Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings need to draft offensive linemen
The defense is going to be retooled, but I trust in Zimmer and staff to make it workable and at least decent. But the team needs talent in the pipeline on the offensive line. I don't worry so much about WRer, other than short term, as this Draft is bulging with talent at that position. They'll get some talent there, whether that produces strong production THIS year is probably against the odds a bit. But use some of those higher picks on offensive line talent. They have to. The offense is going to be relied upon more now than in recent memory. 

I know there are other needs (DT, etc.) but this is vital.

I would say our DT needs are just as high and crucial to the respective units success as OL.   not being stout in the middle leads to way to many unfavorable down and distance situations.  2nd and 5 or less is a killer and we were in those situations far far to often last year.  This team needs to get back to winning on first down to make 2nd and 3rd down much more favorable and they cant do that without a strong DT tandem. 

The Vikings have drafted 7 OL in the last 3 years (7 out of 31 picks, more than any position group), including one with one of their top two picks each year.  They've also brought in like five OL by FA or trade (I'm guessing again the most).  What more do you want them to do?  They'll probably draft another three this year and bring in at least one FA, is that going to be enough?

Did I just stumble on a posting from spring 2019? Or 2018? Or 2017, 16, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11??
An OL "pipeline" has been lacking for a decade. But we're going to pick a DT at 22 and a CB at 25 because "we're a defensive team", a WR in the 2nd and in the 3rd they will add an offensive lineman that Spielman is shocked did not get picked in round 1.

I’m with Jimmy. I think DT is the number 1 need on the team. In particular a disruptive penetrating speed guy. One thing this team has missed is that pocket wrecker. You want to make life difficult for Aaron Rogers, get that guy to fill that spot. I don’t care how good a QB is, the penetrating DT is an absolute nightmare, especially if you have speed and length at the end positions.

Give me a first round of Matos at DE and Blacklock at DT.  Trenches need to be rebuilt, I was bummed we didn’t go after Shelton for $4 million a year as a run stopper.  Matos, Blacklock, Hunter, return of Griff playing in and out, Fedi, Watts, Johnson, Holmes, hopefully we can  develop a player or two out of those 4.

Throw in a OG, OT, WR, CB with picks from rounds 2-4

I think we have our OL plus a Tier 3 FA assembled, I just think the lineup needs to shifted a bit

ONeil-Reiff-Bradburry-Klein-Udoh
or
Reiff-Collins-Bradbury-Klein-ONeil

Elf is a back up G/C
Udoh is a back up T
Samia is a back up G
Tier 3 FA (Leary, Boehm, Garcia)

Addressing either line is definitely the starting point. Grabbing a guy like Haeg opens up the draft a bit.

Quote: @silverjoel said:
The Vikings have drafted 7 OL in the last 3 years (7 out of 31 picks, more than any position group), including one with one of their top two picks each year.  They've also brought in like five OL by FA or trade (I'm guessing again the most).  What more do you want them to do?  They'll probably draft another three this year and bring in at least one FA, is that going to be enough?
in fairness... no other position has a greater need than OL in terms of number of players on the field at one time,  as well as the impact they can have (good or bad) on the overall play of the rest of their group.   Obviously DL would be next.   I know the draft is 7 rounds,  but honestly I dont really count on much after the 3rd round,  4th has been good to the team for DEs, but 5th and later is such a crap shoot they are really just guessing at that point IMO.   So we have 3 OL drafted in that last 3 years with one being what appears to be a bust in Elf,  a homerun in ONeill,  and the jury is still out on Bradberry.   Still leaves at least 2 holes which we may have covered with Samia,  but again we cant count on that happening so I think we need to be looking in the first 3 picks to add a OT/OG to compete with Reiff, Samia, and a mid level FA that could plug in at OG like Kline did last year.  

and to answer your question... they should be drafting OL in the first 4 rounds every year,  same with DL and QB IMO until the roster is loaded at those 3 spots.  Use the cap savings at those positions by using guys on lower contracts to open up the purse strings for the skill players.  

Going back 2 off-seasons or even to just last off-season, there needs to be an expectation that it takes time to build an O-line. You can't just plug 5 new guys in and start up the engine. 

But I agree they still need to add talent and I don't have any doubt they will. But you can't become so narrowly focused on the O-line you start ignoring the D-line or Secondary. There is a balance or you end up robbing Peter to pay Paul and you're back to having the same issue at a different position group. 

As of today I think you have O'Neill & Bradbury as long-term cornerstones with the former needing a new deal next off-season. So they'll find some cost control at OT this year I'd imagine, its how the Vikings roll. Guard is up for debate. They valued Bradbury as a premium draft pick but they haven't consistently shown that they want to spend premium assets on guards. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
Going back 2 off-seasons or even to just last off-season, there needs to be an expectation that it takes time to build an O-line. You can't just plug 5 new guys in and start up the engine. 

But I agree they still need to add talent and I don't have any doubt they will. But you can't become so narrowly focused on the O-line you start ignoring the D-line or Secondary. There is a balance or you end up robbing Peter to pay Paul and you're back to having the same issue at a different position group. 

As of today I think you have O'Neill & Bradbury as long-term cornerstones with the former needing a new deal next off-season. So they'll find some cost control at OT this year I'd imagine, its how the Vikings roll. Guard is up for debate. They valued Bradbury as a premium draft pick but they haven't consistently shown that they want to spend premium assets on guards
thats kind of why they are where they are at the last couple years... our interior OL play has been horrible and it starts with the play on either side of the C.