Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Oscars draw smallest TV audience ever
Oscars draw smallest audience ever
[Image: 0?e=1586995200&v=beta&t=UiYGa-Gn42pwsqcz...ms1pfa_lKs]By Chris C. Anderson, Editor at LinkedInUpdated 8 hours ago"The Academy Awards broke another record on Sunday besides awarding the first-ever Best Picture Oscar to a non-English language film: drawing the smallest TV audience in the history of the show. ABC’s broadcast of the 92nd Academy Awards attracted 23.6 million viewers, the least since Nielsen began tracking the numbers in 1974. While widely criticized for failing to produce any nominations of female directors, the Oscars did manage some diversity when bestowing its highest award on the South Korean film, “Parasite.” Best actress went to Renee Zellweger for "Judy;" Joaquin Phoenix took best actor for "Joker."
I'm not surprised: there's more to take in and watch now with the streaming apps like Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon Prime: all this great original programming. Same with HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc.  I personally still like going to the movie theater, but I can't remember the last time a movie came out that I was super excited about. People are also captivated by reality TV shows like The Voice, America's Got Talent, etc. Also, millennials aren't watching the Oscars, lol. Throw in that most of the traditional (network) TV watchers left today are definitely more conservative and Hollyweird continues to slant more extremely liberal and have these ridiculously 'out-there' acceptance speeches and you get historical low ratings. But having said that, box office sales were very good last year in 2019. People just aren't watching TV in the way they used to. Its so easy to record things you want to watch when you want to watch them.

Music (original score)Joker
Little Women
Marriage Story
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

The score to 1917 was so sublime, Thomas Newman ignored again by the Academy.  What a shame...
Honestly, one of the greatest film score composers....Thomas Newman....denied again.

1995Best Original ScoreThe Shawshank RedemptionNominated[2]
Little WomenNominated
1996Best Original Musical or Comedy ScoreUnstrung HeroesNominated
2000Best Original ScoreAmerican BeautyNominated
2003Road to PerditionNominated
2004Finding NemoNominated
2005Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate EventsNominated
2007The Good GermanNominated
2009WALL-ENominated
Best Original Song'Down to Earth' from WALL-ENominated
2013Best Original ScoreSkyfallNominated
2014Saving Mr BanksNominated
2016Bridge of SpiesNominated
2017PassengersNominated
20201917Nominated

By height?

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
Music (original score)Joker
Little Women
Marriage Story
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

The score to 1917 was so sublime, Thomas Newman ignored again by the Academy.  What a shame...
Honestly, one of the greatest film score composers....Thomas Newman....denied again.

1995Best Original ScoreThe Shawshank RedemptionNominated[2]
Little WomenNominated
1996Best Original Musical or Comedy ScoreUnstrung HeroesNominated
2000Best Original ScoreAmerican BeautyNominated
2003Road to PerditionNominated
2004Finding NemoNominated
2005Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate EventsNominated
2007The Good GermanNominated
2009WALL-ENominated
Best Original Song'Down to Earth' from WALL-ENominated
2013Best Original ScoreSkyfallNominated
2014Saving Mr BanksNominated
2016Bridge of SpiesNominated
2017PassengersNominated
20201917Nominated
I like Thomas Newman a lot. The score for 1917 was gorgeous. A few other favorites over the years that I think are in that same vein were Glory by James Horner and The Assassination of Jesse James by Nick Cave. Neither were even nominated. John Williams' JFK and Schindler's List are right up there, too. Williams actually won the Oscar for Schindler.

These film composers are just amazing. James Newton Howard, Hans Zimmer.

You take the music out of these movies and you lose ALL emotion.

Really hoping Thomas Newman would FINALLY be recognized for his film score brilliance.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Oscars draw smallest audience ever

Yeah.  It's puzzling...

[Image: 7fc6a14cd4d395ccb4c1a5bdce11756fadf560ab.jpg?mw=600]

Less then the last 20 I've skipped?

I get it people like movies and talking Hollywood stuff.
I like movies but the ones I like rarely make their grade.
It doesn't make me like or hate a movie based on their ranking.

I don't mean to dump on people's Oscar talk. I just never understood or enjoyed the whole pomp and ceremony of it.
Sorry, guess maybe I should have stayed out of this then.

I usually watch the Oscars every year and have to admit this year's telecast was pretty disappointing.  Just something about the whole production was off.

It seems like all award show viewership numbers have been declining for a few years, which is a bummer for them I guess, but what I don't understand is how they were so popular to begin with?
Sure they can be fun shows, but since when has an award show ever been "must-see"? There's all this reminiscing about how great The Oscars (or Grammys, or Emmys, or...)  used to be, but what exactly about Billy Crystal was so life-changing versus what we have today?
My guess is the show is just as good as it's always been, but now there's more choices and everyone's a critic.
Anyways, I thought the show was fine. Eminem was cool and Brad Pitt seems like a pretty normal guy, considering who he is.

TV is dying overall generally so it makes sense. The music from Joker and 2017 are both amazing.