Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pretty good breakdown of our playoff hopes
(WCCO)- Fourteen weeks into the regular season, and Mike Zimmer and the Minnesota Vikings are clinging to the final NFC playoff spot. The Los Angeles Rams and Chicago Bears are right behind them. With a 9-4 record and three games left before the end of the regular season, the Vikings have a 71% chance of making the postseason, according to FiveThirtyEight’s playoff projection model. ESPN’s Football Power Index is even more bullish, placing their chances at about 81%.
While the odds seem to be in the team’s favor, a postseason berth is far from secure. Realistically, the path to the postseason lies in the team’s own hands. If they win each of their last three matchups against the Chargers, Packers and Bears, they are a lock, with seeding as the only question. If they lose one of those three games, they would also need the Rams to drop one of their final three in order to secure their spot.
Losing two of three games means the team would need a lot of help. The Rams would have to drop two games (@DAL, @SF, vs ARI) and the Bears would need to lose at least once (@GB, vs. KC, @MIN). So, basically, the Vikings need to win their final three games to assure themselves of that playoff spot. The good news? FiveThirtyEight’s game projection model gives them a 57, 63, and 68 percent win probability in their final three games.
Now, if the team aspires to more than just a playoff berth — and they surely do, as does any NFL team — things get more complicated. The Daily Norseman broke down how the Vikings could earn a first-round bye:
  • Win all three of their games
  • Packers would need to lose two of three, including the Week 16 matchup in Minnesota.
  • The Saints have to lose either another conference game or two of their final three; or the Seahawks have to lose two more games; or the 49ers must lose to the Falcons and Seahawks.
Head spinning yet? Welcome to NFL playoff scenario season. The first step in the process begins on Sunday, when the Vikings face the Los Angeles Chargers, with kickoff set for 3:25 p.m. Central Time.

Why does it sound like a Zulgad piece?  Minnesota writers always have such a negative slant.
Clinging, far from secure

Quote: @greediron said:
Why does it sound like a Zulgad piece?  Minnesota writers always have such a negative slant.
I actually read that as encouraging. The thing that stands out to me is that even if we lose one more, the only thing that needs to happen for us to still make the playoffs is the Rams need to also lose once (@DAL@SF, vs ARI). So the odds are definitely in our favor. For whatever that's worth.  

Really love to see the Bears beat the Packers and the Vikings win in LA. That makes that Xmas Eve's Eve game against the yellow team a title game. Man, I'm nervous already. 

Where was the negativity?  Seemed fair to me. 

Creating drama. Its what they're taught to do. 

I refuse to click on any article from Zughead or Cronin. Jughead is a packer fan nor sure what her problem is. But they are always snarky and negative to the Vikings. Just report the damn facts, I will can decide on my own what to think about the Vikings.

Quote: @FessVike said:
I refuse to click on any article from Zughead or Cronin. Jughead is a packer fan nor sure what her problem is. But they are always snarky and negative to the Vikings. Just report the damn facts, I will can decide on my own what to think about the Vikings.
Zulgag can't even write about a win without focusing on negatives.  I like to enjoy my wins, so not sure who his target audience is.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:
I actually read that as encouraging. The thing that stands out to me is that even if we lose one more, the only thing that needs to happen for us to still make the playoffs is the Rams need to also lose once (@DAL@SF, vs ARI). So the odds are definitely in our favor. For whatever that's worth.  

Really love to see the Bears beat the Packers and the Vikings win in LA. That makes that Xmas Eve's Eve game against the yellow team a title game. Man, I'm nervous already. 
With the way the Packers are playing right now...  I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears can pull off an upset. 

In the second half of the season, the Packers are 3-2 and two of those victories were one score games over the Panthers and Redskins in Lambeau.  Their two losses were blowouts.  The media keeps looking at that 10-3 record for Green Bay and thinks they are a potential Super Bowl contender, but if you've actually watched them play for the last month...  their offense is really inconsistent and struggles to sustain drives and their defense has fallen back to earth after a hot start.

They could easily lost their next two games and then have to go on the road to play a Lions team that should have beat them earlier in the year.  It's going to be an exciting next three weeks!

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:

With the way the Packers are playing right now...  I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears can pull off an upset. 

In the second half of the season, the Packers are 3-2 and two of those victories were one score games over the Panthers and Redskins in Lambeau.  Their two losses were blowouts.  The media keeps looking at that 10-3 record for Green Bay and thinks they are a potential Super Bowl contender, but if you've actually watched them play for the last month...  their offense is really inconsistent and struggles to sustain drives and their defense has fallen back to earth after a hot start.

They could easily lost their next two games and then have to go on the road to play a Lions team that should have beat them earlier in the year.  It's going to be an exciting next three weeks!
Couldn't agree more. I say it over and over again (with proper credit to the Trapper of course), it's not who you play but when you play them. Bears look scary again, as I thought they might late in the year, and the Packers look like a .500 team. Just saw a breakdown on Twitter of just how bad Rodgers has been.

For the record, most ESPN talking heads rate the Vikings as the superior team even if GB wins the division. Lots of points made about their inconsistent Offense and leaky Defense.