Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zimmer Presser: Talks OC, DC and hints at change
“I think it’s important not just for Kirk but the entire offense to have the same system, the same calls so when they come in here on Day 1 it’s not completely foreign to them.” - Coach Zimmer

** cough **

Klint Kubiak returns to the Vikings in 2019 as the club’s QBs coach after previously working 2 seasons as Minnesota’s Quality Control/Assistant Wide Receivers coach from 2013-14. Kubiak spent the last 3 seasons as the Offensive Assistant/QBs coach for the Denver Broncos. A 9-year coaching veteran, Kubiak has worked 5 seasons in the NFL and 4 in the college ranks following his playing career at Colorado State Uni@vikings04

[Image: uvtwnucwy6xouhv4mgwo]

Buckle up, changes are coming with some vets, methinks:

Mike Zimmer just finished his season-ending news conference. Didn’t address what the Vikings will do with either coordinator spot, but hinted at some roster changes this offseason. Perhaps the most telling quote, “At the end of the day, it’s a young man’s game.”

Did these guys not get along or something?

Mike Zimmer didn't have much to say on the pending departure of George Edwards as DC. He called it "a situation where it was probably best."

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:

Mike Zimmer just finished his season-ending news conference. Didn’t address what the Vikings will do with either coordinator spot, but hinted at some roster changes this offseason. Perhaps the most telling quote, “At the end of the day, it’s a young man’s game.”
Maybe even for coaches.....

Quote: @"kmillard" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

JMO, but I think the Kubiaks set this all up just for this eventuality. Gary knew that if the Vikings did at least well, Stefanksi was going to probably go somewhere as HC. And there's his son, a young guy at 32 with a ton of knowledge, ready to go. 

Zimmer paid his dues.  For better or worse its his rodeo, everyone else is just a cowboy. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"kmillard" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

JMO, but I think the Kubiaks set this all up just for this eventuality. Gary knew that if the Vikings did at least well, Stefanksi was going to probably go somewhere as HC. And there's his son, a young guy at 32 with a ton of knowledge, ready to go. 

I think Zimmer did that, not the Kubiaks...

All this continues to throw more doubt about Zimmer's ability to be the HC (i.e. CEO) of the team.  He may have been a good DC (back before offenses got creative)- and he might still be a good DC, now.  But our defense is not good enough to win games by themselves, no matter how many high round draft picks we throw at it.  As has been said before: if he was REALLY that great, he could thrive with lesser talent on defense... and enable the high round draft picks to go to the offensive side of the ball.  Other coaches seem to do more (on defense) with less... just like the 49ers did more on offense with less talent (at the skill positions) than what we have.  Of course, it helps that they have devoted resources to the trenches.

Y0u can't have defenses win most games by themselves anymore, the rules have changed too much. Hell, look at this past weekend.  

I think there are two main forces at play here, neither new:

1). The D personnel on this team peaked 2-3 seasons ago.  
2). The scheme was tweaked nicely here and there (i.e. saints) but overall feels like the league has it figured out.  They aint at their best when the stakes are highest. 

Its time for changes to 1 and 2.

I'm sure its coming. Question is will Zimmer turn over much of the D to a new DC or will it be the same kinda Zimm show?

I think there are going to be some decent-sized changes this off-season.