Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jeremiah Mock: Johnson, Higgins to Vikings

they cant let Love fall to the Packers.   I dont think he is a top 10 talent in terms of readiness,  but I would certainly use one of our picks ahead of the packers to grab him and then let him learn behind Kirk for a year or two.   Its not really a good deal for the team short term,  but I think he could be a real good player for us long term.

Will Detroit really pass on Tua?

That seems to be the consensus...

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
they cant let Love fall to the Packers.   I dont think he is a top 10 talent in terms of readiness,  but I would certainly use one of our picks ahead of the packers to grab him and then let him learn behind Kirk for a year or two.   Its not really a good deal for the team short term,  but I think he could be a real good player for us long term.
Yeah if GB gets Love after we already picked twice, and he turns out to be good (big if), that's gonna really suck. Hopefully they're content with Washed Rodgers for a few more seasons before picking an heir.
EDIT- This mock sorta doesn't fall great for us at all, winding up with choices between CB4, WR5, and OT5. Thus, I have concluded DJ is a know-nothing hack.*
*Until he releases his next, more Vikings-friendly mock.

Not a huge fan of this mock. I like Jaylon Johnson a lot. I'd draft him before Fulton, but not Terrell. Still, that seems a bit early. Jeremiah is one of the more "connected" media scouts, and his mocks are based a lot on what he hears, so maybe the NFL does have Johnson that high. Too high for Higgins, too, IMO. Smacks too much like 2016, when we took the 4th receiver in the 23 slot (Treadwell). 

And just a painful reminder that not only was Treadwell a bust, but all three of the receivers taken ahead of him have been busts as well. Coleman, Fuller, and Doctson. If this is how it falls, I pass on Higgins and try for better value in the 2nd round. 

Not seeing anyone ranking any of the tail-backs first rd worthy....

Quote: @pattersaur said:

Yeah if GB gets Love after we already picked twice, and he turns out to be good (big if), that's gonna really suck. Hopefully they're content with Washed Rodgers for a few more seasons before picking an heir.
EDIT- This mock sorta doesn't fall great for us at all, winding up with choices between CB4, WR5, and OT5. Thus, I have concluded DJ is a know-nothing hack.*
This scenario seems way too much like how the Packers got Rodgers...  Vikings have two 1st round picks and an established QB...  Packers have an elite QB entering his final years and take a highly rated QB with flaws to marinate for a couple seasons...

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@pattersaur said:

This scenario seems way too much like how the Packers got Rodgers...  Vikings have two 1st round picks and an established QB...  Packers have an elite QB entering his final years and take a highly rated QB with flaws to marinate for a couple seasons...
which is exactly why we cant let it happen again... hell  if there are 2 QBs still on the board when we pick at 22 take them both in the first.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Wetlander said:
@pattersaur said:

which is exactly why we cant let it happen again... hell  if there are 2 QBs still on the board when we pick at 22 take them both in the first.
lol

I think it could be effectively  argued the 2005 draft changed the trajectory for the Vikings and Packers for the next decade:
2005 NFL Draft Selections
ROUND ONE
1. San Francisco, Alex Smith, qb, Utah.
2. Miami, Ronnie Brown, rb, Auburn.
3. Cleveland, Braylon Edwards, wr, Michigan.
4. Chicago, Cedric Benson, rb, Texas.
5. Tampa Bay, Carnell Williams, rb, Auburn.
6. Tennessee, Adam Jones, db, West Virginia.
7. Minnesota (from Oakland), Troy Williamson, wr, South Carolina.
8. Arizona, Antrel Rolle, db, Miami.
9. Washington, Carlos Rogers, db, Auburn.
10. Detroit, Mike Williams, wr, Southern Cal.
11. Dallas, DeMarcus Ware, de, Troy.
12. San Diego (from N.Y. Giants), Shawne Merriman, lb, Maryland.
13. New Orleans (from Houston), Jammal Brown, ot, Oklahoma.
14. Carolina, Thomas Davis, db, Georgia.
15. Kansas City, Derrick Johnson, lb, Texas.
16. Houston (from New Orleans), Travis Johnson, dt, Florida State.
17. Cincinnati, David Pollack, lb, Georgia.
18. Minnesota, Erasmus James, de, Wisconsin.
19. St. Louis, Alex Barron, ot, Florida State.
20. Dallas (from Buffalo), Marcus Spears, de, LSU.
21. Jacksonville, Matt Jones, wr, Arkansas.
22. Baltimore, Mark Clayton, wr, Oklahoma.
23. Oakland (from Seattle), Fabian Washington, db, Nebraska.
24. Green Bay, Aaron Rodgers, qb, California.
25. Washington (from Denver), Jason Campbell, qb, Auburn.
26. Seattle (from N.Y. Jets through Oakland), Chris Spencer, c, Mississippi.
27. Atlanta, Roddy White, wr, UAB.
28. San Diego, Luis Castillo, dt, Northwestern.
29. Indianapolis, Marlin Jackson, db, Michigan.
30. Pittsburgh, Heath Miller, te, Virginia.
31. Philadelphia, Mike Patterson, dt, Southern Cal.
32. New England, Logan Mankins, g, Fresno State.