Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eli Burrow?
Potential top overall NFL draft pick Joe Burrow suggested Monday that the upcoming draft process could have more layers than simply being selected by the Cincinnati Bengals, the team with the top pick.
"I do have leverage," the former LSU quarterback said, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, during a reception in Fort Worth in which he accepted the Davey O'Brien Award, given to the nation's top college quarterback. "[The Bengals] have their process and I have my process. We haven't even gotten to the [NFL] combine yet. There's a lot of things that happen leading up to the draft and a lot of information gathered."
It does not appear Burrow elaborated on those comments.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2872...k-leverage

Listen, I wasn't exactly in love with what Eli did with San Diego, but he wasn't a bad kid and he's not a bad person. The issue with the Bengals is they are a notoriously cheap organization. The ownership is super frugal. Its a small market team. They did have some good teams in the 80s, no doubt, but they last won a playoff game 20 years ago. Its not that they can't win, its just that odds are that they'll have to work a little harder, be a little luckier and draft a little better than the average team to do so. 

If there's reluctance on Burrow's part, I get it. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Listen, I wasn't exactly in love with what Eli did with San Diego, but he wasn't a bad kid and he's not a bad person. The issue with the Bengals is they are a notoriously cheap organization. The ownership is super frugal. Its a small market team. They did have some good teams in the 80s, no doubt, but they last won a playoff game 20 years ago. Its not that they can't win, its just that odds are that they'll have to work a little harder, be a little luckier and draft a little better than the average team to do so. 

The organization clinging to Marvin Lewis all these years did them no favors.  They had a bad actor in Burfict that was tolerated longer than it should, too.  Hopefully there has been a shift in their "culture".
But with Pitt in decline and the Browns being...well, the Browns...it could be a great spot for a re-energized franchise.

Quote: @"Ralphie" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

The organization clinging to Marvin Lewis all these years did them no favors.  They had a bad actor in Burfict that was tolerated longer than it should, too.  Hopefully there has been a shift in their "culture".
But with Pitt in decline and the Browns being...well, the Browns...it could be a great spot for a re-energized franchise.
except that the decline of the Steelers is coinciding with the re-emergence of the Ravens.  The Browns and Bengals will still be fighting an uphill battle in that division.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Ralphie" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

except that the decline of the Steelers is coinciding with the re-emergence of the Ravens.  The Browns and Bengals will still be fighting an uphill battle in that division.

Definitely.  But Burrow could do a heck of a lot worse organization-wise.

I'm sure there's some logic around Burrow's comments lately but my question is at what point do
@Bengals fans get pissed off that he won't say "I want to be a Bengal and the #1 pick"?
[Image: ERFk8UtWAAEZmiu?format=jpg&name=small]

The kid is from Ohio, too. lol. 

Joe Burrow on the speculation that he did not want to play in Cincinnati: “You guys (in the media) kind of took that narrative and ran with it. There has never been anything like that from my end.”

How refreshing to see a player shoot down media speculation.

It will be interesting to see if Burrow ends up in Cincy or not and if he actually plays for them.