Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Zimmer and RS under contract next year???
I should know this, I think they are. 

Sure places a lot of weight on this years post-season. I really dont have a sense of how thin the ice is (or is not) for one or both of them.

Lot of teams would give a left nut for double-digit wins and a tix to the dance

.[Image: item-hex-nut-zp__56745.1568821669.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on]

My recollection is they are going into the final year of their contracts - but "playing on your final year" is seen as undesirable for people and a form of "prove it". But they might get further extensions - will be very interesting.

Thought they both got a one year extension to start the year. 

Extended through 2020, hopefully in good hindsight.

I think Spielman was under contract next year and then they gave Zimmer a one year extension to match that, so I think they're both under contract through next year.  I would imagine that they would make a decision this offseason.

I have been assuming Zimmer and Spielman have been given the length of Cousins' contract (through next year), so I was kind of surprised that Jason LaCanfora had some remarks about Zimmer (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-w...-and-more/) - mostly putting him on the "2020 hot seat" list, but also some regarding this offseason:

"Perhaps a lopsided wild-card loss by the Vikings could prompt some action from ownership"
and
               "I wouldn't be totally shocked if something happened in Minnesota next week. Hearing a lot of rumblings there, Mike Zimmer's team hasn't been able to go from good to great and there remain issues about how he deals with his offensive staff."

So is there any chance Zimmer is playing for his job next week? It would kind of explain the decision to rest starters yesterday, which no doubt prompted some angry calls from season-ticket holders.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
I have been assuming Zimmer and Spielman have been given the length of Cousins' contract (through next year), so I was kind of surprised that Jason LaCanfora had some remarks about Zimmer (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-w...-and-more/) - mostly putting him on the "2020 hot seat" list, but also some regarding this offseason:

"Perhaps a lopsided wild-card loss by the Vikings could prompt some action from ownership"
and
               "I wouldn't be totally shocked if something happened in Minnesota next week. Hearing a lot of rumblings there, Mike Zimmer's team hasn't been able to go from good to great and there remain issues about how he deals with his offensive staff."

So is there any chance Zimmer is playing for his job next week? It would kind of explain the decision to rest starters yesterday, which no doubt prompted some angry calls from season-ticket holders.
If they picked-up the phone and complained I couldn't disagree with them more.

I'm a season tix holder and totally agree with resting most of the starters. I just gave my tix to someone who could bring their son with them.

Win/Win/Win - for me, the team and my season tix buddies kid. 

Spielman ain't going anywhere. I think the Wilfs are smart enough to realize that he's one of the top GMs in the NFL. 

Zimmer, on the other hand, I can at least understand the conversation. It's not about wins and losses for me, it's about HOW he loses. So many games in the last 2 to 3 years where the team seemed ill-prepared, where our gameplan was just...wrong. Sometimes we're able to adjust and come back. Sometimes the hole is just too big. 

But I wouldn't give the LaCanfora comments any weight at all. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@Jor-El said:

If they picked-up the phone and complained I couldn't disagree with them more.

I'm a season tix holder and totally agree with resting most of the starters. I just gave my tix to someone who could bring their son with them.

Win/Win/Win - for me, the team and my season tix buddies kid. 
So you're happy because the rest may lead to playoff success. Will you feel any differently if that "strategic move" was pointless - that is, a big loss next week even with all those well-rested players?

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Spielman ain't going anywhere. I think the Wilfs are smart enough to realize that he's one of the top GMs in the NFL. 

Zimmer, on the other hand, I can at least understand the conversation. It's not about wins and losses for me, it's about HOW he loses. So many games in the last 2 to 3 years where the team seemed ill-prepared, where our gameplan was just...wrong. Sometimes we're able to adjust and come back. Sometimes the hole is just too big. 

But I wouldn't give the LaCanfora comments any weight at all. 

I think the only reason the Wilfs would fire Zimmer this year is if they are about to lose Stefanski to another team and feel he is more important long-term.