Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just Stop Mocking A DE To The Vikings RIGHT NOW!
https://www.si.com/.amp-vikings/nfl/viki...ssion=true

There are three reasons why that's highly unlikely.
The first is the presence of Ifeadi Odenigbo, a 2017 seventh-round pick who shined in a reserve role last year. National writers see the loss of Griffen and assume he must be replaced through the draft. People who follow the Vikings closely know that Odenigbo had seven sacks and 18 pressures in just 348 snaps last year, and appears ready to seize Griffen's old job starting across from Danielle Hunter.

The Vikings do need to add a defensive end or two after losing Griffen and Weatherly. But instead of using a first or second-round pick on an edge rusher, expect the Vikings to do what they've done in the past: wait until at least the third or fourth round and target someone with elite athletic traits and untapped potential.

The one exception I can see is if Matos from Penn State falls.  Reminds me of a slightly lesser but more polished Hunter.

Quote: @Watcher said:
The one exception I can see is if Matos from Penn State falls.  Reminds me of a slightly lesser but more polished Hunter.
If nothing else but to hear PA announce  YEE-tore gross mah-toes

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
The Vikings do need to add a defensive end or two after losing Griffen and Weatherly. But instead of using a first or second-round pick on an edge rusher, expect the Vikings to do what they've done in the past: wait until at least the third or fourth round and target someone with elite athletic traits and untapped potential.
They have historically had success with developing 3rd and 4th round DEs like Hunter, Griffen, & Robison. I know there is some thought that Odenigbo may be better suited as a guy they can move around to different spots, but I certainly think he's the starter by default right now. I think if we were to spend a high pick on a DE, it would be more a case where someone they really liked fell into their laps, but if we are spending a high pick on DL, then I think we'd get a much greater return finding a DT who can generate quick interior pressure.

For transparency, 348 snaps is about 1/3 of total snaps...said the same thing when Hunter went from a role player to full time...All-Vowels™ is going to be a beast...If we can get average play out of Watts or a combination of Watts and a guy like Blacklock, Hunter and Odenigbo are going to be an absolute nightmare...

Quote: @Tyr said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
They have historically had success with developing 3rd and 4th round DEs like Hunter, Griffen, & Robison. I know there is some thought that Odenigbo may be better suited as a guy they can move around to different spots, but I certainly think he's the starter by default right now. I think if we were to spend a high pick on a DE, it would be more a case where someone they really liked fell into their laps, but if we are spending a high pick on DL, then I think we'd get a much greater return finding a DT who can generate quick interior pressure.
The only player I trade up for it he gets out of the top ten is Kinlaw...3T does more to fix the D than any player not named Chase Young...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@Tyr said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
The only player I trade up for it he gets out of the top ten is Kinlaw...3T does more to fix the D than any player not named Chase Young...
I've wanted them to address 3T for a couple years now. We had a 1-year reprieve with Richardson, who really demonstrated the value of quick interior pressure. I feel that guys like Johnson and Stephen are better used as rotational pieces and while Watts showed flashes, I wouldn't pass up on a good DT because of him. Outside of Kinlaw are there other 3Ts that you like?

Kinlaw is a beast, no doubt...and I'd love to have him in the middle of our D between Hunter & Pierce. I'm just a bit hesitant to give up some prime picks that can be used to help cover other areas of needs too. Blacklock and Jordan Elliott are other DT's I've seen that appear to be good fits for our Defense, and can probably be had in the 2nd and 3rd respectively. 

With that being said, IF Kinlaw starts dropping a bit...it sure as hell would be tempting to go up and grab him.

Quote: @Tyr said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@Tyr said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
I've wanted them to address 3T for a couple years now. We had a 1-year reprieve with Richardson, who really demonstrated the value of quick interior pressure. I feel that guys like Johnson and Stephen are better used as rotational pieces and while Watts showed flashes, I wouldn't pass up on a good DT because of him. Outside of Kinlaw are there other 3Ts that you like?
I'd be damn happy with Blacklock with either first rounder...to me he's definitely DT3...

Summary - Ross Blacklock is a scheme diverse talent who has all the physical tools needed to be a disruptive presence up front on an NFL defensive line. Blacklock's length, hand power, lateral agility and first step quickness are all plus qualities and once he's able to polish his pad level/leverage and hand placement, Blacklock will have a chance to be an impact defender. His projection is best as a 3T in an even front, where his athleticism can shine through and allow penetration into the backfield.