Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reiff Whither Soon
https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2020...eiff/quote

Just want to send a big FU to Steve Keim again...thanks for fucking us!

That link isn't working...Try this one:

https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2020...ley-reiff/

The question the Vikings will be asking is: Can they improve at the position while spending the same amount or less?
First part first. If they looked for a tackle on the free agent market with around $9 million to spend, they wouldn’t have many options. The top two free agent tackles Anthony Castonzo and Jack Conklin are likely to demand huge dollars and elder statesmen Andrew Whitworth and Jason Peters will be seeking one final big (and likely completely guaranteed) paycheck. Players in the Reiff-savings price range include Tampa Bay’s Damar Dotson (27th by PFF) and Kelvin Beachum (33rd). Both are in their 30s.
Replacing Reiff with a draft pick — even in the first round — is a major risk. Last year the highest ranked rookie tackle rated 41st on PFF’s list. Even the highest ranked pass blocker coming out of college Andre Dillard struggled, giving up 25 pressures in just 183 pass blocking snaps. To put that in context, O’Neill didn’t give up that many in 514 passing downs.
There isn’t much for in-house options that they can trust at the moment — though there was optimism over the development of Oli Udoh this year. And trades for left tackles don’t happen very often — and the price tag, as the Texans found it, is incredibly high.
The Vikings also don’t have much leverage to restructure Reiff’s deal. If they cut him, he would quickly find a new home.
Last year the Vikings kicked around the idea of moving Reiff inside to guard and bumping O’Neill over the left tackle. Back in the day when right tackles were less valued, it might have made sense to take a risk on the right side. But today’s NFL has elite pass rushers coming off both sides and Kirk Cousins — who held the ball longer from snap to throw than any QB in the NFL — needs all the help from the edges that he can get.
That could leave the Vikings with their best option being an extension that keeps Reiff in Minnesota longer and lowers his immediate cap hit.  That money would be best spent finding a replacement at left guard as Pat Elflein gave up the worst rate of pressure of any guard in the NFL last season. It isn’t the boldest move but it might be the wisest unless they are going all-in for one year of Whitworth or Peters and drafting an eventual replacement.

Stupid article. There are 5 Tackle Prospects in the Draft that are rated not just higher but a lot higher than Dillard. Lazy fucking writing to only look at last year's Rookies solely to make a point.

Peters wants to keep playing. The Ealges are ready to commit to his replacement. I don't see a robust market for a 38 year old LT, so to suggest he's looking to 'cash in' one last time is also lazy fucking writing.

Context matters. Last year's Tackle Class wasn't great. This one is. Peters and Whitworth may find very little interest and sign modest deals because they want to keep playing. Whoever wrote this is a hack.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

That could leave the Vikings with their best option being an extension that keeps Reiff in Minnesota longer and lowers his immediate cap hit.  That money would be best spent finding a replacement at left guard as Pat Elflein gave up the worst rate of pressure of any guard in the NFL last season. It isn’t the boldest move but it might be the wisest unless they are going all-in for one year of Whitworth or Peters and drafting an eventual replacement.

Hate to say it, but we may have to eat it on Reiff, but Elf has to go.

Quote: @Ralphie said:
@purplefaithful said:

Hate to say it, but we may have to eat it on Reiff, but Elf has to go.
I think that's probably right. Extend Reiff, lower his cap number and then see what happens in the draft and training camp. Maybe you have a left or right tackle prospect, maybe you have a left guard prospect. Either way, with Reiff, you have someone who can be our LT or move inside to replace Elflein. Maybe Udoh takes over RT and O'Neill moves to the left, with Reiff inside. Maybe Samia just beats out Elf.  No matter what happens, the end result has to be a new LG. 

extend RR, slide ONeil to LT.  Give the keys to either Udoh or Collins for RT

Move ELF to the bench to backup G/C

ONeil-Reiff-Bradburry-Klein-Udoh with Collins, Samia, Elf, Hill on the bench

Use  first 3 draft picks for DT, DE, DB (BPA)

You can't roll into what may be Rick, Mike and Kirk's final season banking on Udoh or Collins at RT, IMO.

Quote: @Skodin said:

I feel like you took a line that was goodish with
known quantities at 4 of the 5 positions, and converted it into a line with
question marks at 3 of the 5 positions.  Assuming
we’re working with what we have and not getting new talent, I’d rather just
throw any of our young guys at LG than shuffle everyone to new positions.

Quote: @medaille said:
@Skodin said:

so we can watch Kirk get pummeled from the blindside?  Reiff is at best solid at LT. Age limits his ability to handle speed.  inside his size and strength should be an asset.  

ONeil is ready to go to LT.  Hes rangy, strong, and improving his hand technique.  Seems strange to have our best OL playing RT

A left side if ONeill-Reiff seems a hell of a lot better than Reiff-Samia or Collins (whom i like a lot) or gulp OSU stud Elf

Quote: @Skodin said:
@medaille said:
@Skodin said:

so we can watch Kirk get pummeled from the blindside?  Reiff is at best solid at LT. Age limits his ability to handle speed.  inside his size and strength should be an asset.  

ONeil is ready to go to LT.  Hes rangy, strong, and improving his hand technique.  Seems strange to have our best OL playing RT

A left side if ONeill-Reiff seems a hell of a lot better than Reiff-Samia or Collins (whom i like a lot) or gulp OSU stud Elf
If you went back 5+ years you always wanted your best OT on the left side to protect your QB's blindside. In today's NFL so many teams try to exploit that by lining guys up on the right side. With O-line play down league-wide one of the biggest competitive advantages is to have book-end edge rushers. Point being, the positional value between LT and RT is decreasing and they're both relatively important. Given the risks of O'Neill potentially regressing I'd probably keep him on the right side.