Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who stood out for the Vikings in preseason game 2?
The offensive line 
Unlike Week 1 of the preseason, the Vikings’ offensive line was very good. They kept Sam Bradford from getting sacked and gave him time to throw down the field on multiple occasions. The Vikings’ run blocking was also solid, opening holes for Dalvin Cook in the first quarter.
Minnesota was missing two starters on the left side and filled in with Rashod Hill at tackle and Nick Easton at guard. Rookie Pat Elflein got the start at center, which might indicate that he’s ahead in the competition for the starting gig in the middle. Elflein, Easton and Rashod Hill stayed in for the entire first half. In the second quarter, Joe Berger and Mike Remmers gave way to Danny Isidora and Willie Beavers took played on the right side. TJ Clemmings did not play, making the likelihood of him getting cut very high.
Sam Bradford 
The Vikings’ quarterback averaged 8.6 Yards Per Attempt by pushing the ball down the field with accuracy.  While his performance was solid overall, Bradford still failed to get his team into the end zone and the Vikings punted on two of three drives.
Dalvin Cook
After rushing for 13 yards on five carries against Buffalo, the Vikings’ second-round running back flashed some explosiveness, picking up a 15-yard run and back-to-back 9-yard carries on the team’s third series of the game. Not only did he break several big plays, it was also notable that Cook took most of the starting reps and Jerick McKinnon came in later in the half. Cook finished with seven runs for 40 yards.
His usage sets up for the third preseason game to be intriguing if Latavius Murray is ready to play. Will Cook still play with the first team? All indicators are that the team is extremely happy with the former Florida State runner’s performance during camp, so all the signs are leaning toward him being RB1 this year.
Stefon Diggs
The Vikings’ top wide receiver has been the most impressive player during training camp thus far. On Friday night, that carried over onto the field in Seattle. Diggs finished with four catches for 65 yards, including a 39-yard reception. Luckily he wasn’t injured after taking a hard hit from Earl Thomas. Diggs is ready to start the season – there’s no more reason to play him.
The secondary
Russell Wilson had no problem throwing the ball all over the Vikings’ secondary, picking up 206 yards and tossing two touchdowns. Without Trae Waynes and Andrew Sendejo in the game, Antone Exum and Terence Newman started. When Newman left the game after getting hurt, Marcus Shreles came in and gave up a touchdown pass.
More here:

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/0...on-game-2/

OL definitely played well...I was expecting to hear Michael Bennett's name called early and often...silence...Said it in another thread, if Thomas doesn't tackle Cook on that second nine yarder, he's gone...Hunter could have had two sacks against just about any other starting QB...I'll go ahead a put the over/under at 14 sacks...3t still an issue, but maybe Johnson gets some reps over there and makes the job his...Lamur is a wasted space...competing for a starting spot he should be flashing vs 2nd and 3rd stringers...I'm seeing next to nothing from him...he seems a beat slow after the snap...

God bless Rashod Hill too...Not sure how much help he's getting over there, but it aint a turnstile.

Our nickel back looked lost at times...ugh! 

Hill and Easton did a damn good job in there. Makes me wish we'd have this starting lineup:
Hill--Easton--Elflein--Berger--Reiff

Count me as one that wants Hill as a valuable backup, but not sure I wish for him to start. 

Quote: @greediron said:
Count me as one that wants Hill as a valuable backup, but not sure I wish for him to start. 

It may be too early, I agree...but...Reiff doesn't overwhelm as a LT and Remmers definitely doesn't as the starting RT either. I'm hoping Hill is going to be the answer long-term.

if the season started today my oline would be reiff, boone, elf, berger, remmers.  backups Hill, easton, beavers, isadora and collins

Quote: @prairieghost said:
Hill and Easton did a damn good job in there. Makes me wish we'd have this starting lineup:
I'd switch Hill and Reiff, but I do agree that Easton could be a better option than Boone.

Makes me wonder what the line will look like, say, 2 or 3 years down the road. Thinking...Reiff - Easton - Elflein - Isadora - Hill. Remmers might be a better run blocking tackle than Hill, but I'd bet Hill is better in pass pro. Either way, it looks like we might be developing a line that could be top half in a year or two. And, of course, we'll probably add a young tackle to this mix somewhere along the line. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@prairieghost said:
I'd switch Hill and Reiff, but I do agree that Easton could be a better option than Boone.

Makes me wonder what the line will look like, say, 2 or 3 years down the road. Thinking...Reiff - Easton - Elflein - Isadora - Hill. Remmers might be a better run blocking tackle than Hill, but I'd bet Hill is better in pass pro. Either way, it looks like we might be developing a line that could be top half in a year or two. And, of course, we'll probably add a young tackle to this mix somewhere along the line. 
Yeah, let's hope within a year or two it is more like:
Mitch Hyatt (currently at Clemson) - Easton - Elflein - Isadora - Reiff

A premiere LT is the component that makes an OL great, and I'm not sure that is Reiff or Hill. As for Remmers, I'm really sad that his contract will still have $5.5M of dead cap next year.