Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Chargers Have Moved On From Rivers
Fox Sports' Jay Glazer reports the Chargers have "moved on from Philip Rivers."The news isn't exactly shocking, as there's been buzz from numerous reporters about Rivers taking his talents elsewhere in 2020. The father of nine also recently moved to Florida, which matches rumors of a potential landing spot in Tampa Bay. It remains to be seen how many franchises will be lining up to land the 38-year-old QB, as Rivers turned the ball over on far too many occasions in 2019 and doesn't seem to have the same arm talent these days to consistently threaten opposing defenses down the field.

Interesting that 16 years after the Eli Manning / Rivers draft scandal that both end up staying with the same teams and leaving those teams the same week. 

Sounds like Rivers wants to keep playing. But what I'm curious to find out is what the Saints do with Brees (and Teddy). Like Rivers, Brees has declined, but not quite to the level of Rivers. Brees is also three years older, a precarious age where cliffs can really sneak up on you...

Rivers looks pretty much done at this point, arm strength going down fast. 
 I think Brees will come back for one more, all-in (again) season for the Saints.  As much as I would love for him to retire, he is still playing at a high enough level for one more year. Would be great if he retires tho!  Will be interesting to see what happens with Teddy and Hill (RFA) as well.

Maybe Tampa has kinda got used interceptions and has devised a strategy to make it work for them.  Keep Winston back up with Rivers never miss a beat. Wink   

Quote: @"Magnus10" said:
Rivers looks pretty much done at this point, arm strength going down fast. 
 I think Brees will come back for one more, all-in (again) season for the Saints.  As much as I would love for him to retire, he is still playing at a high enough level for one more year. Would be great if he retires tho!  Will be interesting to see what happens with Teddy and Hill (RFA) as well.
My hope is that they let Bridgewater find work elsewhere, he has
success there, Brees falls off a cliff in 2020 and they have no real successor.

Speak of the devil...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/27/the-saints-are-in-a-delicate-spot-with-drew-brees/

The Saints are in a delicate spot with Drew Brees
Posted by Mike Florio on January 27, 2020, 5:38 PM EST
Yes, the Saints want to keep Taysom Hill. They also want to do right by Drew Brees. And they’d presumably like to keep Teddy Bridgewater around.
It won’t be easy to accomplish all three.
Caught in the gears of the Brees-Hill question is Bridgewater. If Brees won’t be back, the Saints presumably would like to keep Bridgewater on the roster. It’s hard to think they could keep all three — and there’s every reason to believe Bridgewater’s 5-0 record as a starter in 2019 and his reputation for being a great teammate and locker-room presence will get his name on the wish lists of teams looking for quarterbacks in 2020.
Brees has said he’ll make a decision in roughly a month. There’s a good chance that, the moment the Saints unveil their proposed offer for 2020, he’ll instantly know what he should do.

I dont get the fuss about Taysom Hill (thats why I am an not a coach Smile). The way he plays, he cant be an every down QB. Gimmick plays only work for so long. This really should be a Brees Vs Teddy question.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Fox Sports' Jay Glazer reports the Chargers have "moved on from Philip Rivers."The news isn't exactly shocking, as there's been buzz from numerous reporters about Rivers taking his talents elsewhere in 2020. The father of nine also recently moved to Florida, which matches rumors of a potential landing spot in Tampa Bay. It remains to be seen how many franchises will be lining up to land the 38-year-old QB, as Rivers turned the ball over on far too many occasions in 2019 and doesn't seem to have the same arm talent these days to consistently threaten opposing defenses down the field.

I found this interesting: "Rivers was born in Decatur, Alabama, where his father, Steve, was the head coach of Decatur High's football team and his mother, Joan, was a teacher.[2]Rivers went to Decatur then moved to Athens. As part of a fifth-grade project, he had to make a poster about his dreams and aspirations. On the poster, he pasted his face over that of a Minnesota Vikings player who had appeared on a cover of Sports Illustrated.[3]
So, who do you think the Viking was?? He was born December 8, 1981 - so what year would have been in 5th grade? He was probably around 10-11 years old. So, that being said - that would put the cover in the 1991 / 92 year. But we had no Viking on a cover in those years, so it was a slightly older cover - and I think its either the Hershal Walker cover from October 22, 1989 ( https://www.si.com/vault/issue/702303/toc) OR Anthony Carter from the January 18, 1988 cover (after beating the Niners in the playoffs - https://www.si.com/vault/issue/702677/toc ). We had no Viking on a cover in the 80's other than those two. 
BTW - I highly recommend going to https://www.si.com/vault/archive/1980s and checking out the old covers - you can go year by year and choose different decades. Each cover brings back a ton of memories - lots of "Oh yeah, totally forgot about that game / player /event etc." A virtual walk down Sports Memory Lane.

Quote: @"mblack" said:
I dont get the fuss about Taysom Hill (thats why I am an not a coach Smile). The way he plays, he cant be an every down QB. Gimmick plays only work for so long. This really should be a Brees Vs Teddy question.
There are many who agree with you, for example...

https://twitter.com/CDonnick3/status/122...02688?s=20

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"mblack" said:
There are many who agree with you, for example...

https://twitter.com/CDonnick3/status/122...02688?s=20

My guess is the Saints are using Hill as leverage. They can put a first round tender on him and would likely jump for joy if another team took him.
Talking him up in the media might also help them a little in negotiations with Brees, Teddy.
I would be 100% shocked if they really view Hill as the future.