Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Super Bowl line
So I just lost a dollar to my son. Without knowing the line, I told him the 49ers would be big favorites over the Chiefs. He ignorantly disagreed. But then he's 12. Little bastard. Checked Vegas and sure enough the early line has the Chiefs by 1.5. Is that a joke? Does anyone really think the Chiefs should be favored over the 49ers? What am I missing here? 

We now have a $5 bet on the winner. Which I will win. 

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=790b7611f2a4dfdeec7d1ac5b8...=giphy.gif]

I can see Mahomes and Hill getting being that defense early and often. The 49ers rely on getting to the QB in a hurry; Mahomes can get out of pressure and his natural tendency is to chuck it long to open space. The 49ers generally don't seem to have to focus on deep coverage because they get to the QB and make him check down. 

I think whether or not the 49ers can keep up with KC is a fair question; will they control the ball/tempo or can they keep up with KC if they need to?

I heard yesterday that PM has never lost a game in his NFL career by more than 7.  Not sure if true ... but if so - thats impressive.  

I'm not surprised to see it at 1.5 

Good D and Shanahan vs Mahomes, Reid and an offensive compliment that the cap won't allow to stay together after the kid is extended.  

I am looking forward to this SB as much as any one I can remember for a long while. Good to see new teams playing. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

Good D and Shanahan vs Mahomes, Reid and an offensive compliment that the cap won't allow to stay together after the kid is extended.  

I am looking forward to this SB as much as any one I can remember for a long while. Good to see new teams playing. 
Yeah, I have to agree. I might actually watch this one. But I still don't think there's any way in hell KC should be favored. I personally don't think that team is even on the same level as the 49ers. But who knows. I've been wrong once or twice before. :-)

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

Yeah, I have to agree. I might actually watch this one. But I still don't think there's any way in hell KC should be favored. I personally don't think that team is even on the same level as the 49ers. But who knows. I've been wrong once or twice before. :-)
They are polar opposites...  you have one team that loves to run the ball and use motion to confuse a defense...  and they are damn good at it.  The other team loves to spread you out and kill you with speed both horizontally and vertically...  and they are damn good at it. 

I think it is going to be a really good game.  I would probably give the 49ers the slight edge, but I absolutely think that Mahomes and all his weapons can give that SF defense a hard time.  The best part about it is that we have some new teams instead of the Patriots and whoever comes out of the NFC.

I'll definitely be watching this one, I like Mahomes a lot so I'll be "rooting" for the Chiefs.

I think KC is favored because their run D hasn't allowed a 100 yard rusher in the past 6 games. Most RBs haven't even cleared 50 yds. And KC just shut down Derrick Henry in the 2nd half.
So if KC's defense can slow down the Niners run game, people don't trust Jimmy G/Shanny to keep up with Mahomes/Reid.
I tend to agree. I think KC wins. But like OP, I've been wrong before as well. Smile

Um, did you all miss Kansas City scoring on 13 of their last 17 drives in the Playoffs? 12 of those were TDs. Their much maligned Defense shut down Henry, who was on a record pace his previous 4 games. And that was with limited snaps from Chris Jones. And their biggest Achilles Heel, Andy Reid, just made an in-game adjustment during a postseason game for maybe the first time ever and started really running the ball in the 2nd Half.

Look, the narrative is always the same. You beat the Chiefs by running the ball, chewing up the clock and keeping Mahomes on the sideline. Well, you'd better do it for more than 1 or 2 Quarters, cuz Houston and Tennessee executed their plans as well as they could ask for early but couldn't keep it up the entire game.

Kansas City has scored in as few as 3 plays. They've scored on long, clock-eating drives. And they've scored often. 

What happens once the Chiefs go up 10? Shanahan will quit running and start throwing. Has Garappolo even thrown 20 passes this postseason? If he has half of them were either near INTs or wobblers. I wouldn't bet a wooden nickel on him handling the spotlight. 

This game is simple. If the 9ers can get to Mahomes fast and make him turn it over or throw it away it will be a fun game for a half or 3 Quarters. If not this will be over by halftime. 

Quote: @FSUVike said:
Um, did you all miss Kansas City scoring on 13 of their last 17 drives in the Playoffs? 12 of those were TDs. Their much maligned Defense shut down Henry, who was on a record pace his previous 4 games. And that was with limited snaps from Chris Jones. And their biggest Achilles Heel, Andy Reid, just made an in-game adjustment during a postseason game for maybe the first time ever and started really running the ball in the 2nd Half.

Look, the narrative is always the same. You beat the Chiefs by running the ball, chewing up the clock and keeping Mahomes on the sideline. Well, you'd better do it for more than 1 or 2 Quarters, cuz Houston and Tennessee executed their plans as well as they could ask for early but couldn't keep it up the entire game.

Kansas City has scored in as few as 3 plays. They've scored on long, clock-eating drives. And they've scored often. 

What happens once the Chiefs go up 10? Shanahan will quit running and start throwing. Has Garappolo even thrown 20 passes this postseason? If he has half of them were either near INTs or wobblers. I wouldn't bet a wooden nickel on him handling the spotlight. 

This game is simple. If the 9ers can get to Mahomes fast and make him turn it over or throw it away it will be a fun game for a half or 3 Quarters. If not this will be over by halftime. 
So you're saying that the Chiefs are good? No argument. Their QB is better, that's for sure. I just don't think they're as complete a team as the 49ers. But I'm not trying to convince you of that. Pick whoever you want. I say 49ers by 10 or more.