Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signing Bailey Just Got Harder
  • [Image: GreenBay%20Packers.png]
    Packers signed K Mason Crosby to a three-year, $12.9 extension.Crosby will be wrapping up his age-38 season when this extension runs it's course. The veteran kicker had a bounce-back season in 2019 after two-straight iffy years in 2017 and 2018. Over his last three seasons, Crosby has made 84% of his field goals and 96% of his extra points.
    SOURCE: Mike McCartney on TwitterFeb 22, 2020, 5:28 PM ET

Maybe the Puke will extend their punter too.

Vikings finally got good seasons from both their kicker and punter. Sorta figured both were must signs, given our history of impatience with young kickers and punters. But if the money gets crazy the Vikings might have to go to the well again. 

It was like the Packers did that just to fuck with us knowing our cap issues this year.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
Vikings finally got good seasons from both their kicker and punter. Sorta figured both were must signs, given our history of impatience with young kickers and punters. But if the money gets crazy the Vikings might have to go to the well again. 

They need to find a way to keep both guys, but especially Bailey. If he's replaced, every time the new guy misses it will be a knock on Rick in the eyes of many fans. Hell, Bears fans are still mad about Robbie Gould getting away, and they parted ways years ago.
I think the Vikings will find a way to keep both Colquitt and Bailey. I agree with you, it should be a priority.

Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

They need to find a way to keep both guys, but especially Bailey. If he's replaced, every time the new guy misses it will be a knock on Rick in the eyes of many fans. Hell, Bears fans are still mad about Robbie Gould getting away, and they parted ways years ago.
I think the Vikings will find a way to keep both Colquitt and Bailey. I agree with you, it should be a priority.
I think keeping Colquitt is more important than Bailey.  Poor holders have a shitty affect on good kickers.  who knows how things would have turned out for our rookie a couple years ago if he had a competent holder?

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

I think keeping Colquitt is more important than Bailey.  Poor holders have a shitty affect on good kickers.  who knows how things would have turned out for our rookie a couple years ago if he had a competent holder?

I don't disagree. But from a "cover my a$$" perspective for Rick, it's much easier to re-sign Bailey. If he plays bad well, the signing made sense at the time. If he lets Bailey walk and the replacement stinks, fans will raise a big stink. Especially casual ones.

Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

I don't disagree. But from a "cover my a$$" perspective for Rick, it's much easier to re-sign Bailey. If he plays bad well, the signing made sense at the time. If he lets Bailey walk and the replacement stinks, fans will raise a big stink. Especially casual ones.
remember though that 2 years ago with a shitty holder we were ready to move on from Bailey as well... hell last TCamp we were ready to move on from Bailey and thats why they burned that 5th rounder on Vedvik,  until they finally realized that the holder was the issue and fixed that.

https://www.vikings.com/news/numbers-of-note-vikings-2019-special-teams

Here are five other numbers of note regarding the Vikings 2019 special teams:
93.1 – Dan Bailey's 93.1 field goal percentage was the NFL's fourth-best behind Jacksonville's Josh Lambo (97.1), Baltimore's Justin Tucker (96.6) and Pittsburgh's Chris Boswell (93.5). Bailey made 27-of-29 field goal attempts, including going 3-for-3 from 50-plus yards.
11 – Rookie cornerback Kris Boyd led the Vikings in special teams tackles with 11, followed by Ameer Abdullah, Kentrell Brothers and Eric Wilson, who notched seven apiece.
66 – Bailey's 66 touchbacks tied for third-most in the league. According to PFF, Bailey's kickoff grade jumped from 53.3 (30th in the NFL in 2018 to 90.1, which ranked third in the league.
1 – The Vikings blocked one punt in 2019, marking the first time Minnesota did so since 2014. Wilson leapt into action with a big play against Falcons punter Matt Bosher, who has had nine career punts blocked since 2011. Wilson's block was one of 11 across the NFL in 2019.
42.6 – Colquitt averaged 42.6 net yards per punt in 2019 to set a new Vikings single-season record.

The results of replacing  Pfifer with Malouf  
Colquit signed 5 days before game #1, and then sets a single season Viking record. 

Kris Boyd career tracking like Harris...