Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings development system on display...
Vikings development system on display in Los AngelesCARSON, Calif. — In training camp it was clear that Ifeadi Odenigbo was determined to make the Minnesota Vikings’ roster this time around.
He had been cut twice by the Vikings since being picked in the seventh round of the 2017 draft and had a cup of coffee with several other teams. But he was making plays on the inside and outside of the defensive line and consistently standing out. He ultimately made the team but didn’t see much playing time early in the year. Recently, however, the ex-Northwestern star has been a key playmaker for the defense and the  biggest play of his career came on Sunday.
The Vikings turned the ball over with under one minute left in the second quarter of their 39-10 win over the Los Angeles Chargers and appeared to hand Philip Rivers a chance at producing points on each side of halftime. But superstar Danielle Hunter stripped Rivers and Odenigbo picked it up and ran 56 yards for a game-changing touchdown.
“It’s pretty neat especially doing it against the Chargers because I grew up a Chargers fan because of LaDanian Tomlinson to watching Philip Rivers,” Odenigbo said after the game. “Now being able to play them and score my first touchdown, it’s pretty cool. I’m very grateful.”
“Ifeadi has played well all year, he did a nice job coming in and getting in the nickel,” head coach Mike Zimmer said. “That was a big play, he hustles all the time. That was great for us. The game was kind of going back and forth at that point, for us to get that right before the half was really big.”
Odenigbo also picked up his fifth sack of the season, which you wouldn’t have imagined when he saw just 12 snaps on opening day and only seven snaps in Week 7.
He is hardly the only player to develop from either the late rounds or undrafted to make an impact on the Vikings’ season and their win over the Chargers. Former fourth-round pick Jaleel Johnson also sacked Rivers and saw a large percentage of snaps on the interior. On the offensive side Mike Boone scored his first two career touchdowns.
“We have all of our guys who have done a nice job stepping up too, like today Boone and Olabisi Johnson has played well throughout the course of the year,” Zimmer said. “We’ve had a lot of guys come in and it’s a credit to the scouts and the coaches doing a nice job getting these guys prepared. Watts has played quite a bit lately, Jaleel Johnson, all those things are good".

https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2019...s-angeles/

Whats amazing to me is the amount of fans that want to cast Zimmer and Slick Rick aside in favor of greener grass on the other side. 

We are actually turning low picks into players.  That hasn't been done much since I became a fan some 30 years ago. 

I believe Ifeadi had a key tackle in the Dallas game when we stopped them on fourth down.  it wasn’t the 4th down but something like the 2nd or 3rd when he penetrated into the Dallas’ backfield if memory serves me right.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
Whats amazing to me is the amount of fans that want to cast Zimmer and Slick Rick aside in favor of greener grass on the other side. 

We are actually turning low picks into players.  That hasn't been done much since I became a fan some 30 years ago. 
Agreed.  The D played lights out for most of the game.  Aside from giving up some early 3rd and longs, they were dominant.  Starting with stud de Hunter.

That fumble TD was 3 amazing plays by him.  Canned the tackle on his ass to make rivers jump back to protect his legs, strip sack, then get up and shit can another lineman so odenigbo could score

Agree with the positive sentiment regarding player development. This is probably the best staff Zimm has assembled.

The pass defense is still a concern to me. Too many chunk plays. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Agree with the positive sentiment regarding player development. This is probably the best staff Zimm has assembled.

The pass defense is still a concern to me. Too many chunk plays. 
Oh absolutley the pass D hasnt been there this year and likely ends our season because of it but you dont toss the whole system because of “1 playoff win” when anyone can see that what we’re doing bye and large is working. 

Zimmer needs to do something different on third and long.  You just cannot let Rivers convert on third and 13 or third and 17.  If Rivers can, then so can Rodgers and Brees and Wilson and .... We seem to give up long completions every which way. Sometimes the DB is there but has his back to the QB and never sees the ball so the receiver makes a play. Other times the DB arrives well after the ball. The completion is uncontested. He sent Barr one time on a delayed blitz and caused an intentional grounding. We have some talent in the secondary. They can stay with their man for a bit. Force the QB to get rid of the ball quickly. Make them make perfect throws. Do something. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:

Exactly.  After we stupidly let Denny go because he finally had his first losing season after 10 years of being the head coach, it took the Vikings almost 15 years to find a head coach of similar caliber.

I can't believe people want to get rid of Zimmer and go through all of that BS all over again.