Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frederick: Vikings are rebuilding, but it could be short
https://www.inforum.com/sports/football/6465622-Frederick-Vikings-are-rebuilding-but-it-could-be-short
The Minnesota Vikings made no major moves, no big swings during last weekend’s NFL draft.

Despite all the buildup and hypothesizing
about what they could do with that bounty of draft picks — which only
grew as the draft progressed — there was no trade for Trent Williams, no
deal for Odell Beckham Jr., not even a major move up the draft board.
Instead, Rick Spielman started Minnesota’s rebuild the old-fashioned way, one pick at a time.
Yeah, I said it — “rebuild.” A soft one, anyway.
What
other word could you use for a team that entered a specific draft
needing to find at least three or four starters to replenish a roster
that lost numerous veterans this offseason? Call it a “retooling” if
that helps you sleep better.

That word, rebuild, has such a
negative connotation, especially here in Minnesota, where the
Timberwolves have “rebuilt” four or five times over a 15-year span
without ever actually “building” toward anything.
But there are proper ways to rebuild.
One
key to a good rebuild is starting it on time. Minnesota hit the mark
there. Spielman and Mike Zimmer could’ve looked at this past season, one
in which the Vikings knocked a Super Bowl contender out of the
playoffs, and said, “Hey, we’re close, let’s do our best to run it
back.”
With the past few seasons
tabbed “Super Bowl or bust,” and Zimmer’s job security was questioned
late in last year’s campaign, that would have been the easy answer. The
pressure to contend is high.
But in
the week that followed Minnesota’s humbling divisional-round loss to San
Francisco, Zimmer acknowledged football is “a young man’s game” and the
Vikings quickly began dumping underachieving veterans making too much
money.

Gone are Xavier Rhodes, Everson Griffen (as
of now, anyway), Linval Joseph, Trae Waynes, Mackensie Alexander and
Stefon Diggs, among others. Here are free agent signees such as Michael
Pierce and Tajae Sharpe, and a host of draft picks, expected to contend
for starting roles.
The general
consensus is the Vikings’ draft was a home run. They tackled their needs
and often seemed to do so by selecting one of the best players
available, a general manager’s dream.
Justin
Jefferson, Jeff Gladney, Ezra Cleveland and Cameron Dantzler all figure
to contend for starting jobs this season. Perhaps one or two
later-round picks will, as well. But while a good draft often means a
good future, it doesn’t guarantee a good following season.
Jefferson
likely won’t match Diggs’ production in Year 1. Asking Gladney and
Dantzler to be as good as Rhodes, Waynes or Alexander as rookies seems
unfair. Most agree that Cleveland won’t be Minnesota’s starting left
tackle Week 1.
All four early
selections could very well have great careers in purple, in due time. To
simply assume any will be great as rookies — particularly following
what will likely be an offseason with reduced hands-on training and
instruction — is unwise.

But, long term, they could be perfect fits to
grow and build around Minnesota’s younger core, the one that features
Danielle Hunter, Eric Kendricks, Brian O’Neill, Garrett Bradbury, Mike
Hughes, Irv Smith Jr. and maybe even Dalvin Cook.
That’s
a strong young group that can lead the Vikings into the future under
the guidance of talented veterans like Adan Thielen, Kirk Cousins,
Harrison Smith, Anthony Harris and Anthony Barr, all of whom are in
their primes.
In the next year or two,
the Vikings may determine Cousins is not the quarterback to lead them
to the top. If that’s the case, they should still have a quality roster
with which the next quarterback can work, and win.
In
one offseason, the Vikings’ roster moved from aging to well balanced.
Such a transformation may cause a few early bumps, but there’s no reason
to panic if that’s indeed the case. Struggles figure to be short-lived
and could be immediately followed by another extended window of
contention beginning as soon as 2021.
A properly executed rebuild doesn’t last forever.

I had almost forgotten about all the OBJ talk...

Pretty rational article.

Its hard not to think this might be a mini-reset this season: lots of starters are gone. 

I knew we'd lose Griff, Rhodes, Waynes, Joseph and Mack. That was a foregone conclusion. I also thought we'd not be able to keep Harris. So I thought going into the offseason that our defense was going to suck so bad in 2020 that we would have to add a piece or two to our already very good offense and just outscore everyone. 

Two things happened since then: we lost Diggs and we had a fantastic draft. 

Now, things look a little different. Jefferson won't come close to replacing Diggs, but the WR position is sure better than I thought it could be after losing Diggs. The line should be better as well. 

And the defense...hmm...suddenly doesn't look too bad. Griff, Rhodes, Waynes, Mack and Joseph are now Odenigbo, Hughes, Gladney, Dantzler and Pierce. Certainly young and probably poised to make a lot of mistakes, but our corner play last year was atrocious. It's not so crazy to think we might have upgraded. 

And if you're going to rebuild/retool, it's convenient to do so in a season that might be shortened or even canceled.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I knew we'd lose Griff, Rhodes, Waynes, Joseph and Mack. That was a foregone conclusion. I also thought we'd not be able to keep Harris. So I thought going into the offseason that our defense was going to suck so bad in 2020 that we would have to add a piece or two to our already very good offense and just outscore everyone. 

Now, things look a little different. Jefferson won't come close to replacing Diggs, but the WR position is sure better than I thought it could be after losing Diggs. The line should be better as well. 

And the defense...hmm...suddenly doesn't look too bad. Griff, Rhodes, Waynes, Mack and Joseph are now Odenigbo, Hughes, Gladney, Dantzler and Pierce. Certainly young and probably poised to make a lot of mistakes, but our corner play last year was atrocious. It's not so crazy to think we might have upgraded. 

until they fix the 3T position with a real disrupting presence I think our coverage is going to suffer regardless of changing DBs.  

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:

until they fix the 3T position with a real disrupting presence I think our coverage is going to suffer regardless of changing DBs.  
Agree with both of you guys.  Today's NFL allows for about a one offseason rebuild (sort of kidding- OK maybe 2).  You need some of your current players to take a big jump and usually a rookie or two to start and play decent at least.  

That said,  Marron I feel the same way after this offseason is almost said and done (free agents).  We knew who we were going to lose in free agency about two years ago never mind this year.  I will say that I was hoping to keep Mac but the injury in the Bears game supposedly set in stone him moving on.  

So if guys like Odin (changed to the Viking God) and Hughes can step up as vets and Gladney starts and does well our Defense can actually be better - mainly because as you pointed out our secondary/CB's were bad last year and really bad at the end of the year.

Then on offense we really only need Jefferson to play up to rookie expectations because we have so many weapons.  

Now the interior OL remains my biggest concern even after these pieces fall into line.  We are all hoping what we have that someone will step up that didn't last year or I guess Free agency.  Free agency does not seem to have anyone that can be our answer from my novice opinion.

But the scenario that you guys paint can certainly happen in one offseason.  As diehard fans many of us only focus on the guys we lost but forget some studs we still have on both sides of the ball.    

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:

I think just the fact that we have pass rushers ready to compete for the 3T position helps. Stephen, if he makes the team, is a disciplined gap player who's OK against the run, but doesn't offer anything in terms of getting to the passer. If one of Lynch, Watts, Mata'afa (pass rushers all) can beat him out, the pass rush should be improved. Of course, we might lose something in run defense.

I think the bigger problem in 2020 will be replacing the pressure we got from Griffen. Offenses will likely just roll protection over to Hunter. Not sure we have the threat on the other side to discourage that.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:

I think just the fact that we have pass rushers ready to compete for the 3T position helps. Stephen, if he makes the team, is a disciplined gap player who's OK against the run, but doesn't offer anything in terms of getting to the passer. If one of Lynch, Watts, Mata'afa (pass rushers all) can beat him out, the pass rush should be improved. Of course, we might lose something in run defense.

I think the bigger problem in 2020 will be replacing the pressure we got from Griffen. Offenses will likely just roll protection over to Hunter. Not sure we have the threat on the other side to discourage that.
Mataafa is lightening,  but doesnt strike near often enough and seems to wear down to quickly to be a 3 down guy, ( his added weight could be a difference maker there,  or a hindrance, time will tell) which IMO will be key to solidifying our D,  we have to be good on all 3 downs and having to choose between run d and pass d on first down or other unpredictable situations was the Achilles heel last year IMO.  Watts has some potential,  but to date unrealized.  Lynch is in the same mold as Mataafa IMO,  likley will be a little light to hold up on run downs,  but I hope I am wrong.