Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Kirk Douglas dead at age 103
Well, crap, here we go again.  :/   In addition to his acting, he also broke the Hollywood blacklist when he as the producer as well as star put Dalton Trumbo's name in the credits as the writer of Spartacus.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/kir...03-n701246

He was 103, led a great life. Nothing to mourn here, only celebrate.

Only fitting for a star of his magnitude is a true Viking funeral.  From one of my all time favorite movies...

Rest in Peace, Einar!

I am Spartacus. 

The reason I became a Viking fan as a kid is because my favorite childhood film was The Vikings starring Kirk Douglas film.  RIP Einar.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I am Spartacus. 
NO, I'M Spartacus

RIP Einar.  Always loved him, especially when I was a kid.  He was larger than life.

"Stuntmen had practiced for weeks for the oar walking scenes. Kirk Douglas told director Richard Fleischer that he could do it and did several times. At one point when he did fall in the icy water he calmly swam over to the camera boat and asked if they had gotten good shots. He then swam back to the Viking longboat. Fleischer noted they were watching and filming an activity that had not been done in 1000 years.
Kirk Douglas produced the film to fulfill his childhood dream of playing a Viking. "

Not bad for a 40 year old guy!