Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do we have more than one elephant in the room?
I was not impressed with the play-calling yesterday or vs Saints...

Or GB
Or KC

I guess when you make it into the final 4 of the NFC, you need to take a little perspective....and I say this being just as critical as any fan within the bounds of moderate thinking. JMO, but your play calling works when your areas of foundation, like the O-line and D-line, perform at least decently. Otherwise, you can't execute your play-calling very consistently. When a team dominates at the line, you are extremely limited in how you can respond and even IF you can respond. The Vikings were tired, that played a role. Cousins seemed reluctant to pull the trigger a few times, which we've seen happen. Zero run game hurt offensive game calling. Injuries to the secondary hurt.

It was a disappointing game to watch, but I'm not ready to shit on everything (and I'm not saying you are doing that, PF). I think tweaks need to be made and upgrades implemented wherever possible and practical in one off-season. Again, only so much can be done between now and next September but I don't think a ton HAS to be done, either. 

I find myself optimistic after this loss and the season in total.

Or at Chicago... If you see nothing is working like all above mentioned games, you need to be able to adjust on the fly. We do not.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
I guess when you make it into the final 4 of the NFC, you need to take a little perspective....and I say this being just as critical as any fan within the bounds of moderate thinking. JMO, but your play calling works when your areas of foundation, like the O-line and D-line, perform at least decently. Otherwise, you can't execute your play-calling very consistently. When a team dominates at the line, you are extremely limited in how you can respond and even IF you can respond. The Vikings were tired, that played a role. Cousins seemed reluctant to pull the trigger a few times, which we've seen happen. Zero run game hurt offensive game calling. Injuries to the secondary hurt.

It was a disappointing game to watch, but I'm not ready to shit on everything (and I'm not saying you are doing that, PF). I think tweaks need to be made and upgrades implemented wherever possible and practical in one off-season. Again, only so much can be done between now and next September but I don't think a ton HAS to be done, either. 

I find myself optimistic after this loss and the season in total.
Thats good to hear from others, cause I am as well, truly am optimistic..

I was over this loss a few hours after game end. 

Divisional round with that OL is impressive - and with the limitations they had on D? With the injuries that literally came-up end of season? A mad scramble in Eagan, plenty of long nights I'm sure. 

Just would have liked to have seen more creativity by KS and the offense against some of those teams where we are outclassed in the trenches. SF and GB come to mind. It's actually pretty clear what the Vikings need to do to move-up to those top 3 slots in an NFC that's strong, but nobody unbeatable. 

How about a hurry up offense so they can’t sub in?

How about boot leg to the left to slow the DE down?

How about any change?  Something. 

Tired is a tired excuse.  We would have been beaten if we had two weeks rest and they had one.  

We need a mini rebuild.  EG, XR, LJ - clear up space.  We need a few receivers, DBs, OL, and DL.  

Speed and youth.  

I think the question is whether I am optimistic that this team is moving towards winning a Super Bowl -- winning three games in a row against very good teams.  Putting aside coaching, you have a team that has the worse cap situation and a lot of players who are either descending (Rhodes, Joseph) or have reached the top of the hill and will be descending soon (Griffen, Reiff).  You could argue that the combination of the salary cap situation and the age of key players that the window for this core has closed.

One of the things that strikes me from yesterday was the discussion about how the 9ers used their draft capital on the trenches.  The Vikes have used their draft capital on dbacks.  That differently philosophy showed up yesterday.  Frankly, the best DB picked up during the Zimmer reign has been an undrafted free agent -- which I am still digesting as to what that means for the Zimmer/Speilman draft approach.  I trust Patterson in helping pick Dlineman and developing them but I think you really have to question Zimmer's ability to help in draft assessment of cornerbacks.  I will be upset if the Vikes pick a DB in the first round this year.

It will be an interesting offseason.

Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:
I think the question is whether I am optimistic that this team is moving towards winning a Super Bowl -- winning three games in a row against very good teams.  Putting aside coaching, you have a team that has the worse cap situation and a lot of players who are either descending (Rhodes, Joseph) or have reached the top of the hill and will be descending soon (Griffen, Reiff).  You could argue that the combination of the salary cap situation and the age of key players that the window for this core has closed.

One of the things that strikes me from yesterday was the discussion about how the 9ers used their draft capital on the trenches.  The Vikes have used their draft capital on dbacks.  That differently philosophy showed up yesterday.  Frankly, the best DB picked up during the Zimmer reign has been an undrafted free agent -- which I am still digesting as to what that means for the Zimmer/Speilman draft approach.  I trust Patterson in helping pick Dlineman and developing them but I think you really have to question Zimmer's ability to help in draft assessment of cornerbacks.  I will be upset if the Vikes pick a DB in the first round this year.

Someone else pointed this out last week, but Spielman himself seems to be great at finding DEs - he got Griffen, Robison, and even Ray Edwards before Patterson and Zimmer arrived, and I believe he did well at that position in Miami, too. The current coaches may have helped scout Hunter but they thought just as highly of Scott Crichton a year earlier.

Your observation about DB drafting is eye-opening. Zimmer has the "DB whisperer" reputation but he seems to need a lot of prime material for that unit. Maybe he should be the "DB worrier".
I think your concern about drafting a DB early is entirely valid. IMO the primary personnel narrative out of the team this offseason will be about the need to reinforce the defense and especially the backfield: Rhodes declined, we ran out of DBs due to injury, you can never have enough corners, 4 young DBs are free agents and at least some are going to leave - you can already write the day-after-draft justifications.

[Image: dz7orynqj87k.jpeg]
A room couldn’t hold ‘em...  Confused 

Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:

I agree with this. Player evaluation and acquisition has been a problem; in particular at certain position groups.
Errors in player aquisition are leading to salary cap limitations that may restrict flexibility in free agency and player retention in the future.

Some see this team as loaded with talent and on the cusp of a championship. The inference being, the coaching is inadequate.
That's not what I see.

Stefanski had games where he struggled but also had games where his play calling was quite good. And remember, he had Kubiak, Dennison, and others he consulted with throughout the week and during games.
The offense was as much hampered by an O line that was way below championship caliber, a running back who never had a run over 10 yards long for multiple games once injured, and a QB who has a tendency to check down in big moments, rather than risk a pick, despite having open receivers down field. That's what all the sideline bitching between the wide receivers and the QB have been about the past two seasons.

I think the coaching is good enough. I think the roster is overrated, especially on Vikings fan message boards. And I think player evaluation and acquisition is an organizational weakness.

I realize this is a different perspective than most. It's just the way I see it.

Funny about the hurry up.

I've seen us try to go hurry up all season, without a play behind it that mattered. Kirk in his own little world like "lets go! hurry up! get to the line!" I've seen us get them off balance with a play, hurry up to the line, and then go and call a stupid cloud-of-dust running play, making it 3rd down, waaay too many times. Super uncoordinated. We tried to get it going, we stopped when we realized we didn't know how the hell to take advantage of an on paper opportunity. Or maybe Kirk just realized the offensive play calls weren't on the same page...