Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#6 seed is a tough road...
Since Mike Zimmer arrived as coach, the Vikings have missed the playoffs in 2014, 2016 and 2018 and made it in 2015, 2017 and 2019. 
The Vikings play host to Green Bay (11-3) on Monday night, and still can win the NFC North, but they would need help. Minnesota would have to beat the Packers and Chicago (7-7) next Sunday at home and have the Packers lose next Sunday at lowly Detroit (3-10-1). 
If the Vikings don’t win the division, they would be a wild-card team and either the No. 5 or 6 seed in the NFC. 
At least the Vikings are back in the playoffs after they began last season with Super Bowl aspirations and finished 8-7-1. 
“I think it just speaks about the resolve of the team,’’ linebacker Anthony Barr said earlier Saturday about the prospect of returning to the postseason. “We’re a good football team when we do things the right way, and we don’t hurt ourselves. It says a lot about ownership all the way down to the players just about how we come together and how we go about our business and how we can be successful.’’ 
Vikings running back Dalvin Cook was ruled out Saturday for Monday’s game with a shoulder injury. A source said Minnesota having clinched a playoff berth now makes it much more likely that Cook also will sit out against the Bears to rest up for the playoffs. 
There are all sorts of playoff scenarios involved with the Vikings. If they win the division, they would get a home game to start the postseason and could even receive a first-round bye. 
The No. 5 seed would mean a game Jan. 4 or 5 at the NFC East winner, which will be Dallas (7-7) or Philadelphia (7-7). The No. 6 seed would mean a game that weekend at Green Bay, NFC South winner New Orleans (11-3) or at the NFC West winner, either the 49ers (12-3) or Seattle (11-3). 
“It’d be great,” Vikings nose tackle Linval Joseph said earlier Saturday about making the playoffs again. “That’s why we play this game, to make the playoffs and to win the Super Bowl.” 
With his third playoff berth in his six seasons, Zimmer ties Jerry Burns for the third-most appearances by a Minnesota coach. Bud Grant made it 12 times and Dennis Green eight times.
rams-lose-sending-vikings-back-to-playoffs-after-last-years-disappointment

So how do we get the 5 seed? I know I could look it up, but nothing seems up to date...

This is the closest I can find. Dont know if the narrative changed after SF beat the Rams???

At 11-3 (and 3-3 in their last six), the Niners are just a game ahead of the Vikings. If the Vikings win out and San Francisco loses to the Seahawks in Seattle in Week 17, the Vikings would leap them for the fifth seed because they'd have the common opponents tiebreaker. In that scenario, the Vikings would be 3-2 against the Redskins, Packers, Falcons, and Seahawks, while the Niners would be 2-3

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/viki...g-matchups

I've spun the playoff generator for the final 2 weeks of the season enough times to know that it is all but impossible for any team to "set up" their playoff path. These final 2 weeks feature so many inter-division games that they wildly effect seeding. You can set all of the winners up, change the outcome of one marquee matchup and boom... 3 or 4 NFC teams play musical chairs.

The Rams loss putting us in was a small taste of the craziness that is going to ensue over the next two weeks. Practically every game between 2 teams from here on out effects a 3rd and possibly 4th or 5th team in a major way.

Here: http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

Go with your gut and call the outcomes. Then go back and try selectively changing outcomes to get a desired seeding outcome. It starts getting comical how up in the air it all really is.

if we win out 

and the Seahawks win out we should be at worst the 5# seed (we own common winning percentage over SF)

That would mean Seattle 1, NFC east 4, Vikings 5. San Fran 6.

GB/NO 2/3 depending on their week 17 outcomes

Vikes could be 3# if GB loses to Detroit
Vikes could be 2# if GB and NO both lose out

Wow, thanks. I guess I didn't realize the #2 and #5 seeds were that, well, realistic. Not likely of course, but not crazy either. 

Crazy...

SF is what? 12/3 and could end-up the #6 seed?

WTF...

The 5 seed seems to have 2 options

@ Dallas, or @ Philly

I don't think the Vikings should try to position for the #5 seed instead of the #6 - I do think they should be trying to win their last two games and let the seeding fall where it will. But I think they will rest players the next two weeks.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
I don't think the Vikings should try to position for the #5 seed instead of the #6 - I do think they should be trying to win their last two games and let the seeding fall where it will. But I think they will rest players the next two weeks.
Nobody gets much rest tomorrow night.  Only those with lingering injuries like cook and mattison will be out/ limited.