Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Oh Boy, I hope sanity prevails...
Are cell phone calls on airplane flights inevitable?(CNN) — Ah, holiday travel. Between huge crowds and weather delays, flying during this time of year is hectic. Now close your eyes and imagine the entire scenario with one additional annoyance: Loud talkers yammering into their cell phones at 35,000 feet.
Don't worry -- this potentially ear-splitting scenario isn't a reality yet. At least not in the United States. But it could be soon. Some even say it's just a year or two away.The technology to support midair cell phone calls exists right now.
Just about every plane that offers WiFi has the bandwidth to support voice over the internet, and several international airlines allow voice calls on certain routes already. Still, at least on domestic US flights, voice calls are forbidden for four distinct reasons: flight attendants, public perception, concerns about safety and US law. 
Airline officials won't even consider in-flight cell-phone calls until or unless they feel there is overwhelming demand from customers to provide the service, according to Henry Harteveldt, president of Atmosphere Research Group, a travel industry analysis firm in San Francisco. Even then, airlines still may not cave in. 
"No matter how you look at it, allowing cell phone calls on planes is controversial," he says. "These are precisely the kinds of issues airlines tend to avoid addressing unless they must."
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/cell-...index.html

Don't expect it in the U.S. anytime soon. They need to work on better WiFi on the flights, which they've been able to make better for years but won't do it.

Please no. Please. This cannot happen. It's never polite, well-mannered people that take advantage of technology like this (because they understand it'd be obnoxious). It'll only be an upgrade to oblivious, loud people.

No just no. Not only there are people that put their dirty, nasty, stinky feet on armrests and now this. That would be a horrible flight with all that obnoxious noise going on. I can't imagine this happening though.

Quote: @"Vikergirl" said:
No just no. Not only there are people that put their dirty, nasty, stinky feet on armrests and now this. That would be a horrible flight with all that obnoxious noise going on. I can't imagine this happening though.
The latest thing I'm noticing with more frequency is people not using headphones. They'll just have full on conversations, louder than normal for whatever reason, with speakerphone on in public. Or my favorite are the people that play their music either through their phones speakers or, lately I'm seeing, through their own little set of bluetooth speakers.

I started carrying a couple pairs of earbuds with me in my backpack, and I seriously fantasize about offering them to somebody loudly in public. "Here, go ahead. You can keep them! No worries, I just figured you'd left yours at home or something. Just trying to help!"

When I fly, I have over the ear headphones and an overkill of entertainment options. Even if I'm reading (which is usually the case) my head phones are on to drown out any background noise. 

Idiots talking on their phones wouldn't necessarily bother me.

Now sleeping on those long flights is another matter altogether. 

Just get some ANC headphones. There are other distractions on a plane far worse than people talking.... Which they do already.