Neville Gallimore (DT). He was selected by the Cowboys at #82.

Wonder how much different our draft would have looked either way.

I thought Gallimore was the most underrated player in the draft, so I would've loved that. Sounds like the Vikings tried to move up even higher than that to land their DT, but could find no takers. Interesting that they may have finally found one at #84 with the Rams. Be interesting to watch the careers of Lynch vs. Gallimore. 

One of my big frustrations with the draft was that they waited too long to address DT, which is one of the biggest holes on the roster. Lynch has value as a situational interior rusher, but Gallimore had a decent chance of developing into a starter. That's where Spielman's trading down really irked me. He had so many draft picks & we had some clear immediate needs (e.g. WR, CB, DT, & they viewed LT as a more urgent need than I did), that it made sense to me for them to be aggressive. Obviously, that only works if other teams will agree to a trade & there's indications that they tried & failed to trade up several times. Sometimes it worked with Jefferson & Cleveland falling to their picks anyway, but I'd be curious to know how much they were willing to give & what other teams were asking for? The Dantzler pick was frustrating, since while I thought they'd double up at CB, I was expecting them to address NB/slot. Maybe they feel they did, but it's still unclear to me who is supposed to fill that role. The 3rd round is where the draft went a bit south for me, so I guess we'll need to see if Dantzler & trading down was the right move, or if they would have been better off giving up more.

Quote: @Tyr said:
One of my big frustrations with the draft was that they waited too long to address DT, which is one of the biggest holes on the roster. Lynch has value as a situational interior rusher, but Gallimore had a decent chance of developing into a starter. That's where Spielman's trading down really irked me. He had so many draft picks & we had some clear immediate needs (e.g. WR, CB, DT, & they viewed LT as a more urgent need than I did), that it made sense to me for them to be aggressive. Obviously, that only works if other teams will agree to a trade & there's indications that they tried & failed to trade up several times. Sometimes it worked with Jefferson & Cleveland falling to their picks anyway, but I'd be curious to know how much they were willing to give & what other teams were asking for? The Dantzler pick was frustrating, since while I thought they'd double up at CB, I was expecting them to address NB/slot. Maybe they feel they did, but it's still unclear to me who is supposed to fill that role. The 3rd round is where the draft went a bit south for me, so I guess we'll need to see if Dantzler & trading down was the right move, or if they would have been better off giving up more.
i heard from several sources and teams that trades up prior to the 4th round were almost non existent because teams really didnt have a chance to do much work with the later round prospects and they considered the bust potential to be much higher so they were clinging to their picks or demanding a premium if they did drop.   sure there were a few that moved down a few spots,  but as players come off the board and teams needs became more predictable trades were bound to be harder to make.

They tried to go up in round 3 to get either Okwara or Madubuike but pivoted to Gallimore once those two were off the board. The prices to get up were outrageous per source. So although they weren't able to get their top target at 3T it wasn't due to a lack of effort. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
They tried to go up in round 3 to get either Okwara or Madubuike but pivoted to Gallimore once those two were off the board. The prices to get up were outrageous per source. So although they weren't able to get their top target at 3T it wasn't due to a lack of effort. 
Geoff, how do you view the DT lineup heading into the season? And is it a pipe dream to thing Everson will be brought back?

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
Geoff, how do you view the DT lineup heading into the season? And is it a pipe dream to thing Everson will be brought back?
Pipe dream, no. But still unlikely. But as the days have gone by with him unsigned I think its become a more realistic possibility. 

I don't love what they have at 3T but Stephen is going to be the incumbent going into virtual OTAs and camp. Jaleel Johnson and Armon Watts will have an opportunity to displace him. Either way, they don't have a high-end pocket pusher. 

@PurpleCrush said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
Pipe dream, no. But still unlikely. But as the days have gone by with him unsigned I think its become a more realistic possibility. 

I don't love what they have at 3T but Stephen is going to be the incumbent going into virtual OTAs and camp. Jaleel Johnson and Armon Watts will have an opportunity to displace him. Either way, they don't have a high-end pocket pusher. 
Kind of what I was thinking. I figure the coaching staff loves Stephen and how fundamentally sound he is, but I just don't see the appeal of him starting. Between Johnson, Watts, Herc, Holmes and now Lynch, I'd hope someone can grab a hold of that spot and at least give us something, anything(!) more than what we got last year.

@PurpleCrush said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

DT is the biggest hole we have left after the draft. It sounds like they attempted to address it, but were blocked due to trade prices being too high. I do think that losing Griffen and arguably waiting too late to address the DL is going to hurt. What do you think about the state of the DL after the draft? They added three players in Wonnum, Lynch, & Willekes, but I worry that we may not get much in terms of immediate of impact. Once Gross-Matos started sliding, I was hoping that they'd move up for him. I think Odenigbo should be fine, but I'd feel a lot better about the D with 3 pass rushers at end. I'm really worried about 3T. I guess we need to hope that Lynch somehow becomes Hovan or Randle.

So heres a decent question. With the corona and the unknowns of lower draft picks:

Are you better off paying a premium relative to past years and getting someone you highly coveted?

OR

Throwing a whole bunch at the wall and hoping some of it sticks?  One of em has to be a bullseye doesnt it?

It’ll take a few years to figure out which strategy worked better but its been a year unlike any other.