Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't sleep on those Bolts...
The Los Angeles Chargers are 5-8, out of the playoff race and have no home-field advantage as visiting fans routinely overtake 27,000-seat Dignity Health Sports Park.
But Vikings coach Mike Zimmer seems to be having an easy time convincing his team that mentor Bill Parcells’ famous quote about being what your record says you are doesn’t apply to the Chargers team that will host the Vikings on Sunday.
“They beat Chicago. And they beat Green Bay,” said Zimmer, whose 9-4 squad has done neither. “When they don’t turn the ball over, they’re pretty hard to beat.”
And that, of course, brings us to the ultimate wild card in any game involving the Chargers the past 16 years and 222 consecutive games:
Philip Michael Rivers.
He’s third in passing yards (3,748) this season but also third in interceptions (15). He has nine touchdowns and two turnovers in five wins, but he also has 11 touchdowns and 15 turnovers in eight losses, including a comeback-killing pick at the goal line in the final minute of a 13-10 loss to a Lions team the Vikings beat twice by a combined 25 points.
“He’s going to throw the ball into tight spaces,” Zimmer said. “He’s going to give the receivers a chance.
http://www.startribune.com/veteran-charg...566094811/

There are other reasons for the Vikings not to look past the Chargers. Such as:
• All eight losses are by seven points or fewer. The Chargers’ point differential of plus-38 is better than 10-3 Seattle’s.
• In Jacksonville, Ekeler topped 100 yards both rushing and receiving in just 12 touches, the fewest ever needed. Herschel Walker set the previous mark of 15 touches in 1986.
• Mike Williams has a league-high eight catches of 40 yards or more.
• The Chargers rank 10th in total offense, fourth in total defense and eighth in points allowed (19.3).
• The Chargers are getting healthier with key starters such as left tackle Russell Okung and safety Derwin James — a “game-wrecker,” according to Zimmer — back in the lineup.
And, oh yeah, they won at Chicago and also beat the Packers at home by 15 points while holding them to 184 yards and two third-down conversions.

Personally I think this is going to be a difficult and dangerously easy game to lose...They better bring the A Game and not be looking past SD towards the GB MNF match-up. 

If the Chargers are on their game and we aren't, we don't stand a chance in hell. Let's just hope that Rivers has a few more mistakes up his sleeve and that the Vikings get Thielen back and play the kind of complete game we haven't seen since, what, week 6? 

I think this will be a tough game, and another good test like the Squawks road game.
If
the running game is shutdown again like it was against Seattle, Denver,
and KC, then I think we'll probably lose.  The Vikes were lucky they
played a rookie QB against Denver.  I doubt a vet QB like Rivers would
lose a big lead like that.
I think the Chargers
have the better D, and if they stop us from scoring more than 20,
they'll win.  If the Vikes can control the ball and get Cook's running
game rolling, I like the Vikes to win this one by scoring often.
My main concern is the Viking defense.  I'm not sure they can hold the Charges to fewer than 25 points.
Team Ranks

MIN LAC
Home Record6-0-0 2-4-0
Away Record3-4-0 3-4-0
Record vs. Spread7-6-0 4-7-2
Points Scored/Game26.1 (7th) 22.2 (18th)
Points Allowed/Game19.2 (7th)19.3 (8th)
Takeaway Diff.+5 (9th) -10 (28th)
Pass Yds/Game239 (14th) 278 (5th)
Rush Yds/Game135 (4th) 97 (22nd)
Def. Pass Yds/Game236 (16th) 196 (4th)
Def. Rush Yds/Game101 (11th) 108 (17th)

Bolts?? How about nails. Sleeping on a bed of nail is crazy.
[Image: em40cgqawx03.jpg]

This is just the next most important game of the year.
No pressure. Don't lose any sleep over it.

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
This is just the next most important game of the year.
No pressure. Don't lose any sleep over it.
Yup. Until next week! Wink

The bolts are a huge threat at home.  we need to play well in all phases and protect the ball to win

I might be crazy but this game scares me more than the Pukers does.