Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Placeholder For DT And DE Prospects
Starting now.

Excellent. After Brown and Kinlaw, who likely won't be available, there's a group of 3Ts that I can't seem to get a good feel for. Ross Blacklock, Jordan Elliott, Justin Madubuike, and Neville Gallmore. While I agree that it would be great to come away from this draft with a starting 3T who can give us some inside pressure, all of these guys seem to have significant weaknesses and I can't seem to get excited about using a 1st round pick on any of them. Change my mind. 

South Carolina DL Javon Kinlaw met with the Bills this week via FaceTime according to NYUP and the Syracuse Post-Standard. Buffalo doesn't have a first-round pick, and with Kinlaw (6'5/324) projected by many to be off the board within the first ten selections the Bills would have to make some moves if he is their guy. A first team all-SEC selection last season, Kinlaw could potentially be used either as a 4-3 tackle or a 3-4 end due to his combination of size, strength and athleticism. NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein compares the former Gamecock to Michael Brockers, making note of his "heavy, violent hands" and "explosive first step" as positive traits. 

[Image: Auburn%20University.png]
According to SB Nation's Justin Melo, the Bears had Auburn DL Marlon Davidson in for a top-30 visit before in-person visits were shut down due to the COVID-19 pandemic.Davidson (6'3/303) has the potential to be a first-round pick, but his limited athletic testing (he only did the 40 and bench press at the NFL Scouting Combine) will leave teams to rely even more on his game tape. What's interesting about his meeting with Chicago is that the Bears don't have a first-round pick, and they won't be on the board until the 50th overall selection. According to Melo, Davidson has recently met with the Browns, Titans an

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Excellent. After Brown and Kinlaw, who likely won't be available, there's a group of 3Ts that I can't seem to get a good feel for. Ross Blacklock, Jordan Elliott, Justin Madubuike, and Neville Gallmore. While I agree that it would be great to come away from this draft with a starting 3T who can give us some inside pressure, all of these guys seem to have significant weaknesses and I can't seem to get excited about using a 1st round pick on any of them. Change my mind. 
That's why using 22 to move up for Brown or Kinlaw makes sense. You can move back from 25 and still have the same number of picks in the Top 105 and in the process you add a true Blue Chip Prospect.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@MaroonBells said:
That's why using 22 to move up for Brown or Kinlaw makes sense. You can move back from 25 and still have the same number of picks in the Top 105 and in the process you add a true Blue Chip Prospect.
I'm never a fan of moving up, but it might make sense this year. If we used both 1st rounders we could get in the top 10. If we kept 25 and paired our 2nd rounder with #22, we'd get to roughly the middle teens. But, yeah, that would almost require us to trade out of 25 to recoup a pick where all that value at WR and CB is...

@FSUVike said:
@MaroonBells said:
I'm never a fan of moving up, but it might make sense this year. If we used both 1st rounders we could get in the top 10. If we kept 25 and paired our 2nd rounder with #22, we'd get to roughly the middle teens. But, yeah, that would almost require us to trade out of 25 to recoup a pick where all that value at WR and CB is...
Hmmm, I see the 2nd as the Round to grab O-Line help (or a Safety if Harris gets traded) with the 3rd being the high value Round for WRs and CBs.

• [Image: Texas%20A%26M%20University.png]
    Draft Wire's Justin Melo passes along that Texas A&M DT Justin Madubuike took video meetings with the Saints, Vikings and Bengals.Madubuike (6'3/293) earlier managed to sneak in a formal visit with the Titans, prior to face-to-face meetings being put on hold. Strong and quick, the Texas A&M lineman is still something of a work-in-progress as a pass-rusher. NFL Media's Lance Zierlein comps the potential Day 2 prospect to Dolphins DT Davon Godchaux.
    SOURCE: Justin Melo on TwitterApr 1, 2020, 12:43 PM ET

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I'm seeing Kinlaw ranked in the mid to late teens...if he does actually make it that far, I find a way to go get him. In my particular hierarchy of positional importance, I've got 3T after QB. 

I've got Blacklock closer to Kinlaw than most. Positional flexibility helps his cause.  He can burst and close. Needs some technical clean up, but Dre will work that out. 

After that, I haven't dug deep.

Brown and Kinlaw will both be gone in the top 15 picks IMO.  After that, I don't think any of the DTs you mentioned are worth a 1st round pick.

I think Blacklock has the best combination of quickness, motor, and pass rushing ability in that next tier or two of DTs.  I think he's probably someone to consider at 25... but depending on how the draft falls, there are other players I would rather take than him.  Madubuike is a close second and might have some untapped potential with his quickness. Gallimore looks like a stiff, straight-line rusher.  I just don't see the athletic ability that makes me think he'll be a good pass rusher in the NFL.

Just some of my thoughts after checking these guys out.  I think Kinlaw will slide before Brown.  As others have said, if he starts dropping into the teens because teams are taking QBs and some of these WRs and OTs...  go get him.  A guy with his physical ability paired with Andre Patterson...  watch out.