Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFLDG Mock 1.0
The inaugural mock otherwise known as quarantine boredom. As always, here is the drill. Leading up to the draft I walk through numerous difference scenarios that I view as realistic for the Vikings concluding with a final mock on draft day which is a legitimate prediction. Part of my goal is to expose some of you to different players and see how the team can potentially find value in the later rounds. I don't want to talk your ear off... so here we go: 

1(16) via ATL - CJ Henderson (CB/Florida): Team trade up? Typically the Vikings let the draft come to them, but with a surplus of picks they have the ability to get "their" guys. In this case they trade up to pick #16 using #22, 3rd round pick #105, and a 6th round pick #205. The prize? The second best CB in this years class and a ball of clay for Zimmer to work with. Henderson mirrors in coverage as well as anyone in this class and understands how to play the ball down the field. Although his ball production was a bit low, he has active hands and challenges receivers of all types at the catch point. Some will point out that he doesn't want to play downhill physically but Zimmer was able to overcome that with Trae Waynes who was a similar prospect in some regards. Point is, the Vikings get a clear CB1 prospect who can come in and start day 1 on the outside. 

2 (36) via NYG - Cesar Ruiz (OG/Michigan): To help offset the cost of trading up the Vikings recoup a 3rd round pick #99 to allow the Giants to start the rush on edge rushers that is likely to occur at the back half of the 1st round. It may be a surprise that the Vikings target the interior O-line here but they've set themselves up to be flexible. Depending on how the board falls they need to add a day 1 starter at either OT or OG and Ruiz is a plug and play option along the interior. Although he is not your prototypical fit in the zone blocking scheme, he is serviceable and brings a level of physicality and grit. He is the type of anchor that would fit great next to last years 1st round pick Garrett Bradbury who I would expect to take a large leap forward. This likely means sticking with Riley Reiff which likely will leave some displeased, but he is a functional LT and the overall O-line room is improving. 

2 (58) - Tee Higgins (WR/Clemson): Over the years Gary Kubiak has always been heavily dependent on his WR 1 & 2 but rarely are they similar players. In an ideal world you are able to have two players who as a duo can work the middle of the field, stretch the defense vertically, and win with size in the red zone. What does this paint a picture of? Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders. Thielen fits the Sanders role to a 'T' while Higgins can be the 'X' receiver who works on the outside. He isn't nearly the physical freak that Thomas was but has been nitpicked too much during the pre-draft process leading to his slight drop in a loaded WR class. At his best, Higgins wins down the field and it a ball magnet in contested catch situations. He may have the best hands in the draft. Although he won't necessarily win regularly with athleticism he adjusts to the ball extremely well and shows late hands to shield the ball away from defenders. I also don't believe he is a finished product and may be a better NFL player when placed in a 2 WR set vs. playing out of the spread. Another player who can come in and contribute immediately early for MN. 

3 (89) - Josh Uche (EDGE/Michigan): You can get in an argument all day if Uche was used properly at Michigan or not. Point is, he has all the athletic traits you look for in an NFL edge rusher. He has tremendous bend and an excellent first step. What he lacks are true counters and hand placement. Over the years the Vikings have made their money taking athletic rushers and teaching them how to rush the passer. Uche isn't a player who will be a regular starter day 1. But he does have the ability to sub in as a situational pass rusher early. Ifeadi Odenigbo deserves the opportunity to start, but this allows him to kick inside on 3rd downs or rotate off the field to stay fresh. 

3 (99) - Alex Taylor (OT/South Carolina State): I played around with adding another DB here, but went back to the O-line well. There are a few raw O-lineman in this class that project as NFL starters if you're willing to wait. I view Alex Taylor as one of those better options. He offers high end athleticism and shows good balance in his pass sets. Boy can he get out and move when asked to get to the second level. Upon entering the league he'll need to improve his hand usage (consistency) and keep his pads down. But he offers a lot for a small school prospect who could come along quickly with NFL coaching. The larger question that loom is, can he play on the left side? 

4 (132) - Reggie Robison II (CB/Tulsa): If I could choose one player I think is being slept on in this class, Robinson may be at the top of the list. Talk about a highly athletic outside corner who has the size to go with it. Robinson offers a tremendous physical skill-set to work with at the NFL level. He needs to refine the nuances of the CB position but has shown production throughout his collegiate career. Sometimes when you watch the film you just say "This guy can play". His biggest weakness early on will his inability to pace himself throughout routes. Instead of being physical at the stem he will need to learn to anticipate and hit the break. For MN is offers a good depth piece and likely rounds out a DB room that is more talented than most are suggesting. A starting 3 of Henderson, Hughes, and Hill can easily get the job done. 

5 (155) - McTelvin Agim (DT/Arkansas): MN goes back to the Arkansas D-line pool after finding a gem in Armon Watts a year ago. The Vikings tend to value raw athleticism and pedigree in their late round lineman and Agim features both. Coming out of HS as a 5 star recruit, Agim has struggled to find a true home along the D-line. Although he lacks lateral mobility most teams look for, he is a tremendous straight line athlete. Fortunately the Vikings have shown a significant preference for these types of players along the interior. Only switching to the interior D-line recently, Agim is raw technically but showed an early ability to shoot the gap and redirect anyone in the backfield. He won't start day one but could prove to be a gem in time. 

6 (201) - Joe Reed (WR/West Virginia): After adding a true 'X' receiver in the 2nd round the Vikings get a different flavor of receiver in Reed. In the NFL Reed will likely make his money as a potential high end returner, but he could be used in a gadget role from time to time. Both are high needs for the Vikings and his ability to get on the field immediately on special teams will buy him some time to develop on the roster. In space, good things happen when Reed touches the ball and shows he can separate underneath with his twitch. The issue is that he is not a refined route runner and shy away for physicality throughout the route. He can make a year one impact but it may be wishful thinking to view him as anymore than a gadget guy. Some may criticize the lack of another WR earlier in this draft class, but watch Alexander Hollins in year two. The Vikings think they found something there. 

7 (239) - L'Jarius Snead (S/Middle Tennessee): The Vikings need added safety depth behind Harrison Smith and the surprise return of Anthony Harris. Snead is more of a free safety but has the ability to move around the field and even play in the slot from time to time. He steps in and fills the role of Jayron Kearse from a year ago. Personally I feel like Jayron will be missed a lot more than some seem to think. 

7 (249) - Carter Coughlin (LB/Minnesota): Some were probably hoping for a hometown pick earlier in the draft (Antoine Winfield Jr/Tyler Johnson *cough *cough) but end up waiting until the 7th round to select Carter Coughlin. Its debatable if Coughlin is a LB or Edge player in the NFL. He has the twitch of an edge prospect but the downfield playing style of a LB. Time will tell, but the Vikings lack a true backup to Anthony Barr on the roster, which Coughlin can come in and compete for. He likely won't be seeing defensive snaps in the near future but he could be an elite special teams player, which the Vikings value tremendously in their late round picks. 

7 (253) - Kevin Dotson (G/Louisiana): Dotson is a heavy weight mauler along the interior line but wins with size vs. technique. Most scouting reports do not depict him as an athletic lineman, but I saw no issues with him hitting his landmarks on take. I actually was rather impressed when my real focus was on his right side counterpart (RT) Robert Hunt. After striking out on pure athleticism along the inside, they've turned to more of a hybrid approach looking for a player who can anchor and move well enough. Its questionable if Dotson make the roster out of camp, but he is worth the look. If not, he is a great practice squad candidate since he has upside. 

Yay

I luv me some Tee Higgins..

thanks 

Great draft VG

Not bad.  I like the trade up for a player you like.  Henderson is a good one.

Not sold on Ruiz.  As much as Higgins has been knocked down since the end of the season, the opposite is true of Ruiz. I think he is OK but I could take Shane Lemieux, Jonah Jackson, or Netane Muti later and be OK with that too.

I think you probably have to take Higgins where you took Ruiz but this is a common argument made in mock drafts that none can prove including myself.

I don't see Uche at all.  He measured 6'1.2" 245 with 33 5/8" arms at the combine.  He did not do any other tests besides doing 18 reps on the bench.  He is a little small to be a 4-3 DE.  But Yannick Ngakoue was 6'2" 252 and Olivier Vernon was 6'2" 261.  Maybe he will be similar to these two?

Alex Taylor is a massive project.  It seems like a pretty big reach at the end of the 3rd.

Only getting one safety is interesting.  I guess they will have 3 safeties in this plan.

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
Not bad.  I like the trade up for a player you like.  Henderson is a good one.

Not sold on Ruiz.  As much as Higgins has been knocked down since the end of the season, the opposite is true of Ruiz. I think he is OK but I could take Shane Lemieux, Jonah Jackson, or Netane Muti later and be OK with that too.

I think you probably have to take Higgins where you took Ruiz but this is a common argument made in mock drafts that none can prove including myself.

I don't see Uche at all.  He measured 6'1.2" 245 with 33 5/8" arms at the combine.  He did not do any other tests besides doing 18 reps on the bench.  He is a little small to be a 4-3 DE.  But Yannick Ngakoue was 6'2" 252 and Olivier Vernon was 6'2" 261.  Maybe he will be similar to these two?

Alex Taylor is a massive project.  It seems like a pretty big reach at the end of the 3rd.

Only getting one safety is interesting.  I guess they will have 3 safeties in this plan.
Those are all fair takes. My thoughts on the Higgins scenario is that you wait on WR until later on because someone you like will make it to our pick in the 2nd. I also think the O-lineman you take at the top of the 2nd is interchangeable. Ruiz was the choice here but I think someone like Austin Jackson (if he slips) or Ezra Cleveland also could make some sense. 

Thanks for taking the time to put together a mock draft, it's always interesting to see your perspective on things. There are a couple things that I'm curious about:
  • I think DT should be a much higher need. The Vikings have tried to develop multiple mid-round DTs over the years with limited success and Johnson is average at best and I think it's time that they invested a high pick on a DT. A DT who can generate quick pressure up the middle would do wonders for the D.
  • I do feel that the Vikings have a better track record with mid-round DEs, so taking a project there is more acceptable than DT. Though Holmes was the exception to never pan out.
  • Taking two outside CBs is a bit of a surprise, I guess that would make Hughes the slot corner by default.
  • I like the Joe Reed pick. Rule changes have limited the effectiveness of returners, but their return game was particularly bad last season, so I'd like a new option there. Also, if he does well in camp, then maybe they can finally get Abdullah off the roster.
  • Coughlin is an interesting pick, since they really haven't had a backup for Barr. Also, is there any chance that they use Barr as more of a pass rusher this season with Griffen gone? I know that he's the piece that has quietly made Zimmer's scheme work (with range and not just the blitz looks), but I'd like to see what he could as a rusher if given the chance and I think Wilson is good enough to play some more snaps at LB. I wouldn't mind seeing a late round pick at LB to finally get Gedeon off of the roster.

Probably doesn't fit the Kubiak mold, but Bredeson seems to have been lost in the shuffle over the last few weeks even though he was rated in the the top 3 IOL in the country. Ruiz is very good, but Bredeson in the 3rd would be a steal.