Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rebuilding The OL With The Current Roster
https://thevikingage.com/2020/02/01/how-...-roster/or

Would love to see Oli make the leap...I'm much more doubtful about Samia making the jump seeing as he couldn't send the Dark Elf ™ to the bench last year...

This might work and, rankly, Samia really needs to hit and evolve into a decent starter (ala Kline(.
The Vikings cannot miss, yet again, on another 4th round offensive line pick.
Clemmings and Beavers were both bad picks as it turned out.
Granted, you are not going to hit on all your 4th round picks and the odds are you likely hit on just a few.
But this team is not doing a very good job with selecting mid round or later offensive linemen.
There has only been a couple.

I'ts quite possible the team thinks the line will be better next year as is. 
Bradbury needs to get stronger as most of the scouting reports noted. 
Elflein played fairly well at left guard.  His pass protection needs work but he is above average as run blocker. 
Considering he had not played left guard since 2014, he did a yeoman's job.  IMHO.
Reiff is chugging along his usual right in the middle tackle rankings.
O'Neill is obviously the best of the bunch.
Kline is what he is and that is just OK.

With Collins, Samia, and Udoh all developing last year, the team really does not have to add anyone.
They should but they do not have to.

I would not force a 1st round pick of an offensive tackle if they keep Reiff.
I would look for another mid round guard and tackle.
Like a Ben Bartch, Alex Taylor, Matt Peart, or one of my favorites, Calvin Throckmorton who is super versatile.

A few other linemen that do not get a whole lot of love but were solid are ...
Sean Pollard, Colton McKivitz, Scott Franz, Simon Stepaniak, John Molchon, John Runyan, Tommy Kraemer, and Gabe Cervenka.

If they come out of the draft with Bartch and Stepaniak they may not be doing bad at all.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
https://thevikingage.com/2020/02/01/how-...-roster/or

Would love to see Oli make the leap...I'm much more doubtful about Samia making the jump seeing as he couldn't send the Dark Elf ™ to the bench last year...
I'm not getting the right link here.

But I will say I've been thinking that we may want to prepare ourselves for not adding anything to the line. I'm pretty positive we'll add something...but Rick, Mike and Gary might look at the following and decide that resources could be better spent elsewhere. Everyone can put down your firearms, I'm just saying it's possible... 

LT - O'Neill (upgrade over Reiff? Probably)
LG - Reiff (upgrade over Elf? Almost certainly)
C- Bradbury (year 2 Brad upgrade over year 1 Brad? Definitely)
RG - Kline (same)
RT - Udoh (downgrade but high upside)

Depth is Collins, Elflein, Samia. It's not terrible. Now, you add just one free agent or a draft pick from the first three rounds and this looks even better. 

The other link was about Mariota.

Quote: @"MarkSP18" said:
This might work and, rankly, Samia really needs to hit and evolve into a decent starter (ala Kline(.
Granted, you are not going to hit on all your 4th round picks and the odds are you likely hit on just a few.
But this team is not doing a very good job with selecting mid round or later offensive linemen.

Elflein played fairly well at left guard.  His pass protection needs work but he is above average as run blocker. 
Considering he had not played left guard since 2014, he did a yeoman's job.  IMHO.

With Collins, Samia, and Udoh all developing last year, the team really does not have to add anyone.

Like a Ben Bartch, Alex Taylor, Matt Peart, or one of my favorites, Calvin Throckmorton who is super versatile.

Sean Pollard, Colton McKivitz, Scott Franz, Simon Stepaniak, John Molchon, John Runyan, Tommy Kraemer, and Gabe Cervenka.

If they come out of the draft with Bartch and Stepaniak they may not be doing bad at all.
I don't share your views that "Elflein played fairly well". He was the weakest link on the OLine and teams deliberately attacked us up the middle to blow up both the run and pass which is why we rarely ran between the tackles. Elf is average out in space, but the rest of his game is too much of a liability to keep him in a starting role. He is not strong enough at the point of attack to hold up against the Front 7's we face within our division let alone the rest of the NFC. If you can't get Reiff to agree to a restructure/pay cut and move him inside to Left Guard, we will need two new starters on the line to see any improvement and at least one will need to come from the draft which would likely need to be either our 1st or 2nd rounder based on what's available when we pick.  

Quote: @"TBro" said:
@"MarkSP18" said:

I don't share your views that "Elflein played fairly well". He was the weakest link on the OLine and teams deliberately attacked us up the middle to blow up both the run and pass which is why we rarely ran between the tackles. Elf is average out in space, but the rest of his game is too much of a liability to keep him in a starting role. He is not strong enough at the point of attack to hold up against the Front 7's we face within our division let alone the rest of the NFC. If you can't get Reiff to agree to a restructure/pay cut and move him inside to Left Guard, we will need two new starters on the line to see any improvement and at least one will need to come from the draft which would likely need to be either our 1st or 2nd rounder based on what's available when we pick.  
We shall disagree about Elf.  He was good at run blocking and many runs went to the left side.  You do not have the 7th leading rusher (who missed 2 games) and not have the entire line play a role.

It was his first year playing left guard since 2014 and it showed.  He may or may not get better at pass blocking and should compete for his position next year for sure.

Reiff has not played left guard since 2009 in his redshirt freshman season.  It is a horrible idea to move him inside.

The Mike Remmers experiment has apparently not proven anything.

Quote: @"MarkSP18" said:
@"TBro" said:
@"MarkSP18" said:

We shall disagree about Elf.  He was good at run blocking and many runs went to the left side.  You do not have the 7th leading rusher (who missed 2 games) and not have the entire line play a role.

It was his first year playing left guard since 2014 and it showed.  He may or may not get better at pass blocking and should compete for his position next year for sure.

Reiff has not played left guard since 2009 in his redshirt freshman season.  It is a horrible idea to move him inside.

The Mike Remmers experiment has apparently not proven anything.
I'd also fall into the group that thought Elflein was an absolute disaster in 2019. Even if you're an average run blocker you need to hold up in pass protection to some degree. O-line is a little subjective because its not about how often you miss a block, its about how quickly the pass rush impacts the QB through your lanes. Elflein had a tough time preventing immediate pressure for long periods of time and that simply isn't acceptable. 

elf was a hot mess in a burning dumpster at LG this year.   He was horribly inconsistent in pass pro and provided almost no push in runs between the tackles,   there are times when you cant zone run, and you just need to man up and move the guy across from you and Elf was unable to do that more often than not.   I would like to think it was due to him getting moved to a new position in once again a new scheme after his injuries from a couple years ago,  but I am not willing to bank on him at LG for 2020 and waste another year waiting for him to find a groove.

with elf is it strength or technique that has turned him into a blocking sled  being walked right back into KC's face.  It really eliminated the step up int the pocket for KC a lot of times.