Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings D Top 10 in stopping explosive plays
[Image: EMAModRXYAEL3yv?format=png&name=900x900]

I think the Vikings are helped a lot in this stat by their run defense ...  we rarely give up explosive runs.  I'm willing to bet that the majority of those explosive plays are from the secondary.

That said...  if we can start playing tighter coverage, it gives a person hope that this defense can be dominant again.

Vikings are bottom 5 in total QBE allowed on throws that travel more than 16 yards through the air. Teams just haven't attached them enough deep to hurt their overall status and like Wetlander said they don't get gashed by big runs.

Wilson is #1 by a mile in passer rating on deep balls but only tried a few against Minnesota.  Zimmer deserves credit for that. If the run Defense had held up it's a totally different game. 

This defense has been  as fragile as Xavier Rhodes. 

Quote: @Mattyman said:
This defense has been  as fragile as Xavier Rhodes. 

Yet it is top 10 in rush, scoring and sacks.

4 rushes over 20
1 over 40

Does this have anything to do with having a safety in the box at the snap on most plays?  They are playing D to stop the run at the expense of traditional pass coverage so it stands to reason that pass coverage will suffer.

Add in Rhodes decline and Hughes inability to play tough on bigger receivers and it's going to give up some plays to receivers.  I think the inconsistent pass rush is as much to blame as the drop off in coverage.