Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leidner is a Viking...
Big shake-up in the QB room?  Nah

The Minnesota Vikings announced Sunday they have signed former Minnesota Gophers quarterback Mitch Leidner and waived linebacker Darnell Sankey.

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/0...b-leidner/

My guess is they want a new developmental #3 QB and that's Leidner if he can at all look like he has upside.  IMO, this says that Heinicke is going to be cut in September, Keenum won the backup job. Teddy is not going to be on the active roster this year. 

This makes complete sense if you are done with Heinicke and you know it right now.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
My guess is they want a new developmental #3 QB and that's Leidner. IMO, this says that Heinicke is going to be cut
I think they're just giving a local kid a shot...Then again, they could have had him on the roster before Seattle game too, so maybe it's connected to Heinicke more than I might have thought. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@StickyBun said:
My guess is they want a new developmental #3 QB and that's Leidner. IMO, this says that Heinicke is going to be cut
I think they're just giving a local kid a shot...Then again, they could have had him on the roster before Seattle game too, so maybe it's connected to Heinicke more than I might have thought. 
I'm not sure why you'd do it otherwise at this point in the preseason. In May? Sure. Now? My guess is the Vikings liked this kid a little bit coming out of college as a developmental guy as they knew he wouldn't get drafted. The timing is the thing, its pretty late in the game to be doing this as a lark, as real football kicks off in 2 1/2 weeks. This is why I think they've decided on Heinicke's fate, because I had a feeling it was 'get the #2 backup spot or be off the team kind of thing'.

As I said before, they're going to need a #3 because it's unlikely they would keep both Keenum and Heinicke. But I wouldn't be so sure that Keenum is #2. This race was supposedly neck and neck until the Bills game where Keenum clearly played better. But Heinicke looked better against the Seahawks. And he's cheaper. It's also possible that the Vikings are crafting a trade of one or the other. A lot of really, REALLY bad QB performances out there this summer. 

Maybe the Vikes dont want any of the 3 to get beat up late in a preseason game?

7 minutes to go in the 4th quarter of preseason game number 3? 13 minutes to go in the 4th of game 4? ... Leidner sounds great!

Did they name his position?  Wink 

We said we needed a CB not a QB.  Smile
Be interesting to see what plays out with the QB's
Whats Guru's thoughts?

Andrew Krammer@Andrew_Krammer11m
Vikings QB Taylor Heinicke not practicing today, shedding some light on Leidner move.

Quote: @Norse said:
Andrew Krammer11m
Vikings QB Taylor Heinicke not practicing today, shedding some light on Leidner move.
Damn