Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey, Weren't You The Next Big Thing
[Image: NFL%20178x142%20DarkGrey.png]JOHN DEFILIPPOC, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT[Image: 10342.jpg]
Jaguars fired OC John DeFilippo.The Jaguars tried to soften it by calling DeFilippo's sudden departure a "mutual" parting of ways, though we know what it really was. DeFilippo's ouster comes as a relative surprise after he coaxed a surprisingly productive season out of unheralded sixth-round rookie Gardner Minshew. This continues DeFilippo's ongoing fall from grace as the 41-year-old has quickly gone from an up-and-comer with head-coaching aspirations to a maligned journeyman headed for his sixth team in seven seasons. DeFilippo's firing can be at least partially attributed to job preservation on the part of Doug Marrone, who is well aware that another failure in 2020 would assuredly spell the end of his Jaguars tenure.
RELATED: 

The more time passes the less sense it makes why the Vikings hired him.

It happens with draft picks and unrestricted free agents, I get it. But something was off. 

Quote: @"Mattyman" said:

It happens with draft picks and unrestricted free agents, I get it. But something was off. 
Called it when it happened. It was a bad hire for us.

Quote: @"mblack" said:
@"Mattyman" said:

Only thing I can think of is that he was on Phili Offensive staff, and maybe Zimmer thought he could bring that magic here. Wrong.

Quote: @"NorthernCalVike" said:
@"mblack" said:
@"Mattyman" said:

Only thing I can think of is that he was on Phili Offensive staff, and maybe Zimmer thought he could bring that magic here. Wrong.

Like many teams, we fell for the "young, bright, up-and-coming"  schtick attributed to these coordinators.  Plus the fact Philly kicked our ass in the NFC Championship game.

I have always felt that Flip was the reason why we signed Cousins instead of keeping Teddy and/or Keenum.  Since he was in the same division he was familiar with him and I think it may have been part of the negotiations with him since he had several teams who wanted him that year.  

Hot sexy coordinators!!  Who can resist 'em??

Probably wouldn't listen how Marone wanted the offense run either.

Quote: @"JR44" said:
I have always felt that Flip was the reason why we signed Cousins instead of keeping Teddy and/or Keenum.  Since he was in the same division he was familiar with him and I think it may have been part of the negotiations with him since he had several teams who wanted him that year.  
As strange as it sounds, I really believe that. Cos he has so much say on the "right" QB we needed

There's no way in hell Rick & Mike let an OC who hadn't even called a single play for the organization pick who the QB was going to be. That's frankly a laughable notion.

Kirk Cousins was signed because he was by far the best available option. Superbowl-winning retired HOF GM Bill Polian called it a once in a generation situation where a QB like Cousins hits Free Agency. Keenum is a journeyman. Teddy has yet to show he can hit his potential. Kirk was available because Snyder is widely regarded as one of the worst Owners in all of sports. DeFloppo had zero to do with bringing Kirk to KC.