Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How will our health care system need to evolve?
Lots of talk before the pandemic, will be even more so afterwards...

We're a private system, bottom line and topline matter greatly. How do you a structure  and fund a system that can handle future catastrophe's?

Or do we carry on believing there won't be others?

6 mos ago, our "health care system" led the world in pandemic preparation.  https://www.ghsindex.org/#l-section--map

Our health care system continues to lead the world.  

Your OP question is a non-sequitur.  Wink

Quote: @"savannahskol" said:
6 mos ago, our "health care system" led the world in pandemic preparation.  https://www.ghsindex.org/#l-section--map

Our health care system continues to lead the world.  

Your OP question is a non-sequitur.  Wink
reading that report,  it is essentially saying our country was the smartest kid on the short bus.   I think some are seeing that report as a pat on the back of the US for its preparedness,  but at the same time when it says that globally we were very ill prepared I dont think its something to crow about.  especially since I dont know how accurate of a picture can be painted by running scenarios with people who are in on the purpose of the drill.

Being prepared and executing are two different things.  I think we will have worse numbers (performance) than Italy and the models to duplicate will be S Korea, Norway and Korea Tiwan.
You got a choice, believe your eyes or some article you find on the web.  Listened to scientists compare and contrast efforts and i'll believe my eyes.  I also believe the numbers in that report misses the real factors.  There is a an interactive map that lets you adjust the preparedness based on income level, the only one that show prepared is the High filter, what does that mean?

There is plenty of work to do. Clearly the ignored warnings, lack of response as well as preparedness team, we are seeing the results and numerous failings. The execution and coordination of services has been abysmal. Hopefully we can learn from this and move forward. It's great to see the states that are stepping up. There are some great medical professionals in this country. Listening to the experts it is clear to see what needs to done, the question remains whether or not changes will be made. I appreciate the efforts of the health care workers on the front lines in this. They definitely need more support. My sister is a doctor and she is basically staying at the hospital 24/7.

personally,  I think once again the lesson to be learned is that the fed govt cant be the first line of defense for everything that goes to shit in our country.  I know we have this big FEMA division,  but they are not a rapid response type of agency and shouldnt be counted on as such.  I think we need to have stronger state and local (county and city) response teams (both paid and volunteer) that know the area,  know the people, and are better equipped with local knowledge to develop and ultimately institute reaction plans to the various massive events that can hit our areas.

the Federal govts role should be oversight in plan preparedness and organizing and distributing resources.   We dont rely on the FBI to be our local law enforcement, why would we think FEMA would/should play a bigger role in our well being?

in summation... we need to get better at taking care of our own problems and quite acting like a baby chick in a nest with our necks stretched to the sky,  beaks open,  waiting for the big eagle to come swooping in a take care of us.

as far as our health care system... i dont think there is a fix,  i dont think socialized medicine would work worth a shit here,  but I will never argue that our current system is the answer either.  I dont think that we will likely see much better localized response plans created for pandemics in the future including all local areas having a designated triage type station away from the normal hospitals and an emergency hospital facility designated to take contagious people so that they dont contaminate the primary facilities.

Any plan is only as good as the willingness to fully commit to and execute it. 
As a member of a manufacturing companies safety committee I've been ashamed at times with management's dragging it's feet over the difference between the plan and weighing cost and lost production in implementation. It great to have a plan. Unless someone is afraid to pull the trigger.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
personally,  I think once again the lesson to be learned is that the fed govt cant be the first line of defense for everything that goes to shit in our country.  I know we have this big FEMA division,  but they are not a rapid response type of agency and shouldnt be counted on as such.  I think we need to have stronger state and local (county and city) response teams (both paid and volunteer) that know the area,  know the people, and are better equipped with local knowledge to develop and ultimately institute reaction plans to the various massive events that can hit our areas.

the Federal govts role should be oversight in plan preparedness and organizing and distributing resources.   We dont rely on the FBI to be our local law enforcement, why would we think FEMA would/should play a bigger role in our well being?

in summation... we need to get better at taking care of our own problems and quite acting like a baby chick in a nest with our necks stretched to the sky,  beaks open,  waiting for the big eagle to come swooping in a take care of us.

as far as our health care system... i dont think there is a fix,  i dont think socialized medicine would work worth a shit here,  but I will never argue that our current system is the answer either.  I dont think that we will likely see much better localized response plans created for pandemics in the future including all local areas having a designated triage type station away from the normal hospitals and an emergency hospital facility designated to take contagious people so that they dont contaminate the primary facilities.

I respect your opinion, but disagree, 50 different interpretations of a situation.  Having a plan is great, things happen, so many quotes about planing till you get hit, battlefield..., it comes down to leadership and execution.  How about a system coach, plan without leadership.  Childress and the KAO, no half time or season adjustments. Another good example of disparate and independent control would be Ted Bundy and his killing spree.  His next victim was always just out of the information sharing  jurisdiction, in hindsight the pattern was obvious, but in real time no one had a clue.  Sorry it that's obtuse, but there is a cogent point.
About Health care my first grand child was just born in Germany and I would give it a pretty good review.  I have had children born in Orlando, Hendersonville (Nashville) and Knoxville, three completely different experiences and a crapshoot if you had any expectations based on the last experience.   

Quote: @"BigAl99" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

I respect your opinion, but disagree, 50 different interpretations of a situation.  Having a plan is great, things happen, so many quotes about planing till you get hit, battlefield..., it comes down to leadership and execution.  How about a system coach, plan without leadership.  Childress and the KAO, no half time or season adjustments. Another good example of disparate and independent control would be Ted Bundy and his killing spree.  His next victim was always just out of the information sharing  jurisdiction, in hindsight the pattern was obvious, but in real time no one had a clue.  Sorry it that's obtuse, but there is a cogent point.
About Health care my first grand child was just born in Germany and I would give it a pretty good review.  I have had children born in Orlando, Hendersonville (Nashville) and Knoxville, three completely different experiences and a crapshoot if you had any expectations based on the last experience.   
I regards to your first comments,  we live in a different time,  we can exchange information so much easier and better now as well as getting that information out to the boots the ground.  The feds role should be to make sure that information is getting out there, not setting up hospitals and such,  that needs to be done at the local level.  The federal govt has to much red tape to be an effective first response organization.  They are much better equipped to come in much later and help pay for the rebuild/recovery.  And honestly,  the last thing we want is the govt to find a new mission,  they already have to many bloated agencies that dont do much for what they were intended amd originally funded.

I could socialized medicine work in the US,  but it would take a major overhaul of our welfare system and tax codes and I dont see either party signing up for that so thus I dont see it being the answer.  Simply jacking taxes to pay for it would do more harm to our economy than this virus has done.  There needs to be a better balance to its affects on society and taxation to find support here and be effective without bloating.  I am not fundamentally opposed to health care for all,  I am opposed to how it's been suggested to be funded to date.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
reading that report,  it is essentially saying our country was the smartest kid on the short bus.   I think some are seeing that report as a pat on the back of the US for its preparedness,  but at the same time when it says that globally we were very ill prepared I dont think its something to crow about.  especially since I dont know how accurate of a picture can be painted by running scenarios with people who are in on the purpose of the drill.
Real or Fake? you decide...

Hopefully the thread we'll get back on topic, might be to soon for such a discussion.

=================
The shortage of safety gear at one Manhattan hospital is so dire that desperate nurses have resorted to wearing trash bags — and some blame the situation for the coronavirus death of a beloved colleague.
https://nypost.com/2020/03/25/worker-at-...ronavirus/

[Image: 26419688-8154039-image-a-28_1585187059639.jpg]