Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Griffen Actively Shopping The Market

[Image: JNIDb9Zf_normal.jpg]
Ben Goessling
@GoesslingStrib
· 5m
Four hours before free agency officially opens, source says Everson Griffen is actively exploring the market.

He should be.  Figure out what other teams are willing to pay you on the market, keep the Vikings informed, and then see what happens.  It will be interesting to see what he gets offered.  The Bears just gave 30 million guaranteed to Robert Quinn (will be 30 years old in May) with a contract that averages 14 million per year.  Everson is 32 right now so who knows what type of guaranteed money he is looking at...  but there are a bunch of guys getting PAID in the legal tampering window.

Would love to know what, if anything, we have on the table for him already. 

I have to think a lot of teams that consider the Vikings rivals or at least competition in the NFC would be reaching out to him just to screw up the Vikings timing.  By them not making a move on Weatherly that signifies that they want Griff back and if I was a GM for one of the other NFC contenders,  I would be reaching out to him with interest just to keep the Vikings from being able to make swift moves to improve their team.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
He should be.  Figure out what other teams are willing to pay you on the market, keep the Vikings informed, and then see what happens.  It will be interesting to see what he gets offered.  The Bears just gave 30 million guaranteed to Robert Quinn (will be 30 years old in May) with a contract that averages 14 million per year.  Everson is 32 right now so who knows what type of guaranteed money he is looking at...  but there are a bunch of guys getting PAID in the legal tampering window.
I agree.  Based on his productivity last year, see what you can get.  But at age 32, buyer-be-ware.  Don't want to see him go but I hope the Vikes don't commit big numbers to a position we can get cheaper at.

Everson Griffen has reportedly changed his position and is exploring the free agency market. Griffen, a defensive end for the Minnesota Vikings who had twice as many sacks as any Seattle Seahawk last season, has been linked to Seattle on multiple occasions. Corbin Smith now reports:

Quote:This report matches up nicely with what I've heard - Griffen may ultimately go back to Minnesota, but he's going to test the market and see what's out there. Seattle makes a ton of sense for numerous reasons and has interest. https://t.co/k1eEYRnVQK
— Corbin Smith (@CorbinSmithNFL) March 18, 2020

Best defensive free agents left on the market at each position, per
@PFF rankings:

EDGE

Jadeveon Clowney
Everson Griffen
Dante Fowler

Pernell McPhee
Jabaal Sheard
Vinny Curry
Adrian Clayborn
Ezekiel Ansah
Kerry Hyder
Jordan Jenkins

I am fine with him leaving. Time to move on.

I like Griffen. He's still an effective player and is good to have around for leadership, but Odenigbo looks like he is ready to step up. If they went with Odenigbo plus a draft pick for depth/insurance, then I would be ok with that, especially if the money saved was used to upgrade at DT. We are seeing a lot of familiar faces go, so I'd like to see smart moves made to reshape the roster.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Best defensive free agents left on the market at each position, per
@PFF rankings:

EDGE

Jadeveon Clowney
Everson Griffen
Dante Fowler

Pernell McPhee
Jabaal Sheard
Vinny Curry
Adrian Clayborn
Ezekiel Ansah
Kerry Hyder
Jordan Jenkins
Fowler is gone to the Falcons...3 years 48 mil.