Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edwards on his way out??
Report: Vikings may need a new defensive coordinator in 2020Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator George Edwards is currently in the final year of his contract and he may be on his way out according to a recent report.When Mike Zimmer took over as the head coach of the Minnesota Vikings in 2014, he decided to bring in George Edwards to be his defensive coordinator. Since then, Edwards has maintained the same role with the Vikings during Zimmer’s entire tenure.
According to a recent report, however, Minnesota’s current defensive coordinator may be on his way out after this season.
https://thevikingage.com/2019/12/26/repo...ator-2020/

No offense to George but, does it matter?

I think I miss my appendix more.

A better DC can make a lot of difference

RAHEEM MORRISC, ATLANTA FALCONS
Falcons secondary coach Raheem Morris will be promoted to defensive coordinator after 2019.It's been a whirlwind season for Morris, who began the year as Atlanta's wide receivers coach before the Falcons reassigned him after their Week 9 bye. The move to defense proved beneficial for all involved and now Morris will move forward as the Falcons' D coordinator, spelling Dan Quinn, who had been serving in a dual capacity as both defensive coordinator and head coach. A long-time position coach (he also briefly served as Jon Gruden's successor in Tampa Bay), this will be Morris' first stint as an NFL D coordinator.
SOURCE: atlantafalcons.com

If he leaves, they would have to promote from within. Nobody who is in demand would come here for a one year deal. 

There's talk that Paul Geunther may be on the way out in Oakland. I know he and Zimmer were pretty tight from their days in Cincy, and Zim tried bringing him here but Geunther stayed as DC there. Might be a viable option.

I do think that the defense is need of some new ideas and while the core of it will stay the same, someone who could add some different wrinkles to what they already do would be a nice addition. In particular, there have been a lot of issues with coverage this year. If it was just Rhodes struggling, I could pass that off as a personnel issue, but our CB play as a whole has taken a step back, so maybe this is something that a new DC could help address even if Zimmer continues to call the plays. Bringing in Guenther seems likely, since he was Zimmer's first choice for DC & would already know most of the terminology, but with more spread & RPO concepts entering the NFL, it would be interesting to bring in someone with a college background. That probably won't happen, but I'd welcome a new set of eyes on the defense.

Its very rare to see D's dominate like the old days...Even watching SF a few times this year, there is only so much a team can do to limit all those RPO, Jet Sweep, Spread concepts Tyr mentions above. 

All of that said, I still believe the cornerstones of an NFL franchise still lie with LT, QB and RDE. How would we rate our beloved Vikings at these positions?

Then lets talk about 3t...Even the elite QB's dont handle the pressure up the middle like off the edge. How do we rate there?

The fact this team is going to end-up with 10 or 11 wins actually surprises me. Funny, it feels like 8/8 again this season.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Its very rare to see D's dominate like the old days...Even watching SF a few times this year, there is only so much a team can do to limit all those RPO, Jet Sweep, Spread concepts Tyr mentions above. 

All of that said, I still believe the cornerstones of an NFL franchise still lie with LT, QB and RDE. How would we rate our beloved Vikings at these positions?

Then lets talk about 3t...Even the elite QB's dont handle the pressure up the middle like off the edge. How do we rate there?

The fact this team is going to end-up with 10 or 11 wins actually surprises me. Funny, it feels like 8/8 again this season.
There is absolutely no reason, outside of purple goggles, to think Minnesota is going to travel somewhere and win a playoff game. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@purplefaithful said:

There is absolutely no reason, outside of purple goggles, to think Minnesota is going to travel somewhere and win a playoff game. 
Unless they play all  under .500 teams in the playoffs.